Sending and receiving packages in Turkey

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Turkey?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Turkey?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

Infact Ive just make an order from Germany to Turkey and with tracking no its easy to track your package/ Usually they deliver to your door if youre not in you have to pick up from PTT distribution centre. NoI dont have to pay for anything for receiving my package.

Depends on which courier company your shipper is using. Hope that helps.

I have ordered some craft things from china, and the package arrived within 2 days with UPS to Istanbul, UPS has asked me to fill a customs form which I did and sent, but now 5 days later the package is still in the warehouse (I assume) and UPS is giving me the run around, And no one is answering me. So I guess my Money has gone down the drain yet again!

Be aware!

Hi Priscilla

Actually one month ago I made an order from USA to Turkey
It was a little bit hard to receive my order that's out of the tax which I had to pay
My order was delivered by FedEx to the house door
All along with the an expensive shipping costs and delay in receiving order
I think it a little bit hard to receive an order from abroad Turkey
I hope that was helpful
Many thanks

Hi jihad makki,

I'm in the same situation here, my package is stuck and no one is telling what is going on, UPS is not responding to neither my emails or calls, they keep haging up on me when I call them!

How did you manage to contact whom 3ver was holding your package?

Thanks.

Hello Priscilla,

There are both private and state post service. Obviously private ones are more expensive but a little bit faster however I usually use the state one (named PTT). The sender pays all the fees and receiver does not to pay anything extra and they receive the package on the doorstep. tax also included in the price.
In contrast to others I found turkish postal system quite efficient.  Just one time they hold our package because it contained some medicine for my wife. So we went there personally and we showed them the prescription for my wife so they gave us the package right away.

Just got note from UPS after I have sent the form that they required but deny they received over 20 times, they decided to reply and tell me that I need to hire a customs broker to clear my package from customs.

even though my package is under the threshold it's under $64 US, and less that 2.5KG, and it's the first time I have ever ordered anything from abroad or domestic.

QUOTE:

"Customs threshold (from which tariffs are required)EUR 75 or 30 kg. For imports which value is less than EUR 75 or weighing less than 30 kg but sent to a person more than five times per year, a formal clearance is required."

this is a customs link if anyone needs it in the future:

https://en.portal.santandertrade.com/in … procedures