ADEC Housing-What's Typical

I have signed a contract with ADEC with working location in Abu Dhabi.  What are the apartments like that they provide you with.  I am married with one child and this is notated on my contract.  They told me we would receive a two bedroom flat.  Is anyone else in a similar boat?

Hi

We are in the same situation as you.  Me and my husband will be going over there, wondering how the apartment thing works.

Check out dubizzle.com. They have some good examples of what some flats and villas look like. I'm still confused as to what unfurnished means. Does it mean no syove and fridge or does it mean no furniture. I did find out that the kids don't come back to school until sept 15. Have u heard anything back after u signed ur contract. Thanks for any input.

I guess that you are luckly to be working with ADEC, as far as I know, they provide excellent housing options. You can always give them a call and ask though, I'm sure that they would be more than glad to answer you.

Hi,
I have signed a contract with ADEC and I'm now concerned that I didn't confirm what the single housing allowancce will be. Can anyone enlighten me. I am worried I will not be able to find accommodation within the allowance.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Susan

skg348 wrote:

I didn't confirm what the single housing allowancce will be. Can anyone enlighten me.

How about asking your employer? :rolleyes:

That is a logical suggestion and I have done that, but to date I have had no reply.

I am becoming increasingly aware that things take thier time in the UAE. I just tend to be a bit of an organisation freak and like to get things done; sooner rather than later.

skg

Hi, unfurnished here typically means completely empty including no cooker, associated gas bottle, light fittings, blinds, curtains etc. These you would need to be purchased by you.  Housing allowances here are designed to meet 'basic needs' so often don't cover your 'desired housing'expectations and so its a matter of making decisions around your own personal goals, spending priorities and circumstances.  Al Reef is where a lot of teachers with families have moved which is off island and on the far side of the airport. Prices around 145-165K DH per annum for 3-4 brm.  Single accomodation is more available closer in to the city with the added benefit of access to cheap transportation.  For example buses are only 1 dirham for each person (US$1=3.67 dirham) and taxis also really cheap.  Traffic congestion on-island can be horrendous especially in and around the tourist club area of the city.  Often educational staff are accommodated firstly in a 'hotel' for a period of time so that gives you some time to find your way around, have a safe haven, be close to supermarkets and then make some longer term 'informed' decisions re housing, transportation options etc.  Yes things do take time and can require a new level of patience and acceptance.

Don't know about ADEC but ofen the single housing allowances vary from about DH75K pa to 160K or so depending on industry, position and rank/status.  Hope this helps a little :-)

I am interviewing with ADEC in Atlanta, GA on the 5th... any advice on the interview!