Keeping in touch while living in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Tunisia? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Tunisia? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi

I found that as long as you have internet on your smart Phone you can get in touch with anyone all over the world as I do with all my scattered friend, using WhatsApp, Messenger, Viber, etc, exchange photos, talk and see them by using video chat.

It cost 10 Tunisian Dinar per month for internet on your phone.

I would advice to use ordinary phone line or land line as it will cost around 0.5 Dinar per minute.

Hope this help

I rely on the messaging apps. I can keep track of family and friends via facebook also.
I have Topnet for my internet at home and unlimited costs me 50 dinar a month.
I try to do everything if possible at home to avoid using my phone if possible.

Getting a (FOB) to your laptop for 20 DT / month will safe you 30DT, that is what I use, so to get internet on my phone is 10 and for my laptop 20, if you know what to do you can use your phone as your hotspot at home and connect your laptop to the internet using your phone as a gateway access point to the internet.

On your phone look for connections / then mobile hotspot and tethering.

I hope this helps

Three apps you can download and use to connect to your family and friends

whatsAPP
Messanger
Line
Viber

My husband and his family use the internet also, as well as myself. I don't leave home much and I watch a lot of movies. We did have a flybox and we kept topping it off. Since getting the Topnet we haven't been doing that.

If you find the current solution is ok keep it with Topnet, always look for offers with Ooredo or Orange.

Good luck.