Maybe Belize is not for me

I have visited Belize 3 times this year.  I love the people, the climate, the way of life in Belize.

I am 55 years old and trying to make a plan for my next chapter.  I have many business ideas that I  think could work in Belize.  I have experience starting and running a business from scratch.

I have read many posts that tell people to go slow, come to Belize to test it out, rent and really get the feel of the place to make sure it is a good fit.  That seems to be wise advice.  I'm trying to figure out if it is time to admit defeat or to keep searching for my place here.

This may sound trivial but the mosquitoes are fierce here.  When I get bit, the site swells up to a size of a nickel and sometimes as large as a quarter.  I have topical creams that help.  I wear deep woods off insect repellent.  I know it sounds stupid, but I am in Belize now and I have at last 12 bites on my legs. 
And on 2 separate visits, I have found small tics stuck on my body. 

I know I must sound ridiculous but I am wondering if anyone else has a similar problem with the bugs here. 

I have spent time in Belize City, Burrell Boom, Caye Caulker and San Ignacio.  Is there an area that is less prone to mosquitoes and tics?

Thank you.

MB

Not sure if mosquitoes are my problem.  After reading more, maybe the problem is sand flies.

Hi what I have found that worked for me is
After I shower while still wet I spray avon skin so soft all over me and rub it n before I dry.
Then I dry off
Put o my lotion or shea butter
Then spray my bug repellent on me.  And I don't get bit at all

I think it's the layers of moisturizer that I use and also I think because of the layers the bug repellent don't aggravate my skin.   

Now I order skin so soft before I moved here and brought it with me.  Let me know your thoughts 🤔

I will definitely try that.  Thank you!

No problem.

Thank you for sharing your struggles.  It feels like everyone is afraid to say anything negative about Belize. I know it's an amazing place and hope to move there myself someday.

Having more information helps weigh the pros & cons more accurately.

I do not put my feet on the ground when sitting at the seawall and keep repellent with me at all times.  I was told that lotions and scents attract them. It takes about 2 weeks for the painful bites to heal.  Any time I spend a significant amount of time outdoors,  I have to spray.  The ants are also painful.  I use DE powder from the states along the walls and so far. No bites in a while.  I've always wondered why people are hesitant to 'type' negative things about this country but complain endlessly in person.

I discovered Lidocaine spray which is amazing.  I found it in a Chinese grocery store.  It eliminated the pain and itch for several hours. 

I have also heard that there are fewer biting insects in Corazol.  I plan to check out that area during my next visit to Belize.

Ticks-  Skin so soft as mentioned above.  Or Deep Woods off on your pants legs if going through grass or woods.

Mosquitoes- beach, its sand fleas.  Spray your legs.  I'm originally from Louisiana and lived in a Creek Bottom with lots of mosquitoes and bugs.  To me Belize almost has zero mosquitoes or bugs.  Wear long sleeve shirts when going into the jungle.

Our Belize place is near Spanish Lookout along a river and some forest nearby.  No bug issues at all.

Decide the area you want to live in, then learn to adapt.

If you start having problems with bugs near your house, every few days or after a rain, take regular vinegar and spray or pour some around your doorway or house.  Also don't do landscaping against your house.

Also ask the locals.

I have lived here for 30 years. Prior to that I worked in the US in the logging business. Shortly after moving to Belize I found my self in the logging business again. Lots of exposure to all types of insects.
Best long term ways to combat bugs in Belize  are; live in the north, about 1/2 the rain fall they have in the south,
less rain = fewer bugs. Live along the coast, the more breeze the fewer bugs. Live on the 2nd floor, 10 or more feet above ground level = fewer bugs.  Down south the sand flies can put you right over the edge.
We have lived in our current house in Consejo Village for 17 years. We live across the road from the bay on the 2nd floor of  our house.  The bugs are so few, we don't even have screens on the veranda,
Not zero bugs but damn few.
wish you well
Bob

Thank you.  Next time I come to Belize, I plan to check out the Corozal area.  Beach front or ocean view, 10 feet up sounds lovely.

No problems with bugs or mosquitoes in Corozal Town.  We have lived on the water for 10 years and although we have a large lot on the sea and a canal behind us, we only spray for ants.  The town has a truck that sprays when there has been a lot of rain.  Also, the garbage is picked up by the town almost every day.  Lots of birds and trees and it is just wonderful looking at the bay whether it is calm, stormy, moonlit,or when the tide is out.  We were on Ambergris Key  for 4 years, and still have easy access if we want to go there or to Mexico... 20 miles to a major center .  After Hopkins with sand flees, and weather/ climate in other parts of Belize along with mosquitoes and bugs  we finally settled to build in Corozal.

There really is no place in Belize to completely get away from mosquitoes. Corozal area has fewer, especially in the dry season. The islands are better as long as no standing water is around, but one trip to Caye Caulker was a mosquito apocalypse.  On the second day I had close to 150 bites. The area we stayed in was surrounded by stagnant pools of water. In closer to town they weren't bad at all. I also hear the mountain area has fewer. Northern Belize has a lot less rain than Placencia. We're settling down on land close to Sarteneja. I'm 57 and we hope to be there permanently in five years or so.

