Buying laptop in Vietnam

Hi. Are laptops at fair price in Vietnam? Or overpriced in general? Can one get a decent selection of different laptops?
Thxs for any thoughts.

danrodri wrote:

Hi. Are laptops at fair price in Vietnam? Or overpriced in general? Can one get a decent selection of different laptops?
Thxs for any thoughts.

Here's a general rule of thumb I've observed, although others may have had different experiences:

If electronics or appliances are made outside Vietnam, there's not much of a discount, if any, for buying it here.

Best prices for this broad spectrum of products are for things made in Vietnam (especially appliances).

I'm personally not aware of a made-in-Vietnam laptop but I hope someone will enlighten us.

The selection of computers here is ok if you are not particular. Not all models by a manufacturer are available, and the latest models take longer to arrive.

I bought a new Apple iPad Air recently, it cost only about $15 more than the US when I added the horrendous California tax.
I just checked 2 laptops for fun. Laptops are relatively more expensive here.

MacBook Pro 13" 8G 256G ssd base model
$1250 on amazon.com in US ($1360 w California tax)
$1512 (34.990.000) at Futureworld in Saigon futureworld.com.vn (tax included)

Lenovo T490s, 14", 8G 256G 
$800 at lenovo.com in US + tax
$1230 (28.490.000) at Phong Vu in Saigon phongvu.vn

$150 more for the Macbook isn't so bad considering how living costs here are so low.
In the states you can certainly find deals, outlets, sales, used, etc.
Prices on everything imported is list price only in Vietnam.
You can check prices yourself. Try the websites above, also gearvn.com
Use a Chrome browser for webpage translation, and compare to models and prices in your country.
You can bring one computer in your carryon with no customs duty fee as your personal device.

Where to get cheap 2nd hand laptop?

-@Klmeermpt666

One of those ubiquitous small repair shops might be a good place to start.   Just look for the laptop on the sign.  You may need a local companion to bring along both for translation and to keep prices honest.

-@Klmeermpt666

Where in VN are you located?

Where to get cheap 2nd hand laptop?        -@Klmeermpt666

Where in VN are you located?

-@Aidan in HCMC

I was going to ask the same question, but then I saw the OP is in the Saigon sub-forum...though maybe @Klmeermpt666 didn't realize that?

Anyway, I decided to ask someone who has "never been" to Vietnam and see if they know the answer.

Here's my exchange with BARD, the Google AI search tool:

~~~~

ME:

"I'm looking for a used laptop in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The Vietnamese have a habit of clustering similar shops in the same neighborhoods, which is hard on competition but great for consumers in that we are often able to simply go to one neighborhood and walk through it and find many different merchants offering similar products. So, in the general area of Ho Chi Minh City, can you identify one particular neighborhood--maybe one street or a cluster of streets--where it appears that computers and computer repair shops are grouped together?"

BARD:

"Sure, I can help you find a neighborhood in Ho Chi Minh City where computer and repair shops are clustered together.

"Based on my search results, the An Dương Vương area in District 5 is known as a hub for computer and repair shops in Ho Chi Minh City. This area is home to a large number of shops selling new and used laptops, desktops, computer components, and peripherals. The shops are also known for offering computer repair services at competitive prices.

"Here are some specific streets in An Dương Vương where you can find computer shops:

*  Phó Cơ Minh: This street is lined with computer shops on both sides.  It is a great place to start your search for a used laptop.

*  Hồ Hùng Ngoc: This street has a mix of computer shops and other types of businesses, but there are still a good number of options to choose from.

*  Cao Đạt: This street is home to a few larger computer stores, as well as some smaller shops.

"I hope this helps!"

~~~~~

Let's see if locals there agree...

Yeah I wouldn't go to the D5 electronics market. It's a mess. Picture a wet market, with cables and boxes and old stuffs.

In case Klmeermpt666 is still around, District 1 has a computer street for windows computers and parts, they might have used computers.  On google maps, search Bui Thi Xuan, at the western (Coop Mart) end of the street for a few blocks. Not far from Bui Vien.  Use your iPhone to translate.  Or ask in Facebook Expat forum.

For a Mac, google the Mac repair shops, there is a good one in Thao Dien with lots of used.