Gran Canaria on a budget for digital nomads

Hi dear Expats,

I lived in Gran Canaria since a decade, and I am seeing interesting improvements in a South Tourist Area (Maspalomas) that could be interesting for someone.

INTERNET
Now there is Optical Cable Fibre by Movistar (mayor phone line's Spanish company) up to 300 Mb/s available at average cost in Playa del Inglés, Maspalomas, Telde, and Las Palmas, the capital city.

FROM THE AIRPORT
Transportations are easy like always: from the Airport, you can go to South in 30 minutes or to North, to the capital, in the same time or a little less.

REASON WHY
The well known benefits here is the weather: in the South is always Spring, doesn't matter if is December, or May, or August: never too hot, nor too wet, nor too rain.
In the North, the winter there is a little more raining days, this is the reason why the North is more green. Tenerife and Gran Canaria have high mountains, so the wind is acceptable except in the airport area like Telde and Vecindario. Fuerteventura (Fuerte Viento, powerful wind) is better for surfing.
This is the only island offers you both: sand (a little Sahara called Dunas of Maspalomas) and also mountains with wonderful forests, valleys... the center of the Island is not tourist but really wilde and spectacular and is not in the main tourist route, so I suggest to take a day in Roque Bentaiga... Unforgettable.

COST OF LIFE
Taxes are low. Vat is only 4% - 7%. There is no cost for heating. Eletrcity supply is low because Canary Islands are a hub for oil routes between three continents. Madrid helps a lot the economy of the island, so prices are at least an half of Europe main capitals like London, Paris, Milan, Madrid. A little more cheaper even of Lisbona, Birmingam, Warsaw. I think only some places in Portugal, Romany, Bulgary, South of Italy are more cheaper, in Europe.

SAFETY
Except some CC (Centro Comerciál, Shopping Center) in the night, this Island is very safety and quite, and there are serious Police control, but some fun is well accepted like the rest of the Country.
A huge advantage for children: there ISN'T ANY type of dangerous 'bichos' here: no vipers, no sharks (there isn't, listen to me, the little shy sharks 10 miles away from the coast don't count!) no other predators like bears, no jellyfish... nothing at all. You can walk everywhere in the nature and the worst you meet are mosquitos in the evening.

PEOPLE
Canarian people receives some path from the old traditional generation, Spain people and strong Latin America community. They are in the middle. Not 'siempre fiesta' but not boring, not dangerous but not the top of trustworth in the world, not so smart like the catalan way in the cool Barcelona, and almost the same way of life of Andalucía: quite, easygoing, a little bit leasy people (sorry about that, it only respect the 'goals attitude' of London or N.Y. citizens, Germans in general, Poles... Not the same  latinos, you know what I mean!)... here they do not are all workaholics, so speaking, but obviously depends from person to person... I am referring at my personal 'statistical' experience with a few number of good lawyers, good bosses, very efficient blue collars and a bunch of leasy low level employees... Maybe me too!!! ;-)
Truthful: BEFORE knowing individuals I classify canarian people slightly better than my personal personal personal and personal experience with Italian... and, for comparison, I put on the top level Germany, Scandinavian and Polish people. I can't say which countries are IMHO in the low level, and If that has no sense for you, please don't take in any consideration the fools stereotypes I wrote above, first of all because I don't knew hundred foreigners in my life, and I lived in a few countries.

MINUS
Working here is not so easy for who hasn't high skills: waiters, cooks, massagists are uncountables.
Entrepreneurship here is possible but without high expectations: law is quite consistent, it's not so dangerous to buy properties, hire people, but there is nothing really blowining up, really growing here: all is always the same, the money flow is around tourism and open a new fashion restaurant is not a bad idea but is the same of other thousands new fusion restaurants opening each year.
I suggest to go around import/exporting because the port is very efficient, one of the bigger ports of entire Europe are in Las Palmas.
Remember: burocracy is quite annoying like the rest of Spain (and Italy, sadly!).

CONCLUSIONS
In my very modest experience of expat living, I am very satisfied with my choice and suggest to anyone is in a budget but works by internet and doesn't need a Vida Loca...

All of this it's only my two cents.

Yuri

Hi Yuri

Thanks for the very informative post.  We are currently in the UK and have an internet business and we were looking for a beach location that is hot most year round but with lower living costs than England.  We have a 5 year old girl.  It sounds like this may be the perfect place.  We lived in the Philippines before but it is so far from our UK family to visit us.

We will do some research on international schools.  I wonder if you could recommend good sites to look for rental properties and what areas near a beach may be good to live in where there is fast internet available.

Many thanks again for your wonderful post.

Hi Francisz,
Y confirm you Canary Islands could be the perfect choice.

1) WORK
If you have a Internet Business like me, you don't need to search low qualify work, then you avoid the worst problem living here (in Gran Canaria it's hard to found no qualifies jobs like chambermaid, waiter, massagist...)

2) CHILDREN
Canary Islands are PERFECT for children: there is almost no crime, even the bigger city Las Palmas is more safe than a lot of other europan cities for sure, there is a lot of activities for children, private school, and a 'children culture'. And there is no 'natural' risks: there is no vipers, no sharks, not too savage dogs, no terrorism, no pollution...

3) INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
The South of Gran Canaria has a lot of foreigners from north Europe, so I know there are in Maspalomas (Playa del Ingles, el Tablero) at least two international schools. I think they are not so cheap, but I don't have any comparison to judge them.

4) INTERNET
Depends... not so bad for tourism, but maybe you have to consider that: if you want a fast line and a intenational school nearby, you have to stay in the capital or in a tourist area like Maspalomas or Playa del Ingles, then the rent prices are higher than other places.
But... There are one place very very cheap but quite big, hot all year, with good internet line for sure, and maybe an international school...

Vecindario
Rents here are very cheap!!!! it is in the south (than hot all the year but a little windy) just before Playa del Inglés. the beach is nothing special, but in 20 minutes you are in Playa del Inglés.
I suggest you to search for an international school here, because if you find it, this could be really the perfect choice for all your needs.

Other places are more cheap even of Vecindario, but could be not perfect for internet line or international school, like the little cities in the mountains (Teror, Ayagaures...) and the north west are beautiful but the winter here it's not the 'all year summer' like Vecindario, Playa del Inglés, Mogàn...

good luck!

Hi Yuri

Thank you so much for the quick reply, much appreciated.  I think the South is definitely where we want to be and I will look into Vecindario.  Can you recommend any good websites or Facebook groups or links to local online newspapers that advertise properties as when I search google I keep seeing holiday rentals which are much more expensive.  If you have any advice on this would be very very appreciated.

Thanks again so much!

a mi me gusta fotocasa.es puedes buscar aqui en Google, idealista, tucasa, pisos, milanuncios son un poco desordenados pero se puede encontrar algo:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAZZ … an+canaria

Hi everyone,

@ Dreamaker > As this is an english forum, make sure you write in the correct language please.

Thanks for you comprehension.  :top:

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com team