Looking for decent friends in beijing

hi there, iam a female beijinger and i work at CBD. Since i graduated from school, i rarely speak english. but i do love this language. so i hope i could find some friends here to pratice english with me. in return, id like to show u my city and the local people's lifestyle:)
looking forward to hearing u.

Hi,

I moved to Beijing about 2 weeks ago from California and would like to meet nice new people. So far, I've mostly only met foreigners like me, but I did not come here to meet a bunch of white people, lol. My boyfriend is Chinese, but I need to make some friends of my own.

I will start working soon, but I will have a lot of free time. I live next to the Sihui subway station. Maybe we could meet up for coffee or something.

I don't speak much Chinese yet, but I am looking for a school that fits into my schedule. Then we can do some language exchange too.

A little bit about me: I'm 33, American, vegetarian, friendly but shy at first, love music, and just want to enjoy life in my new city.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Shawna (or ShongNa)

Smile and Shong Na (maybe Xiong Na) suggest you both try the various Networking events.

Most Chambers of Commerce have monthly events - might be better fit though for Smile since the majority are foreigners. The Fortune Connection Club (FC Club)events attract approximately an equal number of foreigners and Chinese.

Shawna, habits are hard to break. Chinese people that I have known for yonks still insist on using English. Newer friends are happy to let me torture their language. In short Chinese friends yes but try as soon as possible to stop using 100% English.

Thanks for the tips, Manlin. For now, I'm stuck with English; I can't even spell my name, lol. I will look up the events. I am definitely not shying away from anyone, including my fellow foreigners. I'll take all the friends I can get!

I went to quiz night a Bookworm the first week I arrived, but it was a little too academic for my taste. Ha! I welcome your suggestions, so keep them coming.

positive0903@hotmail.com

Shawna, Beijing has almost everything one can think of so what do you like doing?

Often is easiest to make friends with people with similar interests.  Do you have any hobbies (if you do not want to share publicly you can send me a private message) that are often done in a group (for example: drama, a team sport, hiking, wine tasting, et cetera)or maybe via a local church or synagogue.

If you take group Chinese lessons as opposed to private lessons you might find some friends there (but again foreigners).

Regarding Chinese friends maybe the easiest for you, is to get to know your boyfriend's friend's girlfriends. Or to accept Smile's offer and meet her and her friends.

Walk through the kids playground when Mum and Little-un are there, strike up a conversation with the Mum...Your kid? How cute!  (assuming that you are not the kids should be seen and not heard type of person).

Does that help?

Shawna in the Raw wrote:

Hi,

I moved to Beijing about 2 weeks ago from California and would like to meet nice new people. So far, I've mostly only met foreigners like me, but I did not come here to meet a bunch of white people, lol. My boyfriend is Chinese, but I need to make some friends of my own.

I will start working soon, but I will have a lot of free time. I live next to the Sihui subway station. Maybe we could meet up for coffee or something.

I don't speak much Chinese yet, but I am looking for a school that fits into my schedule. Then we can do some language exchange too.

A little bit about me: I'm 33, American, vegetarian, friendly but shy at first, love music, and just want to enjoy life in my new city.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Shawna (or ShongNa)

Hi Shawna,
Thank for your reply~
There are many interesting places and awesome shopping stores and handsome guys waiting for u to find in beijing. i guess you will love this city ~
iam very happy to meet you and hope we could be friends:)
i will send you my cell phone number in the private and welcome to have a call~
keep in touch~

Manlin wrote:

Smile and Shong Na (maybe Xiong Na) suggest you both try the various Networking events.

Most Chambers of Commerce have monthly events - might be better fit though for Smile since the majority are foreigners. The Fortune Connection Club (FC Club)events attract approximately an equal number of foreigners and Chinese.

Shawna, habits are hard to break. Chinese people that I have known for yonks still insist on using English. Newer friends are happy to let me torture their language. In short Chinese friends yes but try as soon as possible to stop using 100% English.

Thanks, manlin. i really wanna be in,but when will these events be held?

The FC Club events are held nearly every Tuesday (2nd, 3rd and 4th Tuesday of every month).

Most Chambers hold their events on Thursdays but it differs from country to country and sometimes from month to month.

Shawna hi,

just saw this advert and thought it might interest you (two birds with one stone).

Frontiers Chinese language school is organising a fun Badminton Day on 18 Sept, for teachers, students and anyone who wishes to have fun. Only costs 30RMB per person and could let you both meet people and check the school's teachers.

It is from 2 - 5pm.

If interested contact me and I will send you the information.

ps. I do not work for Frontiers but have studied there.

Thanks Manlin!

I'm definitely interested in the school, maybe not the badminton. I welcome any Chinese school recommendations. I'm trying to find a class that meets on Saturdays or just Mondays and Tuesdays, but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas, friends?

Feel free to contact me directly: positive0903@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Shawna

Most schools provide individual classes whenever you want. I personally squeeze in a private lesson on Sundays.

I can't think of any schools that have group classes on the weekends.

Mon and Tues is also not common.  Most schools work on a Mon Wed Fri or Tues and Thurs.

However the simplest solution is to open the nearest expat mag and phone the various schools and ask. 

Note there is a huge difference in prices between the various schools. Most (all?) will provide a trial class - use it, test them, but try to avoid the ones that then try and hard sell.

I have tested numerous schools and still do go to test schools from time to time. That is in order to check the new ones and to make sure that the existing ones are still good enough to deserve a mention.

Wow, thanks Manlin. I'll pick up a magazine today and get started =)

Some of the better schools are listed here  china-expert.org/Chinese-Speak-it-like-a-native I would also check New Concept Mandarin (but very very pricey) and a new one called LiveTheLanguage (not yet tested by me).

Hi.
I am a businessman. I come often to Beijing. I will ben in Beijing on 11'th of september.
If it is conveninet for you I would like to meet on Sunday 12'th.
Could we have a cup of coffe and talk?
All the best.
Murat Firat

Welcome to beijing~:)

Thank you.
My offer is valid!
Hope to see you.