Renting a car in Gran Canaria

Hi!

I'm planning a first trip to the Canary Islands to scout locations for an expat project by the end of 2021.

I would like to rent a car to be able to get around easily (I'm traveling with my dog, so public transportation doesn't seem to be an option...). The cheapest option I found was Goldcar but I saw all over the internet that it was a scam.

The second option was Autos Mancebo, but I can't seem to find any reviews online.

Does anyone here know if they are a serious company?

Are there cheaper options in town, rather than renting at the airport?

Thank you,

Emma

Hi,
In down town is cheaper than in the airport.
So the best solution is to get a taxi with your dog at the airport and come to Vecindario, which is 15 minutes trip by car. Then ask to the taxi driver to bring you to a rent car shop in Avenida de Canarias, there are some.
Anyway I will ask and I will be more precise.
Ciao, Roberto

Ciao Roberto! Always super helpful, thank you!
Isn't it cheaper to book the car online, though, even if it's downtown?

Hello, Goldcar is not a scam, I have rented a car in that company for a week and without problems, also one of the best rental companies is Cicar, it is all over the Canary Islands.

Maybe you got lucky...

https://fr.trustpilot.com/review/goldcar.fr

There's over 1500 legal procedures against them in Europe.

I ended up renting with Plus Car. They came to pick me up at the airport.

I booked on their website, they didn't ask me for credit card info in advance, which made me feel safer given how low the price was. At my arrival, the guy was there, we signed the contract, and I paid cash and he didn't take a print of my credit card because they have an all inclusive insurance.
The car is nothing fancy (a Fiat panda, not the latest model), but I guess that's how they keep the price so low (that and they don't have an office at the airport nor in Las Palmas).

I ended up paying 178€ for 4 weeks, which is insanely low.

I'll let everyone know how everything goes after I return the car.

Emma

Hello,
This is my final feedback about PlusCar.
Everything worked out without any surprises.
On the last day, I filled the tank to 3/4, just like it was on the first day and I dropped the car at the airport, where an employee met me to get the key back.
No hidden costs, no additional fees.
I paid 177€ to rent a Fiat Panda for 4 weeks, and it had a great gas mileage on top.
So I would strongly recommend it.
E.

Hello CanaryFrenchie, I found this comment and I would like to share my experience when I went to the Canary Islands. I would like to tell you that the company I used to rent cars in the Canary Islands was [link moderated] and the truth is that it was wonderful. The reservation was safe, fast and they gave me the car I chose.