Single Parent/teacher

I've been told you can teach as a single parent in the UAE in particular Abu Dhabi. I have applied through the organization called "Teach Away."
Has anyone worked through this company before?

And I would be curious to know if there are any other moms doing the teaching and single parenting thing and how it's working out for them!

Hail back...

Cheers and thanks!

Hi

I am not single, but I am working wiht Teach Away also, the person we have been working with is Kate Manning, so far she has been extremely helpful.  My in person interview is June 9th in San Francisco.  How far along in the process are you?

Arleen

Hi Arleen:

I've been in touch with Kate Manning as well. She encouraged me to apply and said they had lots of single moms teaching in Abu Dhabi, but I would certainly love to talk with someone who's been there and done that! Are you taking family over? I'm curious about the cost of putting kids in International schools.  I am not far at all in the process, I just sent my application off a few days ago, so we shall see if I even get past the resume stage. Great for you that you are going on the interview, you must be so excited! Please let me know how it turns out for you, I would love to keep in touch with someone who's going through the process!  All the Best, Mary-Anne :)

I would be happy to keep in contact with you.  I am older, it would be me and mu husband going over there if i get an offer.  What grade do you teach?  Third here, but because of the budget, my contract was not renewed, along with many more in the district.

I am older as well (mid forties to be exact) and a late bloomer in the teaching field. I returned to school only 3 years ago so I am a fairly new teacher, and surprise, there are few full time jobs here as well unless you are French. I have a steady stream of supply work and teach everyday of the week on both the Catholic and Public boards from JK to grade 8. I am sought after for a junior behavior class as not many want to teach the 'challenging" kids but I love it. I am returning to the government during the summer for a contract, but am next in line for a teaching contract come September. However, I would jump at the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and teach in another part of the world. Thanks for getting back to me! I am sending you all positive thoughts that you will be one of the lucky ones chosen.

I found the live work explore list of international schools for Dubai really helpful.  Here is a link to the Abu Dhabi list:

liveworkexplore.com/abu-dhabi/residents/residents/education/primary-_and_-secondary-schools

Schools normally list their fee structure on their websites.

Thanks for this link...I have started the selection process with "teach Away" and should know over the next few weeks if I'll be heading off to Abu Dhabi in August.

I'm in the interview process for a teaching job in Abu Dhai public school system.If hired, what will be the cost of livng for a family of four including tuition for dependents. Accomodation and utilities are paid by company.

How is it going with Teach Away.  I had my final in person yesterday in San Francisco, I will have a contract by tomorrow they said, me and husband are off to Abu Dhabi in August, I will be teaching third grade.  Very impressed s far with Teach Away so far.

Congrats...I too made it through to the face to face interview lined up in Toronto early July. But after a night of thinking about it all, I realized I just can't get it all together for the August timeframe. I'm really concerned about schooling for my daughter I couldn't get much info from them regarding good or not so good schools. Not to mention there are no subsidies offered, so the reality for me is a significant amount of my paycheque would be going to her tuition. I had an excellent rep and he said I could also consider going in the Nov. timeframe and in Al Ain the tuition is about 1/3 the cost of Abu Dhabi, so I haven't totally ruled it out, but for August I definitely have. I would love to keep in touch with you to see how it all works out for you. Are you on Facebook? You should join the "Teach Away" group, some really great information is posted and an awesome networking tool as well.
All the best with everything! Mary-Anne

Hi, I'm new to this blog and my husband and I have recently applied with Teach Away.  I was wondering if you could tell me how your process went.  What was the time frame from applying to hearing from someone?  It's only been a few days since we applied, but we still haven't heard from anyone, so we're getting a little concerned that we may just get looked over completely.  We would love to teach and live in Abu Dhabi, we're currently in California, but haven't been able to find any teaching jobs due to the economy.  Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I am on facebook, Arleen Booth D'Avis

Hello Rose and Nick

I heard back from Teach Away in a few days from when I sent the original app in.  It moved quickly from there to the phone interview and finally to the in person interview yeasterday in San Francisco.  Let me know if there is anything else I/we can help you with.  Wish I knew how to give you my email, dont really want to give it here

Arleen

Hi Arleen!

Thank you for the info.  I sent a message to your inbox with my email address.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Hope everything is going well with Teach Away.

Hello there,

Yes..I have applied for Teach Away and have a contract here. I am a single mom of two children also. Did they tell you that you can bring your kids with you on the initial flight? I cannot let them fly that distance alone without me . Let me know . Thanks,

MM

Hi,
I am a single mum working here in Abu Dhabi. I was offered a job with Teach Away last year but joined a different company. Yes teaching can be done as a single mum. You would need to sponsor a housemaid to help with your children. You would need to ask the company if they can help in the initial stages.  You need a visa before you can sponsor and that takes time so again ask your company.
School fees are quite expensive, you are better looking on the websites and trying to get some kind of schooling allownace from the company. Places in schools are a big issue and you need to look into this asap as many International schools are already full with waiting lists. there are smaller schools who follow various curriculums but the bigger International ones are by far the best bet. 
Check out where you are living and look into where the schools are. as teachers we are in school early so drop offs and pick uops are quite hard. Some schools have buses, some people send their housemaids in taxis with the kids.
Life is good here. I have 2 children who have grown up here and they have a rich life.
All the best.

I will be interviewing with Teach Away August 5th... I know cutting it close. I am also a single mom of a 7 year old. I am excited about the process. I hope I get the position, and that I can find a good school for my son. Any advice on the interview?

The best advice is to be honest about your teaching experiences and expectations. You and your son will have a grand time, I am sure. I have two boys myself who are 10 and 11, they will have a rewarding time there too.

Thanks Marthawilson.... We are really looking forward to it. I had a contract with a school in Dubai but they wanted to change my contract after the fact, so I have already prepared to go. They offered me single housing but said that they needed to for the first year have me share, so I decided not to go. Then the next day teach away called. So we will see! I am flying into Atlanta from CA so I hope it is worth the expense!

Hi Cali,

I would not share either, especially the first year, and with a child. We are with a company similar to Teach Away, but it is with ADEC, through the Ministry of Education. My boys are young enough and open minded about it too.  Am reading " The Arab World" by Fernea, lots of history from a couple who lived there 40 years.

Talk later,

MW