I disagree with Lazyhazel.

The Corozal area can be quite bad for bugs.

The best place to live is the Cayo District which is inland and relatively free of mosquitoes.

I have heard that the Cayo area has the least amount of mosquitoes. I will add that Sarteneja only had mosquitos come out in the early morning and in the evening. I've also heard and experienced for myself that the closer you are to the ocean and the breeze as well as the higher up you are from the ground, the less mosquitoes there are. There really is no place in Belize that is completely without them. I think the person asking the question wanted to be near the ocean, unless I'm confusing my threads. That is why I suggested Northern Belize. Less rain = less mosquitoes.

I really appreciate everyone's observations and personal experiences.

I am surprised Cayo has fewer mosquitoes.  That's good to know.  I may have to check that out.

I do think living near the water sounds lovely.

I am planning to be in Corozal in June to see what it's like. 

What are the driest months and least mosquito months?

Thanks.

Lol guys your coming to the tropics guy's. Life is so different here. It's mother nature Belize can't change that. You don't want to be bite my flies. Then gear up use your long pants and shirts. Come one.

She does have a legitimate concern. Yes, it's the tropics and mosquitoes are a part of life in Belize, but it doesn't hurt to ask if some areas are better/worse than others.

Moxie,
i am a Brit who has lived in Belize for 34 years. believe me when I say I know the country very well.

Cayo not only has very few mosquitoes , it also doesn't have those very annoying sand fleas that love to bite your feet and ankles.

Not only property prices but also the cost of living is far higher on the coast and cayes.

John Acott

I love this advice - I am a Brit also - living in Australia but coming to belize this year !

Anyone know anything about HOLISTICA  living community.they seem sketchy as hell.will not give out location .tell u they've sent you info.which they dont.and say will only talk on phone..any info?? Yet another belizean property scam???

Its the things the local call "noseeems" that I hate, shame this forum is not easier to post pictures. http://www.iguana-lodge-belize.com/static_gallery.html

Noseeums ( sand flies or sand fleas) can be very annoying but they are not everywhere.

We have very few bugs in the Cayo District.

True .. Mosquito's haven't been a problem I've noted in Cayo ... no see'ms and ANTS!! Who has the magic remedy to repel ants!?!?

You can buy a pink powder from Prossers that effectively gets rid of ant nests.

Moxie, anywhere there is standing water, there will be mosquitos. You've been in San Ignacio, and must know there are water canals all over town where there are mosquitos breeding. In Cayo's hilly rural areas without the canals, where water runs off, there are very few mosquitos.

The 'noseeums' mentioned are everywhere when there are heavy rains, and the ground is saturated. The only repellent I know that isn't toxic is Citronella oil, and it works very well.

Ticks are everywhere there is livestock or wildlife. They climb up on weeds and lay eggs, so you can brush up against them, and get a whole clutch of hundreds on you. Stay out of bushy areas, or wear light colored clothing so they are easy to spot if they get on you. The best way to get them off while they're crawling on you, is duct tape or masking tape. If they're already biting, just pick them off and kill them, and use antibiotic ointment like Barmacil to heal bites faster.

Ants come in all kinds of varieties, some leave bites with pussy welts, and others just hurt like hell when you feel them. About the only thing for them is to watch where you're walking carefully, and pay attention to any trees you're under, and brush off quickly if they fall on you.

Not mentioned are the poison caterpillars that inhabit (usually) the underside of plant leaves. Gardeners and hikers might brush up against with bare skin, and it is extremely painful, similar to jellyfish sting, with no antidote I know of.

As with everything, usually the most intact environment is the healthiest, and Nature lives in balance and harmony.

@moxie847

Oh no. I was thinking of coming there for a while, but I can't take all the bugs! UGH.

@gonegirlhairstudio THIS is the solution. Seriously.

Just wanted to repost what @gonegirlhairstudio said because this is the key. I've been living in Belize over 7 years. GoneGirl has cracked the code:

Hi what I have found that worked for me is

After I shower while still wet I spray avon skin so soft all over me and rub it n before I dry.

Then I dry off

Put o my lotion or shea butter

Then spray my bug repellent on me.  And I don't get bit at all

I think it's the layers of moisturizer that I use and also I think because of the layers the bug repellent don't aggravate my skin.   

Now I order skin so soft before I moved here and brought it with me.  Let me know your thoughts 🤔

@moxie847

Check out Hopkins. I got awful bug bites in Corozal area. None in Hopkins.  Stayed in a house with screens on the beach with beautiful breezes. Dined at the beach restaurants in the evening with mosquito coils going and repellant. And yes, ALWAYS on the second floor, not ground level. Also stayed in San Pedro and Caye Caulker, second floor.  Mosquito coils at night.