Firearms

Hi,  I'm Marion.  I'm an American living in Panama.  I'll be moving to Bali in September.  Can I bring my shotgun with me?  What are the laws in Bali regarding firearms in general?

Firearms are strictly regulated so you're going to have a whole bunch of issues ranging from getting a licence to own a weapon through to getting it imported if you manage the first little trick.
I'm aware of and have visited pistol and rifle clubs but never heard of anyone shooting shotguns.
That doesn't mean there are none, just I can't find any advertising.

Thanks Fred,
I'll have to look into it.

Hi Marion,

There is absolutely no possible way for you to own a firearm here in Indonesia.  This applies to locals and expats as well.

The only exception is a .177 caliber single shot air rifle.

No second amendment here Marion!   ;)   But to be honest, I personally don't miss firearms one bit.

Enjoy your move to Bali!

Thanks so much for the info!
I know people at the local gun club, I'll see about selling it.

Ubudian wrote:

Hi Marion,

There is absolutely no possible way for you to own a firearm here in Indonesia.  This applies to locals and expats as well.

Close but no cigar.
It is very difficult to own a firearm here but not impossible. The vast majority of weapons are airguns of various sorts but firearms are available to a few.
Apart from the very high costs, you have some serious police checks and a whole bunch of other stuff to get through.
It's been over a year since I last looked at this but I suspect regulations are even tighter at the moment because of the silly terrorist activities we're seeing from a tiny minority of daft people.
I have never heard of a shotgun being owned privately and a quick google shows up a grand total of zero results from a variety of search strings.

Two cops in my family Fred, and you might recall how Tommy Soeharto ended up in jail.   :D

Cheers!

Two cops in my family Fred.   :D

Trust me, there is no way a foreign expat is going to be allowed to own a firearm here in Indonesia.

Remember what got Tommy Soeharto...the President's son, thrown in jail?   ;)

Cheers mate.

I don't have any cops in my family but I know a lot of them.
That and I've visited a local gun club where 9mms were the order of the day.

http://jakartaglobe.id/archive/indonesi … n-permits/

Fred 1 - UB 0

Interesting article Fred, and thanks for sharing it.  Have you ever heard of a foreign expat owing a firearm here?  I sure haven't. 

We have two gun clubs here in Bali as well.  You can use their .22 pistols and rifles for target practice, but a single session costs a lot...around 1.5 million IDR and that includes 100 rounds if I recall correctly. 

In my opinion, when answering the question from expats, or would be expats, the best answer is no when it comes to firearms.   

Cheers!

Ubudian wrote:

Interesting article Fred, and thanks for sharing it.  Have you ever heard of a foreign expat owing a firearm here?  I sure haven't.

Not a one but I was told I was free to apply and it was possible but very rare.
That wasn't the police but a gun club.
As for the cost, I recall the ammo was Rp800k for 100 rounds plus range fees.
Each target takes 10 rounds and you's expect to use 2 targets per practice session.
I used to shoot back in the UK before the laws changed and would like to get back into the sport.

Hi Guys,
Count me in!  I used to shoot trap back in the states, but that was ages ago.  I've been living in Panama for almost 10 years now.
I have no time frame as to when I will arrive in Ubud.  I'm in the process of selling "stuff" and packing.  It won't be long.

No surprise that shooting at a gun club is more expensive in Bali than in JKT.  What isn't more expensive in Bali than JKT? 

Anyway, let me know if you ever hear of a foreign expat granted a license to own a firearm that they can actually take possession of (carry or keep in their home).   ;)   

Cheers!

Pack the shorts, t shirt and bikini. Lose the guns. Just saying.....and enjoy this wonderful country without triggers and barrels. 😎

Got it!

Supadave...well said, and I couldn't agree more!  Life without guns is wonderful!   ;)

Cheers!

It's good to know you feel so safe in Bali.  I live in a dangerous area. I have the gun for protection.  It's become more dangerous in the last year.  There are hundreds of squatters taking over private and public land.  As a result there are home invasions, people are being threatened at gunpoint on the streets.....  Nasty business!

Absolutely understand having travelled the world for work including the Philippines and Central Africa. I appreciate the fact that monsters don't just appear when the sun goes down. Have a safe trip and welcome to you and your family 👍🏻

Thanks Supadave,
I sold most of my furniture. Now I have to get rid of "stuff".  I'm very excited about the move.
Can anyone advise me about selling my car verses taking it to Bali.  I have a Suzuki Jimmy.  It's a small 4 wheel drive jeep.

Sell the Suzi.
Import duties and the messing about shipping and getting it registered here just isn't worth trying to import it, more so if it's left hand drive.
Then you have to consider the terrible driving standards here and getting yourself a licence.

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info.  I'll sell it!
Marion

Indonesia is trying to promote domestic sales so imports are often very difficult or impossible, or just very expensive.

Marion, there are plenty of Suzuki Jimmies to be found on Bali...either new or used.  No worries about used car buying here either as the Balinese are notorious for taking very good care of their cars. 

