How to get a Drivers license?

Hello!
Is there a way to legally get a driver's license here in the Philippines for foreigners?
I don't have my drivers license from Canada with me, so I need a license here in the Philippines. Not a motorcycle, but a regular vehicle instead.
Any experience offered up here would be much appreciated! :)
Thank you 😊

Yes it is possible. u need to register at nearby LTO.
last time i checked, you must have stayed in the Philippines for at least consecutive 6 months, currently holding a valid visa. there are some affordable driving schools u can take to get the certification. later you need to take medical checkup etc, LTO will provide you the checklist.

as additional note, few malls have LTO inside.

Remember, NEVER use a fixer, as it is againts the law

Thank you... I knew that much, but I'm wondering if they require me to have a drivers license from my own country and or my birth certificate?

onefogarty wrote:

Thank you... I knew that much, but I'm wondering if they require me to have a drivers license from my own country and or my birth certificate?

What I know is they do look out for proof of yr MIN 6mth stay here (so do bring along yr passport/I was never asked to produce my BC). if you DON'T hold yr country of origin valid drivers license then you will have to do the practical driver training course followed by the theory assessment.
If you DO have a valid DL overseas then just get it mailed to you *not sure if they accept photocopies & then just go to yr local LTO for the conversion.

Probably the best way is to call the land transportation office(LTO) and ask them. If you live near  there

just go in person.I have had trouble at the LTO and BPI Bank with the employee understanding what

my request was so next time I had business(LTO) I just typed out a note on a piece of paper and

handed it to the front guard at LTO

and he took me straight to the person I needed to talk to. I am a senior so I didnt have to wait in line.

Type the words about # 20 and double space and bold. I just started doing this because I always have to talk

to 2 or 3 different people and explain the same thing over to each of them  before they understand what  I am

requesting. I went to the BPI and told her exactly what I wanted 3 times and she didnt do what I

asked her to. Thats when I got the idea to write it in words. I tried it at the LTO and it worked well.

Most Philippinos can speak English but many of them have a problem with comprehension as is

expected with learning any second language. My apologizes if I sound negative. Just saying what I have

experienced. At any rate you will need to have some sort of identification such as passport or alien

registration card, If you know someone from your country you can also have them mail your driver's

license to you. Good luck! God bless the Philippines!

no need, they will ask your canadian driving license ONLY if u want to CONVERT your home country license to PH driving license.

hi , i have been here 2 years , riding a motorcycle most of that time i thought legally !!!  finding out you can only drive here 90 days here on foreign licence a long way in to my 2 years . OK  i thought easy to covert ...i put a deposit on new motorcycle and a week later went online to make appointment LTO manila ,  medical required so went local LTO paid 500 peso got certificate , went online to get appointment , ...online says enter medical certificate number ..not recognised ..medical certificate are electronically sent to manila . but LTO near me and the main one manila ..on different systems !!!! called manila and was informed to convert foreign licence you have to have proof your going be here a year ..1 year visa or 13 a visa so i now have new motorcycle i cant legally use at the moment !!!! i have trawled through the internet and it says 1 year proof of stay ...except one item i saw which says got to have been here at least a month and proof of staying or immigration stamp giving six months ..this visa i beleive is only issued at main immigration offices ..apparently the length of going to stay here from a year to six months for foreign licence conversion was changed in 2020  ???? i have tried get confirmation , but cannot ..anyone know if its correct .... ohh  and the two years i have already been here ..makes zero difference because only doing two month extensions .....

onefogarty wrote:

Hello!
Is there a way to legally get a driver's license here in the Philippines for foreigners?
I don't have my drivers license from Canada with me, so I need a license here in the Philippines. Not a motorcycle, but a regular vehicle instead.
Any experience offered up here would be much appreciated! :)
Thank you 😊

It's too bad you don't have your Canadian license with you. Before my Nevada license expired I applied for a Fil license, it was easy and quick.

You go around the corner and take a cheap dubious medical exam, pay a few pesos and pass. Next you go around another corner and rent a pair of pants if you don't have the proper attire.

They will issue you a license on the spot, the black & white photo on the license is such poor quality, it makes you look like thousands of other expats.

Maybe they use the same photo for all of us?

Have you tried going online and looking up the location of a Licensed Transportation Office (LTO) near you? They should be able to tell you what the process of getting a driver's license here in the Philippines involves. There are different classes of licenses, each type is assigned a number, So the fact that you are looking for a driver's license to drive a car or SUV will help you get the specific information you are looking for.

Carl

thanks but the one year proof of staying here is the problem ..just looked the lto site conversion foreign licence to non professional filipino one ..no mention on there of the one year proof of stay required ...anyway have sent them a message on their site..

Alan-Sounds like you are having mucho problems. Always best to do your research before buying a

motorcycle or doing just about anything else. I was lucky- didnt have any problems when I got my

drivers license or bought my Suzuki 110cc. For my Dr Lic I had to sit  in a 1 hour class at the LTO. Easy

written test as driving rules same as USA and wasnt even required to take a driving test. Just paid a little

extra money.Only BIG problem I have had and still having is registering the ownership into my name.

New law July of 2020. I bought the bike 2015 and have been registering it every year in the original

owners name. She lives in Manila and I was lucky to contact her after 5 yrs she was still at the same

address on the deed that she gave to the 2nd owner. 2nd owner lives 15 minutes away from me.I am

the third owner. I wrote original owner a letter and she responded thru my email. Shes having a baby

and runnin a small business and too busy to help me so LTO and I are trying to get this done with only

the bill of sale she gave to  2nd owner and her picture, and deed from 2nd owner to me. Otherwise you need 2 Gov photo color  IDs with

3 signatures  horizontally spaced on each photo copy next to the ID. I have 2 photo copies black and

white with 1 signature on each. Hoping they will accept that.I said this before in this forum and will say

it once more. NEVER-EVER buy any vehicle from the second or third owner. Always buy from original

owner  if its used or from a dealership new. Good luck with your circumstances. Research 1st Its

imperative  Keep the faith brother!

