Expat meeting this Friday

Hi all,

last Fridays meeting was great fun.

This week Friday 26 th March from 8 pm onwards  we are going to try something different.

One of our regulars,Trisha, has organized an evening at SJI's in Paceville .It is a soft jazz club ( whatever that is).
For more details see www.jazzmalta.com

For future Friday events keep watching this thread as I will post the dates and places here.

Look forward to seeing you there on Friday.

Ricky

I stick this discussion :)

I'm planning to go this Friday for a little while (need to make an airport run to pick up my husband at midnight), and I'm working on convincing 'Tilap' to attend as well, as she's currently bunking with me in B'kara :-)

Kes (aka Sarafima)

P.S. - how will I know who everyone is when I arrive at the jazz bar?

Hi Kes,

please send me your e-mail so I can put you on our mailing list.The one I had with @utoronto did not work!

Just ask for Ricky or Trisha or look out for a lively Expat looking group.

SJI's is down Church Str. which leads down from the roundabout in front of Portomaso past the church.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Just a quick reminder about this evenings Expat meeting at SJI's in Paceville.

It is situated in Church Street just down from the Portomaso roundabout past Arcadia supermarket on the right side.

Look forward to seeing you later

Ricky

Hey Ricky, thanks for Friday. It was great, I really enjoyed putting some faces to names :-)

Looking forward to the boat trips!

Kes

Couldn't make it on Friday :( but I'm interested to know what the "boat trips" are all about - please tell, or do we have to turn up to future get togethers...which we are hoping to do anyway.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Missed you on Friday in Paceville!

Don't worry , you are on our mailing list and I will be putting the boot trip details on this thread as soon as the weather permits and I have the details. We intend to start with our private Expat Sunday cruises around the end of April.It might be still too cool to jump in but we will still have a great party cruise around Comino Island.

Stay tuned in to get the next details.

Ricky

Hi there!!
Sarafima is right, she tried to convince me however I just moved into my new flat last Friday and IŽve got a horrible cold so I couldn't join the meeting...
Anyway next meeting IŽll do. I will keep on checking the blog for get the news...

Looking forward to attend..

Aída

Hi all,
How young is the youngest person at these meetings ? I am only 17 and keen to meet up with expats.

What is done at these meetings ? Is it a couple of drinks or do people stay very late ?

Hi,

All age groups are represented with the youngest being around 20. Of course not everybody comes each week.So just come along!

We get together to talk, have a few drinks and sometimes we have something to eat too,last Friday  we were in a jazz club and people usually start leaving around 11 pm or go on to other clubs.

We have not decided on coming Friday yet as it is Good Friday so stay tuned to this thread.I will be back with the info soon.

Ricky

Hi ,

I just got the news that we will be meeting at the Palace Hotel in Sliema this Friday , the 2 nd April from 8 pm onwards.

So everybody who doesn't want to stay at home on Good Friday is welcome to come along to ' Talk of Town' and celebrate with fellow Expats.

Look forward to seeing you there and for all the rest

Happy Easter

Ricky

Hi Ricky
IŽm planning to go this Friday if everything goes good.
How can I find you?
are you meeting in the entrance or in any coffee area inside the Palace Hotel??
Is High St the same that Triq it-Torri? I donŽt see Hight street in MaltaŽs directory (yellow pages).

It is going to be my first time in there so IŽm a bit lost...

See you
Aída

Hi,

We are meeting at the Talk of the Town bar on the ground floor near the entrance.It is my first visit to the Palace Hotel too.Just look for an Expat looking group or ask for Trisha or Ricky.

The street is also called Il Kbira and is in the centre of Sliema leading of Dingli Street.So it is not on Tower Road but just a short walk from there.

See you on Friday - you won't be lost .

Ricky

Thanks Ricky,
I get it.IŽve already localized it on the map.

See you then...

Aída

We had a really nice evening even if the bar at the Palace Hotel left us without drinks for most of the evening. But we had light ! At 7.30 pm the lights in Malta went out once again and as the Palace Hotel has their own power generator, many locals flocked to our meeting place leaving the service unable to cope .

But that is really no excuse for a so-called 5-star hotel not being to call in extra staff !So that was probably our last meeting there!

So look out for the post about our next weeks meeting.

Happy Easter everybody

Hi,

We are getting together this Friday 9 th April for our weekly Expat meeting at :

Terrazza Restaurant & Wine Bar, Spinola bay, St. Julian's at 8 pm .
Free welcome drink (wine, spirit or beer) and free nibbles plus 10% off all drinks purchased.

Everyone is welcome bring your friends.

So I look forward to seeing you all there.

Ricky

We are meeting this Friday 16 th April at Eden Bowling in Paceville.The deadline to book for bowling itself was on Monday but there will be many Expats just turning up to watch and chat.So just come along and ask for Trisha and Expats.

If you are interested in bowling contact Trisha on 77050770 to see if she can still get you onto a lane.

Ricky

Hi Everyone,

FRIDAY,23 rd April

We will be meeting at TIFFANY'S  cocktail bar- Portomaso

Welcome Drink and 50% off all cocktails between 8pm - 10pm
bring your friends - everybody's welcome -

Newbies just ask for Trisha . I won't be there as I'm in Germany until next Monday if the ash cloud over Europe has been blown away by then.

Have a great week everyone and see you all soon.

Ricky

Sounds good I'm in!

how do I join your mailing list?

ricky wrote:

Hi Everyone,

FRIDAY,23 rd April

We will be meeting at TIFFANY'S  cocktail bar- Portomaso

Welcome Drink and 50% off all cocktails between 8pm - 10pm
bring your friends - everybody's welcome -

Newbies just ask for Trisha . I won't be there as I'm in Germany until next Monday if the ash cloud over Europe has been blown away by then.

