How to get foreign degrees recognised in the uk

Hi All,

I have a general enquiry concerning international degrees/diplomas/etc. I would like to know what the process is for a Hungarian for example who has a 'DIPLOMA WITH MASTERS DEGREE'
in Chemistry (they are classed as a Clinical Chemist). What is the process to get this diploma recognised as a British diploma (the equivalent of)? Would the degree holder need to get their
Hungarian diploma notaried by https://www.naric.org.uk/ (naric) first, before applying for a university place, or would you instantly recognise that Hungarian diploma with no need for a
NARIC Statement of Comparability?

Also, would that degree holder need to know the English language to a certain level? And would they need a 'European Pass' to accompany their Hungarian degree?

Peter, most degrees from EU universities are recognised without any formalities. You will need a certified translation (done by a registered translator, and notarised) and usually that's it. Generally you don't need a NARIC certification, that is for degrees from outside the EU.
There are a lot more requirements if you plan to work in health care, law, in a pharmacy, and a few other fields that require special licensing; but as far as I am aware there is no such requirement for chemistry. Although clinical chemistry will fall under the health care rules if you plan to work in a hospital or pharmacy (but NOT if you work in a pharmaceutical company).
You are required to pass an English test to work in health care; for any other work, you just need to know enough English to be functional. Of course your employer might have their own rules for this.
You mention applying to a University. Are you planning to study - do a Doctorate or something - here? If you are, most Universities will require that you know English well, and might ask that you pass a EFL test.

Hello PlyMark,

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. I was just looking at higher education, existing education and overall requirements/options for someone with "Foreign" degrees, etc.

Thanks

Peter

Getting a foreign degree certified in the UK is a tricky proposition. I do not blame the prospective employees since I have personally seen many cases where the level of the degree holder was way below the acceptability standard. I would not like to generalize this since I have experienced some very pleasant surprises too.

Few tips to solve this problem: 

a) If you have worked for a known multinational company in your home country, the best bet is to seek employment in its counterpart in the UK for at least 2 years.

b) Get a UK Master's degree or a "top up" diploma by studying for 6 months to 1 year in the UK.

c) Improve upon your English language communication skills, at the time of interview, it really counts how you express yourself in decent vocabulary and neutral accent.  :)