Marrying a Faroese partner...

Intercultural relationships being taken to the next level...who here has married a Faroese citizen? How does one do this when not a member of the EU, and does that give permission to stay on the Faroe Islands till a residence permit is obtained?
Thanks for the generous help   :heart:
Patricia

Hello and welcome on our forum,

It is not my region, even if I worked for a few in Denmark.

But logically, concerning these different procedures, you should be able to find the answers on the website of the Danish embassy located in your country.

You will also find information on our forum via two possibilities:
- Guides located under the "discover" tab
- Old discussions to filter through the magnifying glass located next to your avatar.

I'm in the same boat.  I'm a US citizen and married a Faroese partner back in 2018 here in the States and she had to show the marriage certificate in the Faroes to change her name/get passport/etc, but it was fairly easy.

The next step is me moving to the Faroes.   If you want to live there (stay more than three months at a time) then you should apply for "family reunification" from your home country to the Danish consulate (which is what I'm doing right now as well).     

Hope that helped, and congratulations.

Sam

Hi Sam,
Thanks for your reply. What State are you from...I'm from Pennsylvania.  We have not married as of yet but I wanted to ask you why you did not file for family reunification while you are in the Faroes because I was told then you may stay until a decision is made which could potentially take up to a year. I hate the fact that we can only stay in the Faroes for three months and then must leave for six months that seems ridiculous as the Danish system you can stay three and then leave for three...the Faroes usually follows the Danes rules so why is this different 🙈 just want to be with the man I love.
Are you here in the Faroes now by chance?
Thanks,
Patricia

Patricia,

We are neighbors (I'm in New Jersey).   Our situation is a little unique as when we were married, I was still caring for my elderly mother (who did not want to leave NJ), and my wife and I agreed I'd move to the Faroes as soon as I could.   My mother passed away in March, so now we are moving ahead with my plan to relocate to the Faroes.

I believe it *might* be possible for you to apply for reunification while in the Faroes, but they recommend we do it while in the States.    The form is on the Danish site, but you have to scroll down past the first Family Reunification link and go down to where it says "Faroe Islands".

https://nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/Words and Concepts Front Page/US/Diverse US/application_forms

Because I'm just starting this process now, it's kinda new to me too, but if I discover any "bumps in the road" or helpful tips, I'll be sure to share them with you.

Sam

That sounds great Sam...thanks for your help. I will be heading back to PA mid August. If you want to keep in touch, you can find me on fb
Patt Lucas
You will see lots of Faroese pics lol
Thanks and good luck!

Cool, sent you a friend request :)    We can share tips and tricks as we both make this incredible journey to the Faroes (though I see you're there now...I should be there in December).