Are Rivers safe for swimming & tubing?

Belize is famous for its exotic wildlife including the Alligators (or are they Crocodiles?)  So, don't they live in the rivers?  Why do I see all the tourists tubing and people under the waterfalls when it seems that it would be dangerous?  When I was in Costa Rica, we saw the Gators sunning themselves and even out in the ocean in the tide pools and then the guide had us go swimming in a milky river just downstream.  I was nervous!  Anyone have any input on this?   Thanks!

LOL, I figured it was a way to get back at us tourists, and all the locals were just laughing their heads off at us.  I noticed none of the guides went in....hmmmmm

There was a lot of alligators living in the lagoon in Ambergris Caye.  There is an organization that also captures the alligators (safely) and takes them to a safe facility because some people try to kill them on their own and in the process end up torturing the alligators. 

Otherwise, I don't know of any alligator problems here in the San Ignacio/Cayo area, where tubing is prevalent, so I think if one is spotted it is captured quickly and transported - tourism is big business here!

I am planning to buy a small farm  at the outskirts of Corozal.
I am concerned about the crime rate. Is it a problem or exaggerated?

Thanks for the alligator info.  So stay clear of swimming in the lagoon at Ambergris Caye and we should be ok?  Sounds fine by me, since I am looking forward to tubing in Cayo!

Susie, I will also add that most tubing is done on the Mopan River in the Cayo since the Macal is a bit dirtier from the dam.  Many people canoe on the Macal tho!  I just swam in the Mopan last week and it was quite nice!  And no crocs, lol!

Sounds wonderful!! Can't wait to get there!  Do you have a favorite place to stay near San Ignacio area?  Also, great place to grab delicious affordable meal?
Thanks!

Depending on your budget, there's a couple nice hotels to choose from.  Right on Burns Ave (the main street in San Ignacio) the Casa Blanca has a great reputation as a clean and comfortable budget hotel.  If you don't mind a 10 minute walk to town, either the San Ignacio Hotel (high end, $150 to start) or the Cahal Pech Village Resort (gorgeous setting, 2 pools, very reasonably priced at $79-120 a night) are nice choices.  Or, about a 10 minute drive out of town on the Benque road is Chaa Creek - private, all the amentities, rainforest feel, but expect to pay for it. And you wouldn't be able to walk to downtown.

We personally love Amore's restaurant right behind Burns Avenue by the park and bus stop. Really, really cheap, excellent food and drinks, and the owner Nigel is a joy.  Greedy's food is so/so but over priced if you ask me, but fun since it's right on the main drag.

I hope this has helped.  Have fun when you're here!

Sharon

When i was in San Ignacio i saw people in the river that runs under Hawksworth bridge every time i was in that area never heard of anyone having a problem. 

David1946

Where I live is on the Belize river.

I swim in the river often, almost every day. (or shower with rainwater...burrrrr!)

Yes there is an occasional Crocodile in the river. However, they are a known areas. Licensed tour guides know these areas.

They also know that Crocodiles only eat at sunrise or sunset. (Unless they feel threatened,then Survival instincts take over)

The only time I have ever been hurt in the river was when I was not being smart.

It was the dry season and the water was lower than I thought it was and when I jumped in I got bruised and cut up on the rocks.

I never swallow river water and I am careful where I step.

I have been more hurt on land than the river.

Yes, I have tubed and as long as it is not in the dry season, I can do it any day I want.

Wealthships wrote:

There was a lot of alligators living in the lagoon in Ambergris Caye.  There is an organization that also captures the alligators (safely) and takes them to a safe facility because some people try to kill them on their own and in the process end up torturing the alligators. 

Otherwise, I don't know of any alligator problems here in the San Ignacio/Cayo area, where tubing is prevalent, so I think if one is spotted it is captured quickly and transported - tourism is big business here!

