Getting Married and Applying for Residence Permit for Foreign Spouse

Hello, i have been reading up the forum on the requirements of getting married in Mauritius to a foreign spouse. Thanks for all the useful tips. This is what i've gathered/summarized. I've some questions and hopefully someone can provide the answers. Thanks.

ARRIVING AT THE AIRPORT
a) Inform immigration officer that you and your fiancee are here for marriage to obtain a marriage visa valid for 30 days.
b) Show ID card of Mauritian, Passport of foreign spouse, letter explaining you are here to get married and how you know each other
c) Rs 20,000 in local or foreign currency

As my wife will also be applying for residence permit after our marriage, do we need to produce the "Application to enter Mauritius" form as well upon entry?

WAITING PERIOD

a) The applicants should have resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of seven (7) days immediately preceding the day of publication of marriage.
b) A publication of the proposed civil marriage should be made 10 days prior to the proposed date of marriage at the civil status office of the locality within the district where the marriage is to take place.

Based on these requirements, if someone arrives on Day 1 and start the publication of marriage on Day 8. Can i say the earliest marriage date would be on Day 18?

DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTERING MARRIAGE
(a)  Passport;
(b)  Birth Certificate issued within the last 3 months
(c)  Divorce papers/Previous marriage certificate with annotation of divorce (if applicable);
(d)  Certificate of character/morality from country of residence issued within the last 6 months
(e)  Proof of financial means (Contract of employment or recent bank statement or recent salary slip);
(f)  Medical certificate attesting that applicant party does not suffer from any infectious or contagious disease (from a medical officer practicing in Mauritius);
(g)   Affidavit sworn before the Supreme Court of Mauritius against payment of Rs150 only; and
(h) Return Air Ticket
*All documents to be submitted in original copies duly authenticated and photocopies.

Regarding the bank statement, would appreciate if anyone can clarify how recent it has to be and what amount it should show.
Are originals returned after use? (Especially in the case of the birth certificate and morality certificate as they have to be used again for the resident permit)

Thanks for all the help
Laval

Hello Laval

Let me answer this based on my experience.

"ARRIVING AT THE AIRPORT
a) Inform immigration officer that you and your fiancee are here for marriage to obtain a marriage visa valid for 30 days."

Are you travelling together? Are you only getting a Civil Marriage or a "religious" one as well? Your fiancee only needs to say that she is getting married to the immigration officer. When she fills the "Application for Entry" form, she should state her reasons for being here as well as where she is staying etc.

"b) Show ID card of Mauritian, Passport of foreign spouse, letter explaining you are here to get married and how you know each other"

She can use your original MRU ID or a copy will do. She is not a spouse at this point and doesn't need any letter. They might ask her questions about how you met, how long you have both been together, where she is staying, with whom, how long she will be here etc... but it is not as hectic as it seems. Your fiancee just needs to be calm and answer truthfully.

"c) Rs 20,000 in local or foreign currency"

Where did you see this? They are quite flexible with this, as they need to know if she has enough to support her. E.g if she is staying for 3 weeks, has a credit card with 700 Euros on it, and enough to pay for the place she is staying at (hotel etc), a reservation letter or if she is staying with you till the wedding, they won't make too much of a fuss. As long as she has enough money for her to survive here during her stay.

Has she been here before?

"As my wife will also be applying for residence permit after our marriage, do we need to produce the "Application to enter Mauritius" form as well upon entry?"

You need to fill this irrespective of why you are here.

"Based on these requirements, if someone arrives on Day 1 and start the publication of marriage on Day 8. Can i say the earliest marriage date would be on Day 18?"

When you go the the Central Civil Status in Port Louis on Day 1, they will verify your papers and tell you when the possible marriage date will be. Bear in mind that the immigration office needs to give consent for your marriage. Don't set dates until the Civil Status Officer tells you on the day you submit the documents.

DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTERING MARRIAGE
(a)  Passport;

Two copies of the Bio page (i.e the page where the picture and details are)

(b)  Birth Certificate issued within the last 3 months

Long, unabridged version, in English or French (aka International Version). This needs to have the Apostille from her country, and if in a different language, there should be a translated version as well. Two copies of this, along with the original.

(c)  Divorce papers/Previous marriage certificate with annotation of divorce (if applicable);

If applicable- same as Birth Certificate. In Eng or Fre, with Apostille from her country of origin, NOT Mauritius. Original and two copies.

(d)  Certificate of character/morality from country of residence issued within the last 6 months

Apostilled, in Eng or Fre. Original and two copies. Make sure that is it less than 6 months, to be on the safe side.

(e)  Proof of financial means (Contract of employment or recent bank statement or recent salary slip);

Regarding the bank statement, would appreciate if anyone can clarify how recent it has to be and what amount it should show.

As recent as possible. If you are applying in December 2019, the most recent will be November 2019. Yours is more important than hers in this case (as you are the man- sorry but this is unfortunately still a little sexist, but necessary.) They want to see if you have a regular income and can care for her needs. If she works, then she can bring hers as well, or her salary slips. The past 6 months' statement. The amount is not as important, but regular income is a must.

Original and two copies of each document. No Apostille needed.

(f)  Medical certificate attesting that applicant party does not suffer from any infectious or contagious disease (from a medical officer practicing in Mauritius);

She needs this before you go to the Civil Status office. If she was previously divorced and it has been less than 365 days since that final judgement, the she also needs a medical certificate certifying that she isn't pregnant (this is to ensure that she isn't carrying her previous partner's child). Original and two copies again. This MUST BE FROM A MAURITIAN DOCTOR OR DOCTOR REGISTERED AND PRACTISING IN MAURITIUS.

