How to avoid faux pas situations ?

Hi considering moving to northern Ireland next year once our house sells.

Are there any things l need to know to avoid faux pas situations and any areas the English aren't so tolerated.

Have looked at Wales and some of the local were definitely less than welcoming.

We know we want smaller towns/villages to move to but haven't decided on area yet as the house and gardens are the important things , everything else we are hoping to work around

Hi,

Avoid areas that have a large number of flags. Seriously. They may look festive and pretty and fluttery when you first arrive, and are blissfully unaware of their implications, but when people hang a great many flags they are basically stating 'this is our territory'.

I'm sure there are many people who are fine folk who live in these areas. But all the same, with what I know after being here after a few years it wouldn't surprise me if, as an outsider, you weren't welcomed with open arms.

Also, if you buy, get an electrician to check the house out, and get a home buyers report. Damp can be a problem, and sellers aren't obligated to report problems with a houses wiring.

Message me if you need any more advice - I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the reply.
Luckily rewiring is one of the first things l intend to do anyway on any property and will add a damp meter to my list of things if l check out a doer upper.

Hopefully it can't be as bad as some areas in Wales we visited but flags is definitely a thing l wouldn't have thought about .

Am hoping to pop over later this year just to check out some areas and work out my travelling times .luckily partner stays semi retired so he gets all the fun of house and dogs.

Thanks that was informative!
I hope you managed to move without too many hassles.
I've never been in faux-pas situation in NI (yet?)
Some of friends in Belfast have told me that some of the flags are only there to remind tourists that they're not in Ireland anymore lol