Tips and advice to thrive in Mexico

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Mexico?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Mexico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Work on learning the language! There are so many online tutorials, so many resources! I'm 73, and I've spent the last 10 years working at it, and it's made a difference for me. But I live in a town that gets a lot of Canadians and North Americans during the winter, so the culture here has adapted quite a lot. In summer it's different, and I concentrate on trying to get to know more of my Mexican neighbors.

You are right blissinger, the language is a big change you have to adapt to it one way or another. I've made it comfortable by more or less just jumping in. I deliberately went to a city that was small and not big on the the tourist schedule so that I would have to adapt and use the language. It helped that I had Spanish in school (eons ago) and had spent time in Peru. Yet I hadn't used any of that for many years.

I would add to the language part that leaving all of the things you heard in the media, or from others in the U.S., behind should be your next plan. It will be much easier to adjust and be accepted without all of that useless baggage.  Mexico is nothing like what most people in the U.S. might tell you. 

Time takes adjusting, They will usually show up in a reasonable time to fix things, but not by U.S. standards. That took some adjustment. I just tell them when I will be there now instead of asking when they will come. It works much better. Finding things in stores will take time and asking a lot of questions, and dealing with government issues is very time consuming. Bottom line is be flexible and willing to adjust, and in a year or so you will fit in pretty well. I've been here 4 years, people know me, I know them and it seems to work. It is never boring or the same, every day brings something new.

As a professor, I have studied foreign reitrement and expat migration to Mexico for over 15 years and while language is certainly important, successful living in Mexico or any other culture has more to do with openmindedness and appreciation for other cultures.    I have identified some factors such as travel preferences and education levels etc., that give us a better idea fo those who will and will not succesfully integrate into local communities. Certainly language is necesssary for basic survival but in many cases, most people never go beyond an intermediate level of langauge usage. And yet in my studies, I have often found that some who had minimal language skills were often those who gave the most back to the local community.

First and foremost understand you are not in your home country.  Mexicans do not want you to think their stupid so they say they can do anything. They are friendly and expect the same. Understand life is a slower pace and there is no rush. Life is great, go with the flo.

If you come to Mexico with any of the attitudes from the U.S. you will have problems. They are not stupid, lazy, or in need of your immediate "expertise".  They survived without you for centuries. A number of them speak at least one other language, they are good at adapting, and caring for others. They teach themselves and find ways around problems. Work with them, and you can learn a lot. They want to learn from you what they may not know, but they don't require your help. Many of their children are college educated because that level of education is available to them.

Go to Spanish school in Mexico.   I have two favorites, one in Cuernavaca (Encuentros) and the other in Patzcuaro (CELEP)

I just moved to SMA. There are so many language schools. Does anyone have an opinion as to which school might be better? I was a little shocked at the prices so I want to make the best choice.
Thanks,
Judy

I went to Habla Espanol and liked the program.  Pricey yes.

Thank you. It got a lot of good reviews.

Use the normal protocol when dealing with service people. Say Buenos días, Buenas tardes, Buenas noches when greeting them. If you need somethng from behind the counter add por favor. When getting something add gracias. Greet neighbors and friends in the street the same way when running into them.

alleycat1 wrote:

Use the normal protocol when dealing with service people. Say Buenos días, Buenas tardes, Buenas noches when greeting them. If you need somethng from behind the counter add por favor. When getting something add gracias. Greet neighbors and friends in the street the same way when running into them.

Just don't run into your neighbors and friends in the street very hard.  If you do, you may need to add perdon.   :joking:

dbrund wrote:
alleycat1 wrote:

Just don't run into your neighbors and friends in the street very hard.  If you do, you may need to add perdon.   :joking:

Also when visiting them or going to meet them at a restaurant and they are already there waiting for you. When greeting the double hand shake and hug and a kiss on the cheek of women is a bit more complicated but normal between family members and good friends, etc.

If mexicans are at The resteraunt waiting for you,you have been in Mexico way too long as The only way that is going to happen is if you are at least a half an hour late.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

If mexicans are at The resteraunt waiting for you,you have been in Mexico way too long as The only way that is going to happen is if you are at least a half an hour late.

But that means only that you have fully adapted.

They have many character traits that are indeed desirable.Their time keeping is not one of them.Id rather be an hour early than 5 mins late and i hope to God it stays that way.Being late for an appointment is just plain disrespectful but these guys take it to another level.I had Mexican employees in The States and they were always on time.So,i guess now Im in México by rights i should always be late.

It depends on the context and the environment.
In Saltillo, plant management made sure the employees felt respected.  In turn, the employees had a very low tardiness rate.

Here in Coatepec, the lady who come to clean once week is early or on time 75%. 
I arrive as the dentist's exactly on time and don't wait more than 5-10 minutes.
That's pretty good by any standard.

Totally true. Time is fluid here. Respect that it is different- not rude - just a cultural difference and you will get along much better

Hi I don't think that adapting to living in Mexico is very hard. Ok tintorerias (dry cleaners do not open till 10  nor do laundries). The brands are different in the grocery store but the prices are lower. Electronics are higher so purchase a new computer before coming. No great effort to adapt ACCEPT

THE HUGGING AND KISSING ON THE CHEEK THING.  Men hug and other men's wives kiss you on the cheek. Once you get use to this Mexico becomes so much better. If you know about this in advance and GO AHEAD AND LET THE DUDE HUG YOU.you will enjoy life in Mexico so much more. If you insist on a HANDSHAKE YOU WILL NEVER REALLY CONNECT WITH MEXICO.

Another of those depends on where you are.
Tintoreria in Zacatecas opened a 7 AM and neighborhood lavanderia at 9 AM.

Here in Coatepec, you can take your laundry in a 9 AM but you have to knock.  The taxi driver I use to take me is friends with the owner.  Late in my stay in Mexico, I finally learn that using a taxi driver exclusively can have benefits beyond saving money.  It may be something available only in smaller cities.

Ah yes, Taxi drivers can be very helpful indeed. I have followed them to places I could not find. I have hired them to more or less introduce me to a city, and they have helped me find things even they were unfamiliar with. Most are terrific, some will try to charge too much or even refuse service if they don't go that direction. Even the locals don't understand that, but it has happened to them also.

Over all my experiences with taxis have been good.