Urine test for new employment in Vietnam

I've recently arrived in Ho Chi Minh City, after being offered employment as an ESL Instructor at a language institution. In order to complete the required work documents, I must have a health check-up, in which a urine test will be administered at a local hospital. Admittedly, I've been a regular cannabis smoker for years, but have not indulged since being offered the position (a little more than a week ago). As I am now in Vietnam, I've grown concerned that this may possibly hinder my new employment. Should I be worried and take extra precautions to pass my health exam or am I being paranoid about this one job requirement?

Thank you for any advice or tips you can offer!

Hey!

I'm currently an English teacher in Ha Long Bay, and had to do a medical test in Hanoi. It's very thorough and intense. They take a blood sample, urine test, ultrasound (to see your organs) sight test, dental test, throat, nose and ear test, general test (includes breathing) and a chest X Ray. They pick up on everything - they told my friend she didn't have enough red blood cells (she had recently gotten food poisoning). If you are found having drugs in your system I would probably say they will not let you work in the country from what I know, so I would take extra precaution if you want to go ahead with the test.

Good luck and all the best!

Amelia Whitehead

Cannabis, specifically THC, can be detected in urine for up to two months after stopping regular use.  I doubt that a week will do it.   Are you sure that the urine test is for drugs?  Perhaps it is for things related to kidney functions.   The exam is really a general health exam and includes things that you might not expect in an employment physical in the West.

If there are other teachers at the school who will let you look over their exam results, perhaps you could tell what the urine test is really for.  Even if the results seem at first to be in Vietnamese, the language of medicine is fairly universal and you can likely figure things out.

I don't think you're the first can ibis using teacher in Vietnam, I've seen many, I don't think they test for it, but I could be wrong. You'll soon find out, let us know.

Slip the test admin a $50 and call it a day.

QuidProQuo wrote:

Slip the test admin a $50 and call it a day.

Wow!  Admittedly this is a generalization but it is usually the men on this forum who are cynical about bribery in Vietnam.   :unsure

Not a generalization but a fact. Deal with it !!

QuidProQuo wrote:

:D:D:D:one:top:

Hello can you provide any update on what happened with your urine test as a habitual smoker? I'm also racking my brains about this problem 🥲🥲🥲

Phiet Hoang wrote:

Hello can you provide any update on what happened with your urine test as a habitual smoker? I'm also racking my brains about this problem 🥲🥲🥲

Well as a habitual smoker I'm sure you can work out that no parent wants you around their kids :cool:

QuidProQuo wrote:

you live in the real Vietnam world, he lives in his dream Vietnam world

goodolboy wrote:
QuidProQuo wrote:

QuidProQuo tells us that she(?) lives in the Cayman Islands.  When people put things in their profile, I assume it is there for a purpose, whether that is to inform or deceive.

Loganic wrote:

I've recently arrived in Ho Chi Minh City, after being offered employment as an ESL Instructor at a language institution. In order to complete the required work documents, I must have a health check-up, in which a urine test will be administered at a local hospital. Admittedly, I've been a regular cannabis smoker for years, but have not indulged since being offered the position (a little more than a week ago). As I am now in Vietnam, I've grown concerned that this may possibly hinder my new employment. Should I be worried and take extra precautions to pass my health exam or am I being paranoid about this one job requirement?

Thank you for any advice or tips you can offer!

damn.. seems like everyone trying to scare you. the urine test DOES NOT test for THC.

THIGV wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
QuidProQuo wrote:

QuidProQuo tells us that she(?) lives in the Cayman Islands.  When people put things in their profile, I assume it is there for a purpose, whether that is to inform or deceive.

Why would you care where people live? Don't you have garbage to deal with in your own life? SMH :rolleyes:

QuidProQuo wrote:
THIGV wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Why would you care where people live? Don't you have garbage to deal with in your own life? SMH :rolleyes:

Why would you say you are in the Cayman Islands if you are not there, that would be more to the point.

@Loganic This is for the people currently researching in 2022.  YES they do test for THC and everything else...      Urine tests and blood tests included..    Don't smoke pot in Nam if you serious about working and experiencing the beauty she has to offer

@cossmo Yes it does, They caught me.... atleast in 2022 it does

@Loganic YES, i got urine tested for THC, I got caught

@Loganic This is for the people currently researching in 2022. YES they do test for THC and everything else...   Urine tests and blood tests included..  Don't smoke pot in Nam if you serious about working and experiencing the beauty she has to offer
-@WishIwasViet005

Hi welcome to expats,

Who, where, why?

If employment related, please provide more details, did you lose your WP & TRC.

Just saying yes gives no insight to members.

I think I had to give a urine sample when I did my physical,  but it was not  a drug test, at least as far as I know.   I would be really, really surprised if they actually did drug test candidates.  And even if they do, so what?  They are totally and completely desperate for ESL teachers, and at this point beggars can't be choosers!   In fact, they are highly likely to overlook such a small trifle because... well, ESL teachers bring in tons of money for schools and in Vietnam money usually trumps all other considerations.

@cossmo Yes it does, They caught me.... atleast in 2022 it does
-@WishIwasViet005

which hospital?

which hospital?
-@cossmo

I'm thinking that the answer would be, "None".

@WishIwasViet005

where? in HCMC? what hospital? and what happened? did you lose your WP and TRC? Are you still in Vietnam?