What do you like the most in Sao Tome and Principe?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Sao Tome and Principe?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Sao Tome and Principe and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Sadly, there is no American Expat community in Sao Tome. I was one of three Americans there. I worked at the US government Sao Tome Transmitting Station as a supervisor (second in charge). I was the ONLY African American ever assigned there in the stations more than 20 year history.

However, I plan on returning to Sao Tome in less than a year to retire there. Living a life free of the tremendous stresses (and dramas) seen in the USA is important to me.

One of my missions in life is to bring an African American awareness to Sao Tome. Sadly, African people are being educated (mis-educated) by outside interest who care very little about them. They are largely being exploited and kept poor and uneducated. This is by clever design.

Great post.
I also plan on moving there in 2016 even though I was so unsure at first and  couldn't get past the poverty situation I kept hearing about. But I gues it all depends on the financial situation of each individual.

If you have between $700 to $1000 in disposable income each month, you can live very comfortably.

Yes, there is poverty, but I do not see it as a stumbling block to living there. There are plenty of wide open areas - near or on the beach - where there are hardly any people (if quiet is what you want).

There are many good restaurants and hotels. There are several "modern" grocery stores. You can buy a new or used car to get around in. There is high-speed Internet, satellite TV and cellphone service.

The air and water is clean and fresh. (no pollution). Sao Tome has raw beauty.

Sao Tome is a best kept secret.

Very reassuring.
Thanks so much for your reply.

BTW: Great strides have been made on Sao Tome to deal with malaria, it still exists. (But not on the scale that it was 20 years ago.)

With that said, I recommend to anyone visiting or thinking about living there take a supply of mosquito antibiotic medicine.

Doxycycline is probably the best and easiest to take. It is a small pill that you take once per day. You take Doxycycline to build up your immune system in the event you are bitten by mosquitoes carrying malaria. It is highly effective in preventing contracting malaria.  No major side effects. Doxycycline is good for other infections.

Another medication is Mefloquine. Dosage is one pill per week. There are possible side effects. Nightmares and yellowing of skin. It is a large pill. (IMHO) I never liked taking it.

Doxycycline si what I recommend taking for malaria prevention.

I also recommend taking over a couple of high quality mosquito nets to sleep under.

Ron
:)

hi Rharris
Thanks so much for posting- most interesting. I currently live in Cape Town which is arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world... with fantastic way of life... but poverty and crime are still major problems here. You have mentioned the school system there is similar to most 'colonies' - designed to cheep labour in supply... I'm used to that... what about crime though? Can you give me an idea of what crime is like out there?

i was in Sao Tome for a month and in terms of crime the country seems quite safe.
i can't say much about schools, but the  country in itself is fine with lots of beautiful beaches every where. Its a good place live as long as you have a financial plan.

I will be visiting sao tome for the first time  in aMay of
May of 2017 and I am African American women,  I would like to ask you something.  Do you have an email?

@tiamarie > To whom are you adressing your message?  Please note that the topic on this thread is "What do you like the most in Sao Tome and Principe".

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com

@rharris How do I get in touch with you privately. I am thinking about moving to Sao Tome from Dallas, Texas.

@rharris Hi Mr. Harris . How do I get in touch with you privately? I am planning  a move to Sao Tome from Dallas, Texas. I need help understanding the place from someone like you. Thank you

@rharris Wow, sounds like my kind of place. Please help me understand how to start a business in Sao Tome. Also, coming from the U.S with a different mind set, how do one adapt quickly to the lifestyle in Sao Tome?

Hello Emachenny,

Welcome on board !

That member's last connection was last year .... I don't know whether he'll read you. Try sending him a private message by clicking on his username > send a message

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna Thank you. If you have the answer to my questions, I will so much appreciate to hear from you as well. Thank you

@rharris, Hi there. I am African American woman, with 2- adult son's. We are looking to relocate to Sao Tome and Principe.

We are taking measures to significantly downsize, and learn Portuguese and the customs. I hope to find more like-minded individuals.

@autumHi, My son's dream is to live in Sao Tome and Principe.  He said it was the only place on earth he would feel relaxed.  We are English and life here is too fast paced, too modern and too technical.  I am trying to research for him about visas, ways to stay permanently, and renting.   If I can find out how to relocate there, my son will be there in a second.  I hope it works out for you and your sons.  nvirgo13

@GOrwell Hi GOrwell,

I can truly empathize with your son's sentiments. My son's and I would like to experience having a relaxed, and beautiful environment.

They do like technology, but a balance of inner peace and environmental relaxation is important to their well-being. I am doing the same type of research. I hope it works out for your son as well. Positive thoughts and thorough research. We should all be just fine.

Thank you for sharing your son's dream. Take good care.

@autumnvirgo13

Thank you for your kind words.  I also hope that you and your sons can work out a way to relocate.  I'm not giving up.  I would rather have less and live in Sao Tome than here in England.  If I get there before you, I will let you know any information I have obtained.   Keep well and take care.

@GOrwell Thank you, GOrwell for your message. I am also determined to downsize by having less. Any information you obtain that may be useful/informative will be greatly appreciated. I will do the same. Take good care.