Actually it's Crocodiles, not Alligators, but otherwise, this is correct.  There have actually been some Crocs on the beach side of Ambergris Caye as well, and one in the Las Terazzas (resort) pool one morning -- eeeek!  These are rare occurrences but can happen.  ACES captures them and relocates them when possible (and they are also trying to build a containment facility here on the island), but it always pays to be alert.  I live right on the beach have never seen one, but I keep a close eye out since I have a small dog who would make a tasty snack for one.  Scary!

Emily

Well Emily, I\'ve always joked that I\'m not \"Nature Nancy.\" I had no idea that there was a difference between crocodiles and alligators, ha-ha! Thanks for setting the record straight. Now I need to find out what the difference is, lol!

Wealthships wrote:

Well Emily, I\'ve always joked that I\'m not \"Nature Nancy.\" I had no idea that there was a difference between crocodiles and alligators, ha-ha! Thanks for setting the record straight. Now I need to find out what the difference is, lol!

Actually, I don't claim to really understand the difference either, Sharon!  :D  I just know there is one.  How you can remember is the "Lazy Croc BBQ", which you used to live almost across from, is not the "Lazy Gator"!  :lol:

Emily

I don\'t have a problem with remembering to say \"croc\" or \"gator,\" Emily - I just simply don\'t know when to use one or the other. There\'s got to be a \"anatomical\" reason, I would think. Otherwise, one should be able to use them interchangeably. Even the original poster wasn\'t sure which term to use. Anyone out there care to clear up the mystery??

Wealthships wrote:

I don't have a problem with remembering to say "croc" or "gator," Emily - I just simply don't know when to use one or the other. There's got to be a "anatomical" reason, I would think. Otherwise, one should be able to use them interchangeably. Even the original poster wasn't sure which term to use. Anyone out there care to clear up the mystery??

Well, a tiny bit of googling got me this:  All alligators are crocodiles, but not all crocodiles are alligators!  Read more here: 

What's the difference between alligators and crocodiles?

I don't care to get close enough to distinguish between the two based on anatomical differences, so I'll just go by memory.  If it's in Belize, it's a crocodile!  :D

Cool link, Emily! That would explain it then. It says:

\"Crocodiles have well-developed salt glands on their tongue that expel large amounts of salt, enabling them to live in more saline waters. Alligators\' salt glands don\'t function as well, leading them to stick to freshwater habitats.\"

So the lagoon on San Pedro I\'m sure is salty being that close to the ocean. Actually, you can get a pretty good look at a crocs anatomy while still being safe at the Lazy Croc restaurant. I\'ve seen the resident croc there a few times, very up close and personal, and never felt unsafe.

What I love about Belize - I learn about 3 or 4 things new every day!

The only thing I am going to add is there is two kinds of Crocodiles in Belize.

The Morelet's Crocodile and the American Crocodile.

The Morelet's Crocodile prefers fresh water. It can grow up to 13 feet or more. It is endangered and found only in Belize, Mexico and Guatemala.

The American Crocodile prefers Salt water. It has a larger body than the Morelet's but a more slender snout.

Happy swimming all. ;)

Wow, reading this thread is most enlightening. Oh and Happy New Year One and All....   I love to swim. I am a fish at heart, and based on my birth date of March 1st. That makes me a Pisces. I can be out in the middle of the ocean treading water and the only fear there is thinking about sharks (only haha).  When I was visiting Costa Rica (CR)last year, I saw "many" huge Crocs basking in the sun, at a low point of the river. After looking at them and studying their features, I did not leave feeling like I want to swim in the CR rivers at all. Here is a YouTube clip that gives me the same feelings - check it out: Suspension Bridge Alligators Costa Rica When in Costa Rica, I'd rather take a chance on the ocean, in place of Costa Rica's rivers. As for Belize, I have not seen any Crocs in the Belize River (yet). Thanks to Eric, I will not forget their feeding times. And, I will remain vigilant to be as safe as I can while having fun in the river water too.  Thank you all for the information and a few laughs that are provided in this thread. Careful swimming to all....:top: ~LAN