(g)   Affidavit sworn before the Supreme Court of Mauritius against payment of Rs150 only; and

New Supreme Court, Ground Floor. First room to your right as you enter. The queue could be long, so be there at 9 am. It takes about ten minutes. You need to find a solicitor or barrister to draw the affidavit or draw it yourself if you know law (I drew mine, so I didn't need to find and pay somebody for it). This needs to be done on the day you are going to the Civil Status office to apply for the marriage permit, or the day you arrive, but before 2pm, as they close early (the cash office).

After the "swearing" you go to the cashier and pay for it and come back to the same room and collect it. You don't need to wait in line again. Go early though, as there might be a queue at the Cashier as well. Cashier is on the ground floor, at the far end, to the left of the lifts.

Bring this and two copies as well (you can make copies at the Post Office on the Ground Floor of the Emmanuel Anquetil Building itself, where the HQ of the Civil Status office is).

(h) Return Air Ticket

For her. Original and two copies (I don't recall having to provide this in my case, but bring this along).

*All documents to be submitted in original copies duly authenticated and photocopies.

Self explanatory.

Are originals returned after use? (Especially in the case of the birth certificate and morality certificate as they have to be used again for the resident permit)

Yes. They just verify everything on the spot and return them. Two copies are needed because one set is kept at Civil Status Office and the other one goes to the Immigration Office.

Residence Permit is at the Passport and Immigration Office, Sterling House, located on the street next to the new supreme court where you swear your affidavit. You have a list of documents to produce there as well, and this office is on the Mezzanine floor (as you enter Sterling House, there are lifts to your right, and staircase next to those lifts. Take the staircase to the mezzanine and as you enter the waiting lobby, the Spouse Immigration is at the far end, in front of you. Door to the left. Be careful as there is an elevated platform in the middle of the waiting  area, and you can trip easily.

Check that you have all your documents before you go to the civil status office. This will ensure that you spend less time there. There might be a long queue, so be prepared for this. Bring some water and food along!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dear Alisa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an elaborate response. Really appreciate it.

Yes we will be travelling together to Mauritius. It will be her first time.

We will have already done the religious marriage overseas before flying back.

Cheers,
Laval

Give her copy of your MRU ID so she can present it at the airport, as you won't be in the same queue. Also, it is easier to provide a Mauritian address (e.g parents, cousins, friend's place) than that of a hotel, to speed things at the Immigration counter.

They might take her to a room for brief questioning (nothing to be afraid of, but make sure you let them know that she is with you to avoid this, especially if it is her first time on the island), in case they feel that something is missing. All the better if you're travelling together!

Let me know if you have any questions and all the very best :-)

Dear Alisa,

Very good morning to you.

Will do :)

Thanks,
Laval

pls am Nigeria,  i want to marry a Mauritian lady, she is ready now, and my tourist visa has expired, pls how can i marry her is it kn Mauritius or Nigeria amd how can i stay with her in Mauritius

pls i need answer to my question pls , as a Nigeria that had tourist visa, and already expired,  and want to marry a Mauritian lady, and the lady is ready to do all things to marry me, pls what is the easiest way pls

tman4real wrote:

pls i need answer to my question pls , as a Nigeria that had tourist visa, and already expired, and want to marry a Mauritian lady, and the lady is ready to do all things to marry me, pls what is the easiest way pls

If you are still on the island, sorry to say that you will be in trouble with the authorities for letting your visa expired.

You were supposed to ask for a visa for the purpose of marriage on entering the country:

Important Note for foreign nationals travelling to Mauritius for the purpose of marrying citizens of Mauritius    ​
​    ​    ​    Foreign nationals should imperatively apply and obtain a visa prior to undertaking their travel for the purpose of marriage.
As regards a non-citizen who is exempted from the requirement of visa for short stay and has prior firm intention to enter into marriage with a citizen of Mauritius, the non-citizen should imperatively declare his/her intention of the marriage to the Immigration Officer on his/her arrival indicating the particulars of his/her fiancé(e).

http://dha.pmo.govmu.org/English/Mandat … -Visa.aspx

Thank you, members, for the guidance.

Please confirm about the return ticket? Is it necessary to have paid ticket or booking will be sufficient? As we have a plan to continue to stay in Mauritius.

Another, the marriage visa is granted for thirty days? Is it sufficient to do civil marriage and apply for a residence permit in this thirty day or we have to travel back and apply for residency?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys i rilly need  some help from you if possible. My girlfriend is seychellois and we are planning in getting have a children together. obviously to be able to live together in our small family its better to get marriage first then have her get pregnant because she is a recent divorced woman and being pregnant can cause a lot of doubt to the immigration office. so we decide to get married first then have our small family. She came once in mauritius on the march of 2020. What is the easiest way for us to be able to be together and live here getting married in mauritius?? and have our child born here and live in a family situation. No religion marriage will be done only civil..... if someone can help me out cuz she is saving and coming either on april or august to do all this. I also need to know the sum of money i must have in my account and her too and all other infos of how to proceed. sorry to disturb you guys but it is something quite urgent and will be soooo gratefull if you can help me out in this please.

Wow thanks so much for this vital information...

Please house , I'm Treasure Abass from Lagos Nigeria 🇳🇬.. I wish to come settle down to work in Mauritius 🇲🇺,   I read an occupation permit is very required. I need assistance as regards to securing a job which I learnt might hasten me getting  the permit...my personal number is *** and email is *** .

Compliment of the season 🌲
Thank you.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct