Driving to Belize through Mexico Suggestions? Advise?

Hello Folks,
Has anyone done this and would you have recommendations. I am an older single woman with two dogs. I'd drive there so I have a car and can transport some household items. The plan is a permanent move.
Thanks,
Carol B
Dolores, Colorado

Following, I'm also interested in this idea.  I'd like to have my car with me and bring my dogs without the stress of flying them,

bylsma carol wrote:

Hello Folks,
Has anyone done this and would you have recommendations. I am an older single woman with two dogs. I'd drive there so I have a car and can transport some household items. The plan is a permanent move.
Thanks,
Carol B
Dolores, Colorado

Hi Carol,
We've driven from Alberta to Belize, and back, quite a few times. We travel with two dogs.
Last trip was just before covid, in the fall 2019. We'll drive again as soon as our border and the Belize border open, and after we get our second covid shot.
You can message me. I'd be happy to share our experiences.

My husband and I are in Grand Junction, CO and planning the move as well. We were considering flying, but I really don't want to put my 3 dogs, and 2 cats in cargo, so we are considering a drive as well when the land border opens.

Some of us might be able to caravan...would be an interesting adventure :)
I'm going to keep my eye on this topic.

Hello Albertans!
Same habitat there as in Colorado. I once had family living in Edmonton and also a best friend, so I have travelled here lots in my past.

So happy to learn of your driving through Mexico. Are you in Belize now, or Alberta?

I think my drive won't happen until Fall, 2021. I am flying to Belize in June to locate a place to rent.

Let's keep in touch.

Carol

Hello,
This is wonderful news. When might you want to drive? I am thinking Fall 2021.
Carol

bylsma carol wrote:

Hello Albertans!
Same habitat there as in Colorado. I once had family living in Edmonton and also a best friend, so I have travelled here lots in my past.

So happy to learn of your driving through Mexico. Are you in Belize now, or Alberta?

I think my drive won't happen until Fall, 2021. I am flying to Belize in June to locate a place to rent.

Let's keep in touch.

Carol

I'm sending you a message.

i have tried to do that also  but i have a german shepherd  and doberman pinscher  plus  three siamese cats........cargo now day's is no place for live animals.......most airlines will not even  take  live animals  in  cargo  any more  small dog/cat can go in main cabin as long as it fit under seat (???)  i do not know of a crate that will fit  under  seats on  airplanes    and since i have large dogs  can not get them on plain  so have to drive   i have thought of getting passports for dogs and purchasing tickets   for them  so they have seats  still may  try  that  if  get  real  desperate   driving is the only way i can see to get to belize  if only  mexico  would  go  away  then  drive would be  good....now  i hear  rumors  that  mexico  has  closed  it's  border with  belize   just  belize

We chose to drive to Belize for the same reason in late 2016 - 4 dogs and no way we were going to put them on a plane. We've heard of many people who make the drive in a few days or a week which seems crazy to me. Since we were making a permanent move, once we got into Mexico we realized we were in no rush so when we found a spot we liked, we'd stay for a few days or even a week. We ended up spending 2 months driving through Mexico.

The driving part was not fun (driving a big RV with 4 dogs on rough roads, towing a pickup behind us, not speaking Spanish, and following a very dated book on Mexican RV parks), but Mexico was wonderful. By the time we reached the Belize border, we were sad to be leaving Mexico.

My #1 piece of advice is to start following ioverlander.com. We didn't discover this fantastic site until 3/4 of our way through Mexico. Had we discovered it earlier, it would have made our trip a lot easier. If you'd like to read about our journey you can check out the blog from our trip here: http://catobelize.blogspot.com/2016/10/ … -that.html

Take your time, have fun, and soak up Mexico (once the borders are open and the virus has settled down).

Perfectly said, CAtoBZ!

Wow, Thanks for your info and I am enjoying your Blog too, I got to the coast after the second Pemex station. I will read on and also your starting Stephen King quote is sot on!
Carol

hi carol  i am going  to be  driving through mexico  in last half of june  2021   really  do  not want to waste time  site seeing in mexico   just  want to get out of that country   or stay in usa
  for any longer than have to ..... belize opens the border in june  (supposed to) i plan to be  one of the first in     i love belize  i will be moving there for good

Dear Helen,

Thanks for letting me know of your plans. Best wishes with your travel across Mexico and to Belize.
My move will take longer as I am just beginning the process. So I am flying there in Early June to check out rent potentials and locations. I am thinking south of Belize city towards Dangriga and Hopkins area but will also check out Placencia.
Then I will come back and start organizing for a move in mid-Fall.
Let's keep in touch and see where we each land.
Regards, Carol

hi carol   yes that is nice area......however   you  will pay  a  very high price  for real estate  in that area...but go ahead and check it out

and yes  we will keep in touch  even if i am in nortn part of belize and you in  the south part  can still visit   email  etc etc  (belize  is not that big a country)    good luck with the move

We just bought a house at Hopkin area and we have two cats and stuff want to bring down. So we are planning to drive down after the land board open. Brigitte gave us wonderful advises for driving through Mexico. If anyone want to drive together, please send message to me and we can organize it.

