Cooking like a local in Guinea Conakry

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Guinea Conakry.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Guinea Conakry? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Guinea Conakry?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

There are some Guinean recipes in this link below, as well as recipes from a few other West African countries.

http://www.friendsofguinea.org/about-guinea/recipes/

There is one Guinean dish that I had once while on a visit to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August 2019 at a friend's place that I really, really enjoyed. It was a sauce made from sweet potato leaves with a little bit of meat, and served with rice.

There is a recipe in the link above for the Sweet potato leaf sauce: Leaf Sauce, Sweet Potato (Maffi Hakko Bantura). I am definitely keen to try this recipe at home. I will once I find a place that sells sweet potato leaves. I live in Wellington, New Zealand where it's more common for one to find sweet potatoes available in shops and markets as opposed to finding sweet potato leaves.

Does anyone else have any favorite Guinean foods or favorite recipes?

Thanks,

Maria