Travel to Malaysia with New Passport and MM2H Visa on Old Passport

Hi All,

Can you please help me. I read through the forum but couldn't find an exact answer.
Last Year I got an MM2H Visa. BUt the pages of my Passport ran out and I got a new Passport with a new Passport number. The Old Visa has been stamped Cancelled.

Now I have to travel to Malaysia Next week. Once there I will get an agent to get the Visa transferred to the New Passport.

The confusion I have is this. My Agent says that I can travel on the MM2H visa on Old passport and present both Passports to the Immigration at Airport. It should not be a problem. BUt The Visa categorically states that this Visa is valid till the Passport is Valid. I fear that the Immigration people will refuse entry as I don't have a valid visa.

Has anyone faces a similar situation. What would you recommend I do? Should I apply for an E visa for short term before I enter Malaysia? If I do so, can it be a problem if the Immigration feels my MM2H visa is valid and I am applying for a short term e visa.

I will be travelling with Kids, and I really don't want to be stuck at the Airport.
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks 
Hamid

It's true that there is a date on the mm2h sticker in your old passport which states how long the social visit pass is valid.

Depending on that date will be the answer to your question. (The mm2h visa can only be cancelled by Malaysian immigration)

If expired, E-visas do not enable the stickers to be extended after arrival and the application would need to be made at the High Commission or Consulates in India

If the sticker has expired you will also need to pay a journey performed fee for each sticker extension. So it's best if possible to extend or renew before the expiry date

Hi Gravitas,

My MM2H Visa expires in 2023. But its on my old passport. My New Passport got issued last December and since them, I have not been able to travel to Malaysia to get the MM2H sticker on my New Passport. Can I still travel to Malaysia by carrying both the passports? My new Passport has a new number but also mentions my Old passport number.

Will the Airport Immigration guys let me in if I show them both passports.

I tend to agree with your mm2h agent because the mm2h social visit pass has not expired. Unfortunately the cancellation stamp may be a problem. Suggest you double check with the Malaysian HC or Consulate because of the problem boarding due to wrongful cancellation. They may issue an entry visa because the sticker has been defaced

Thanks Gravitas, for taking out the time to answer my query.

Actually, I was not clear, and I apologize for that. There is no cancellation stamp on the MM2H pass. The Passport front and back pages are stamped canceled.
Once we send in the passport to renew, they stamp the passport Cancelled and issue a new passport. Only the old passport is stamped Cancelled. There is no cancellation mark on my MM2H visa.

Then I agree with the agent.

@hamid2000 Hey Hamid, just curious if you were able to make this journey?

I am facing a similar situation and I'm unsure if I will be able to travel with my MM2H visa (in cancelled passport) and my new passport.