Coco

Hello Coco,
When are you planning to drive? IMy plan is in the Fall after the weather cools down so probably in November or December.
Thanks for telling all of us!
Carol

bylsma carol wrote:

Hello Coco,
When are you planning to drive? IMy plan is in the Fall after the weather cools down so probably in November or December.
Thanks for telling all of us!
Carol

Carol - we are thinking of end of April or May if the land board is open.

ho cocoher......i am helen allison    and  also   driving to belize   now  here is the bad news    BELIZE  has  closed it's borders  until  june   (because of covid)   this  year  AND  NOW    stupid  crocked mexico  has  closed the  belize/mexico border  that country  is  so  full  of  garbage  and  now  that  stupid country  closed  the border to belize  ONLY  they  are mad  nobody  wants to be in mexico  so  they are  not  letting  anyone through to belize      my information comes from  my attorney/realtor  in  belize   has given this information to me    and he knows what goes  on  it is his business     so it would be a good idea  to wait  until june  and see what happens

Hi Helen, thanks for the information. Lets keep in touch. I added you as a friend.

hi again  nice to hear from you    yes we should keep in touch  this moving to belize  is getting  harder  all the time....why belize is closing   border now a year after the outbreak  and now with the vaccine  it is weird......but the main problem now is stupid  mexico   who has closed mexico/belize border.......looks like may have to drive to/through guatemala     to get to belize  but june is a couple months away things could change again ... when finally can drive to belize  i have a guide  that will be going with me  he is belize military and does this as side job

Helen - I checked and Mexico will open the border on 4/21 as for right now.

hi  cocoher  that is good news but the belize border will  be closed until june 2021 but  i was told by belize embassy  person  that  that  (closer/open) is fluid and may change  he will keep me informed

Thanks Helen, please keep us posted.

Good luck to everyone.  Please post your journeys!  We won't be making ours until early next year.  Looking forward to it!

What route do you feel is the safest?

Tom and Gerry

Onourway2018 wrote:

What route do you feel is the safest?

Tom and Gerry

I feel that the central route through Mexico is much safer than the Gulf Coast route. (Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña or Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras crossings)
Can't speak to the western routes.
Happy and safe travels!

We will be driving to Belize or hiring a Private Charter Jet from Houston Hobby to be in San Pedro 15th October.
We are interested in the Caravan or sharing the plane with others.
We are 2 adults, Noodles medium dog and 2 cats

Hey Helen,

My husband and I may be making this journey soon.  What's the name of your guide and contact info?

Thanks,

Mark and Cyndy

If anyone is planning a trip in November, I would be interested to join the caravan or charter.

Evening
We are getting pricing for a Charter from Houston to Belize City on the 15th October.
We would be happy to share and make and arrangements necessary to share.
What is your pick up location?
My email is ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
paulinemckee wrote:

Evening
We are getting pricing for a Charter from Houston to Belize City on the 15th October.
We would be happy to share and make and arrangements necessary to share.
What is your pick up location?
My email is ***

I'm send you a message.

We are looking for a charter to Belize.  We live in Richmond, VA.  Are there charters on the East Coast?  We expect to go Feb 2022.

@bylsma carol

Recommend you don't do the drive by yourself

My brother and I drove a truck down two years ago to leave at my place in Belize.  5ft 10; 230 lbs. athletic. Boxed. Good with vehicles.  Brother 6 ft. 280 lbs. Former sniper and police officer.  I felt hesitant driving in Mexico.

It was a fun trip but my head was turning all of the time

If your going.
Car- have all belts replaced. All fluids replaced. New battery if old. Good spare tire.  Extra fluids. Oil, radiator, steering, brake etc. water. Air pump and battery jumper

Don't drive in the dark. Be off the road by dark. Stay on the major highways.

Major towns are 2 to 4 hours apart. Don't go to the next town unless you can make it before dark

Pick hotels that have gated parking. Check out the Fiesta chain of hotels.

Make sure you remember to stop at all three at the border.  Passport, car sticker, and import inspection. These are at three different locations. Get your car insurance on line.

Recommend you enter at Nuevo Laredo in Texas. Stop in San Luis Potosí.  If you had times go to the waterfalls. Stay in the center of Mexico. Take the outer circle around Mexico City. Stay along the coast at ???.  Then stay at Chetumal. If you stay in Belize this will be one of your main shopping and entertainment cities to go to. 

Get overseas emergency health insurance. Also coordinate with a US accountant to make an annual payment into Medicare and Medicaid.  If you don't maintain this you will lose it. You will return to live in the US at some point.  There are no retirement homes in Belize. 

Mexico's highways are better than the US highways.  Bring about $800 to cover tolls.  Make your currency exchange in Nuevo Laredo.  Take about $2,000 converted to Pesos.

Mexico is beautiful but with pets.  Push to get through it. Take time to do the breakfast buffet at the hotels. Great food.

Once you cross into Belize plan to pay tariffs and get car insurance. This may take you 3 to 4 hours at the border.

Take vehicle ownership papers.  Insurance papers. Check ahead on the tariff on the car. If your not going thru the QRP program you may have to pay 70% of your vehicles value as a tariff.  If you have a $40,000 SUV you may have to pay $28,000 in tariff.  You will want to haggle.  When you think you have haggled enough ask to talk with the next person in charge and haggle more. This may be your first bribe moment.

Depending on where your going in Belize you may want to plan to stay at a hotel in Belize somewhere. Although it is a small country it takes a while to move around.

Have fun.  Have someone ride with you.  They can fly back.

Great info! Thanks!

Follow up:

We used Allianz Global for our foreign travel insurance.  Recommend you buy their annual package.

Make your money exchange in Laredo, not Nuevo Laredo.

Also believe there are two entry points.  Research which is best for you.  See if the pets determine which entry point to use.

Take a sweater or wind breaker.  It gets chilly in the middle of Mexico.  Your at higher altitudes.

At the Belize entry into Chetumal, there will be two entry points, one for commercial and one for individual.  Find out which one you need to go through with your car.

Have a good trip.

@Dariush G

Did you ever find a caravan for November? Are you still going?

@Dariush G

are you still looking for a caravan in November?

@TheMouthTrap

Hi were a couple planning on driving down to

Belize in mid Dec to mid Jan 2022.  from AZ Have you left for your trip please share your expierence.

@CAtoBZ trying to access your blog but access is denied.