Have a great week everyone and see you all soon.

Ricky

Hopefully (Ryanair providing) I shall be arriving in Malta today, Thursday, and would love to come tomorrow to the meetup.  Can anyone tell me if there is a bus to get me to Tiffany's from Swieqi (Montpelier Gardens, Triq-il-Gizimin), as that is where I shall be staying initially.

This is my first time ever in Malta so I am clueless as to where everything is!!! Thanks, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi,

You are actually within walking distance.Just ask some locals about the best route to Portomaso as you will have to get across the Regional Road somewhere.It is the same route you will take to get to St.Julians/Paceville.

Have fun.

Ricky

Do you guys ever meet in Bugibba/Qawra ?

I'm sorry to have to answer - no!

Most of the regulars are based in the area between Msida,Swieqi and St. Julians/Pembroke and many just take a stroll to get to the meetings.

How about starting a Buggibba/Qawra/St.Paul's Bay group?

Ricky

Ricky
that sounds like a great idea
I will join both of them since I love friday's ones but I'm living in Bugibba!!
DavieL, just come one friday and we can talk about it!! any way is not so hard to move once a week to a diferent area;)

See you

Hi,

something is plan for friday 30 ?

I'm also interesting by starting a Buggibba/Qawra/St.Paul's Bay group.

Have a good day

Laurent

I think it's Terrazo, Spinola Bay, St. Julians at 20:00 :-) directions are in a previous post.

Hi all,

Yes,it is at Terrazza.
Sorry for being so late with the info but we moved house on Wednesday and I was just in action from early to late since Monday.

See you all this evening

Ricky

Our next meeting is at a new but very nice place:

We will be meeting at the Captains Bar on the Black Pearl at 8 pm on Friday , 7 th May 2010 in Ta'Xbiex Seafront

The Black Pearl was the ship in the 'Popeye' film and has been restored and turned into a restaurant/bar

Look forward to seeing you all there.New members are always welcome. Just ask for Trisha.

Ricky

On Friday 14 th May we will be back at Tiffany's at Portomaso/St.Julians for our Expats meeting.

There will be a welcome drink and 50 % off Cocktails from 8 pm to 9 pm.

Everybody's welcome - see you there - just ask for Trisha.

Ricky

Thanks Ricky for continuing to post the venues each week.  It is very helpful!  I am having a great time at them, have enjoyed all 3 so far!

Here is a question for all those reading this who might be leaving Malta.  Does anyone have any household items they want to get rid of?  I am talking of little things like saucepans, wooden spoons (can't find any anywhere!!!), oven mits, etc.  If I find them in the shops here they are ridiculously expensive for the poor quality.  I have just moved in to my flat (2 weeks ago) and although it is furnished with basics, there are certain items that I miss from home! 

So if anyone has extras or knows a good place to shop, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks,
Anna

hey anna ..... u should make a visit to sunday markets .. the prices there are much cheaper compare to other places ....... u can find market in valetta from 7am to 1pm ... also in attard from 1pm to 5pm ..... take care

Hi,

That's a very good tip for things around the house.

This Friday ,May 21 st we are meeting at :

Terrazza Restaurant and Wine Bar, Spinola Bay, St
Julian's from 8 pm onwards.

Complementary welcome drink and complementary nibbles between 8pm and 9pm
Location: walk through the back of Paparazzi restaurant, turn right and go down the steps and turn left onto the boat jetty area and along until you come to the steps to TERRAZZA.

Everyone is welcome bring your friends.

See you all there

Ricky

Hassan Asran wrote:

hey anna ..... u should make a visit to sunday markets .. the prices there are much cheaper compare to other places ....... u can find market in valetta from 7am to 1pm ... also in attard from 1pm to 5pm ..... take care

Hi Hassan, Thanks for that info, I have been to the market in Valletta, also last week I found a shop selling all household items you can think of - everything for the bathroom and kitchen from big to small.  Prices not too bad either.  It's on Merchant St in Valletta.

Hi Ricky, what's the latest in terms of events?
Thanks,
Chris

Hi all, we're a Maltese/British couple in our 50's living in Malta. We're very young at heart and have all sorts of interests such as motorcycling, theatre, rock, blues and jazz, the beach etc etc etc etc! We'd be interested in meeting other couples to hang out with.
PS. we don't bite!
Love, C and K.

Hi ChrisnKate,

Please send me a private message with your e-mail and I will keep you updated on our schedule and have you added to our mailing list.
And we could get together too ! You are in our age group -)) We are an American/British mix living in Sliema.

Regards

Ricky

Hi, we are coming over tomorrow for a week to find a school and a place to live. Are you all meeting up at all during the next 7 days??

Hi Honney,

Yes , there is a meeting this Friday.

Drinks Friday 4th June at Fusion 4 restaurant & Bar - Valletta
- 8pm

Fusion 4 restaurant & Bar is an award winning venue in Valletta
Complementary wine on arrival with 246 expats token
Complementary nibbles
Price €2 per person; see Trisha on arrival to get your token to avail of these great specials offered for this evening.

Directions = Fusion 4, St.John's Cavalier street, Valletta.
Walk through City Gate take the first turn left (past Burger King)
Up the hill and turn left again and Fusion 4 is at the top of the hill on
The left. Walk through the restaurant to the outside terrace for
Another special evening of drinks.
(actually you can see their terrace if you look to the left before you go
through the main Valletta gate)

Regards
Ricky