Collection of Residence ID Card

Hi,

A few weeks ago now I received a letter stating that I should collect
   my ID card from the E-ID cards office in Victoria, Gozo.  The other
   day I had a clear up in my house, but I think I've accidentally thrown
   my letter in the bin, as I can't find it today. 

I'm in a panic now.  I received the letter about 4 weeks ago , so
   I've already wasted a lot of time.  Will this cause trouble when I tell
   them at the E-ID office ?

Depends on the person behind the counter. I tried to collect without the letter in Valetta as I simply forgot it at home that day and got denied as they use the letter to confirm mailing address.

I believe in your situation, if they insist on having the letter, you can request it be resent. How long that takes I have no idea but common sense dictates that would be a week or two, but take that with a grain of salt as we are dealing with a slow dept/process.

Welcome to the Forum, why not call in at the office and ask, you need to get there early we had to renew ours and there was already a queue at 7.30, why did you not pick it up earlier?

JV321 wrote:

Depends on the person behind the counter. I tried to collect without the letter in Valetta as I simply forgot it at home that day and got denied as they use the letter to confirm mailing address.

I believe in your situation, if they insist on having the letter, you can request it be resent. How long that takes I have no idea but common sense dictates that would be a week or two, but take that with a grain of salt as we are dealing with a slow dept/process.

We had to renew ours last week and were told six to eight weeks which is quick compared to the eight months when they were issued five years ago.

@GozoMo:

I trust that as an EU national, the Maltese authorities made it clear to you on re-registration for your 'e-Residence' documentation that ‘you automatically acquire the [much more advantageous] right of PERMANENT residence in Malta if you have lived legally here for at least 5 years continuously…..….If you ask the authorities for a PERMANENT residence document, they must issue it as soon as possible and for no more than nationals pay for identity cards….….The document should be valid for 10 years and is automatically renewable without any condition or requirement......'

Sources:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r … dex_en.htmhttps://identitymalta.com/wp-content/up … e-Card.pdf

GozoMo wrote:
JV321 wrote:

We had to renew ours last week and were told six to eight weeks which is quick compared to the eight months when they were issued five years ago.

He's not renewing though, but rather asking for them to resend the letter for a document awaing collection. Presumably the processing of the document has already been done.

I know but you still have to queue to pick your new card up.

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

The reason for the 4 week delay before I
lost the letter was my husband had been
poorly, so we went on an extended holiday
to Spain. 

I'll go to the E-ID office and explain the
situation and see what they say.

Hi,
Just checked the 'Identity Malta' website.  On here there is an "APPOINTMENT FOR COLLECTION OF ERESIDENCE PERMITS" page.  This page lets you enter a date and time for the collection of residence E-ID cards.

Looks like this option applies to those who collect their ID cards at the Evans
Building in Valletta.  Does anyone know if this option is available at the E-ID
office in Victoria, Gozo ?

thatwilldo wrote:

Hi,
Just checked the 'Identity Malta' website.  On here there is an "APPOINTMENT FOR COLLECTION OF ERESIDENCE PERMITS" page.  This page lets you enter a date and time for the collection of residence E-ID cards.

Looks like this option applies to those who collect their ID cards at the Evans
Building in Valletta.  Does anyone know if this option is available at the E-ID
office in Victoria, Gozo ?

I doubt it very much, there is a queue outside from 7.30 am and you don,'t even have the opportunity to speak to the staff until you are at the front of the queue and allowed in the office.  If you are not in the queue by 8.30 you may not even be seen that day at all and if someone turned up and went in 'because they had an appointment' there would most likely be a riot!

Ray

I'm so confused. Maybe things work differently in Gozo, but in Valetta collecting the document that is already ready only takes about 5-10 minutes. You can pretty much go at any time.

Even in the section for applying for ID for EU citizens is relatively sane and wouldn't take you longer than an hour.

It's the single work permit application process that's horrific.

JV321 wrote:

I'm so confused. Maybe things work differently in Gozo, but in Valetta collecting the document that is already ready only takes about 5-10 minutes. You can pretty much go at any time.

Even in the section for applying for ID for EU citizens is relatively sane and wouldn't take you longer than an hour.

It's the single work permit application process that's horrific.

It's a very small office in Gozo with normally three people working, the hours are eight till twelve thirty,
Theres  no where to wait except queuing outside in all weather, as mentioned before you have to queue to pick your new card up which can take hours not minutes.

Turn up early if you can so to be first in the queue. :D

Given that, according to law, non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens must be issued with an ‘e-Residence Card' (Registration Certificate) INSTANTLY upon presentation of the requisite personal documentation to the competent national authorities, you may address your observations to: The European Commission - Secretariat General.

E-mail: sg-plaintes@ec.europa.eu

Fionn wrote:

Given that, according to law, non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens must be issued with an ‘e-Residence Card' (Registration Certificate) INSTANTLY upon presentation of the requisite personal documentation to the competent national authorities, you may address your observations to: The European Commission - Secretariat General.

That would be great if it happened in real life, but it does not.
Certainly not in Malta!
Many of the EU laws and regulations would be great if they were actually followed but that rarely happens here.

go to the desk with your passport, jobplus certificate and the social security paper where your Maltese address is stated... that should do. In any case is a 5 minutes wait in Evans building.

matog wrote:

go to the desk with your passport, jobplus certificate and the social security paper where your Maltese address is stated... that should do. In any case is a 5 minutes wait in Evans building.

The topic is about Gozo not Malta.

Fionn wrote:

This pretty much what happens anyway, it did for us, the only question is, what is the requisite documentation currently required?  I checked beforehand so obtained the e-residency document on my first visit.

RayAucote wrote:
Fionn wrote:

This pretty much what happens anyway, it did for us, the only question is, what is the requisite documentation currently required?  I checked beforehand so obtained the e-residency document on my first visit.

When you apply for your card you receive a receipt then you get notification your card is ready which can take several weeks and you then pick it up personally.