Alan thats true. I think I was here two on a tourist visa when I got my DR Lic and when I got my quota

visa 3 yrs after I arrived here it kicked  everything into high gear in getting things done.. Big long

process but it was well worth it!

hi , stupidly i thought change licence would be simple !!!! having been here i should have known better ...nothing simple here .. cant wait get back uk ..normally six months here is enough for me not two years ....enough is enough . dumaguete a year was ok ..ish ..no checkpoints ..unlike here too many ..another problem buying new ...illegal to use for three months with no plate ...EVEN IF YOU HAVE LICENCE !!!  can use for 7 days or something if you have some sticker ...this place is just crazy ..really had enough ......................

They do everything here by the book. Actually OVERDO everything. I stayed in Dumaguete about a week before moving on to Tagaytay, Also in Delaguete about a week before Dumaguete. Both places way to hot for me. Too many expats in Dumaguete. Not bad in Del. Went to Tagaytay a few weeks. Still too hot. N. Luzon is good for me.

capricornrising wrote:

They do everything here by the book. .

Except common when something dont function and its their work to make it function   :lol: but they dont even try  by telling someone who can fix it.

Hi,

I have exchanged my UAE licence. If you don't have a licence I do believe you will have to do the whole process.

Regards,

Too many people to thank individually for their responses here, so I'll just say thanks to everyone for the helpful information.
cheers!

you don't like expats? Or just certain types?

sorry for your experience. I have been here since Feb last year, just before everything got crazy with the lockdowns...for sure it has been stressful for me too brother.  Try having a baby during the pandemic in the philippines...THAT was incredibly stressful!! arggg
Anyway, good luck to you and stay safe :-)

hi .you exchanged your uae licence for filipino ?  when was it ? you supplies proof of being here for at least a further year ?????????????????????? or are you on 13 a visa ?

Probationary 13 A. Yes I exchanged my UAE licence.

thanks  ..i could go down the 13 a route ..but just had enough of the jumping through the hoops ..i would sooner just wait till i can fly out ...maybe back ?? and the 90 days starts again ..but at the moment its not possible without quarantine there and when you return ..and cant return to manila without visa and then got go quarantine ... crazy at moment ..cant go back uk , phils on red list ..even if not dubai , qatar , turkey on any route back ..all on uk red list !!! covid cases daily in uk now ..indian variant moore than phils .... but phils on uk red list ..ten days uk hotel costing 115,000 peso ..not going happen !!! was looking place on green list ..stay ten days go back uk from there ..no hotel quarantine or quarantine home ..portugal was on green list ..now amber ...just a crazy situation now ...course i could just ride illegal ..... tried be legal ..but they just make difficult ..why not make like acr card ..pay ..renew yearly ?? too easy ..

meiringfrancois wrote:

Probationary 13 A. Yes I exchanged my UAE licence.

There is no probationary 13 A. First you get a ACR-1 which is probationary for one year.

#1 And if you been a good boy or girl after fees & more fees, red tape & more red tape, endless paperwork and more endless paperwork, trips to immigration and more trips to immigration, you can finally get your 13 A. Do not pass go and do not collect your 200 Pesos.

You don't need a 13 A for you to convert your existing drivers license to A Fil drivers license. An ACR-1 will do, but you have to be in the Fil 6 months to get an ACR-1 Then complete #1 over again for your probationary ACR-1

A word to the wise, make sure your drivers license is up to date in your home country before you come here. Then get your Fil drivers license, no tests, pay a fee using your home based drivers license.

The penalty for driving without a license in the Philippines is
PHP 3,000. This would apply for those driving without license & also applies to having a delinquent, expired, suspended, revoked, improper, or fake driver's license  (Updated 12 Feb 2021)

Inquire at the LTO what your options are. They will give you concrete advice. Good luck!

quite simply unless you have a 13 a or visa valid for one year ..you cant convert foriegn licence ..even heard of one guy flew in togrther got the balikayan stamp ..good for a year , but whichever lto he went to said thats not a one year visa !!!!!!!!!!!! lived in thailand for a while , 18 months until they made it tough to stay long , back to back visas etc not allowed ..far easier drivers licence there ..in fact i never bothered ..lets face it thailand or philippines ...i know lots foreigners here is because hard to stay thailand now long term ..otherwise i think not many foreigners here ... me for one ....

Getting a driver's license in a new country can definitely be a process.

@alankno74 this is complete nonsense..untrue. I just converted my license in Cebu. I came on a visa upon arrival 30 day tourist visa. I came in Nov. As if now my last 2 month visa extension goes until July. I converted it without any issues at SM Seaside. Don't go anywhere else or you will need a 4 month visa stamp on your passport.

I got a 13a in Chicago(took less than a month).  Entered went to bi, told to get quarantine stamp, got it, went to bi paid fees and applied for acr in mnl.  Took a month picked up acr good for five years.  Went to lto in San Fernando Pampanga with copies of passport acr, us drivers license 500 for med, 680 for license.  They were nice walked me through.  Didn't ask for anything extra.  I told them I could hang out all day if they needed me too.  2 hrs I had a card(which the supposedly didn't have according to the newspaper).  Late Oct to early Dec 23 timeframe