You might want to start looking now at this bi-monthly newspaper called the Bali Advertiser.  It's heavily used by both expats and locals alike:

http://baliadvertiser.biz/

I didn't drive for several years after coming to Panama....  I'm a New Yorker and a good driver but panama driving was something I had never seen before.  No signaling, right turns from left lanes, just chaos.  But after a while you get used to it and it seems normal to you!

Again, thanks for all the info, it's very helpful!   I'm open to any suggestions, I'm not into reinventing
the wheel, so all suggestions are welcome!

Hi Ubudian,
Thanks for the link.
I haven't contacted an international shipper yet but I expect it will be costly to bring my things to Bali.  I have small kitchen appliances, 5 ply stainless steel pots and gym equipment.  Do you suggest I sell it or take it with me?
Marion

Hi Ubudian,
I received an email from expat.com saying you sent a new email.  I can't find it!

THe PM system is accessed by clicking the envelope at the top right of the page. Any new PMs should be indicated by a number appearing next to that icon.

Driving ..
Indonesians drive on the left .. or the right .. or both .. or in the middle or anywhere else they happen to fancy.
Lights, including indicators are optional extras and can be any colour, often red at the front and white at the back if they have any at all.. One way streets are optional and traffic light are very pretty but don't mean much unless a copper is standing around.
Accidents are always your fault if you look richer or whiter than the motorcyclist who has no licence, was riding without a helmet and was on the wrong side of the road using bald tyres whilst texting.

Fred has hit the nail on the coffin about driving and similar to your own experiences- youll get used to it. My personal advice- sell more and travel with less- everything you want is here. As a rule for expats- try rent first (many places are furnished). You won't need much to start here. Start off small and grow 😊

I packed a laptop, a couple of hard drives, 2 Swiss army knives, a mobile phone (unlocked to all networks) and clothes - not a lot more.
I got most of the clothes wrong as I dressed English and that doesn't work here.
I could probably have cut my 20kg check in by half if I knew then what I know now.
Light summer clothes are the order of the day and that's about it unless you like posh parties, attend work or go to business meetings.

I know of people who pack all their stuff into containers and ship it over - what a waste of time and very probably more expensive than buying over here.

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of packing boxes and putting them in storage here in Panama until I could find a place in Bali.  I've been to Bali before so it's just looking around until I find where I want to live.  Then have the boxes shipped down.  I have artwork and books  that I don't want to part with and a few other "things".

When I moved to Panama I came with 50 boxes and my bed.  I won't move to Bali with that much.....  I have an electric bed and I really like it but I'm selling that too!  Yikes!

The weather in Panama is the same as Bali.  The  tropics!

Speak soon
M

Hi Marion,

No, I didn't send you a private message...the e-mail you got was simply notice of my most recent posting.

A former New Yorker?  Sama, sama...but it's been over 18 since I've been back to the Big Apple.  These days it's more likely to be a visit to the Big Durian (Jakarta).

I agree totally with the excellent advice you've been getting from Supadave and Fred. 

Once you get settled here on Bali and have a residency visa (KITAS or retirement) you can bring in personal belongings duty free, but the shipping from Panama will be very expensive...so for those things not dear and dear to you, and as already suggested...buy them here after selling them in Panama. 

As for driving, I have never once driven a car or motorbike here in Bali.  I'm lucky in that between staff and family I have no need.  Some expats drive, and others, like me will not drive.  One problem here is that whenever a foreigner gets into an accident, it's a forgone conclusion that it is your fault...thus accidents can get to be expensive propositions.  I know a number of single ladies here who use a motorbike for short, nearby trips and use private drivers for more involved trips.   

If you plan is to settle in the Ubud area you'll be very pleased to know that there is a rather large contingency of "mature" folks in this area and a number of places where you can get to meet many of them.

Once here, be sure to register with US Consular Agency in Denpasar (Renon area). 

Anyway...these are just a few "off the top of my head" sort of comments.

If you would rather use the PM system, that's fine, but unless the content of your note is private or personal, sharing on this forum is best as it can benefit other as well.

Cheers!

Hi Ubudian,

You're a wealth of information.  Thanks so much. 

I plan to put my "stuff" in storage here and have it sent when I'm settled in Ubud.   I'll limit myself.....  Ha!Ha!

I'm not the most savvy computer user, so when I get an email I look for it!!!  Yikes!

It would be great to connect with "mature folk".  So, I'm looking forward to that. 

I'm retired but I started to study Forex Trading.  I'm a few months into my studies and doing well.  I understand that there's a large contingency of Forex Traders located in the area.  I'm looking forward to meeting them too.

It's rainy season here now and it's been storming, not raining.  Here in Panama dry season is middle of December to mid May.  You're below the equator about the same distance that Panama is above the equator.  When's rainy season?

Again, thanks to everyone for their input, it's very helpful.

Cheers,
Marion

Hi Marion,

Our rainy season is from about mid November to mid March...but somebody forgot to tell the "rain Gods" because it's been raining a lot in the past week...very unusual. 

Continued good luck with your move!

Cheers, Roy

@Ubudian ROY, Is Gary, living in: UBUD. From🇺🇸 DO you happen to have a Email, that one could get Ahold of you, through??!! THANKS ‼️

Check your Private Messages.  1f603.svg