How to become an Erzieherin in Germany?

Hi,

My name is Jheannie and I am from Australia. Does anyone know how to become an erzieherin in Germany? Where to apply for an Ausbildung and what are the requirements? I am currently doing Diploma in Early Childhood Education and I'm hoping this will also help me in getting into this course in Germany.

I never really had a proper qualification but I did finished High School (10 years from where I'm originally from) High School Diploma. And I have some certificates from a vocational course in Australia.

Please help. I am planning to move in Berlin early 2023 after I finished studying here in Melbourne.

Thank you 😊

Kind regards,
Jheannie

"Erzieher" (kindergarten teacher) is a profession taught in an "Ausbildung" (apprenticeship), which consists of practical work in a child care institution plus theory courses in a vocational school. It takes three years and you receive a small stipend during that time.
You have to apply for places at individual kindergartens - and fulfil their expectations as well as school entry requirements (which include German fluent enough to follow classes).
Once a certified "Erzieher", you can easily find work anywhere (as there is a shortage). But keep in mind that the job is not particularly well-paid in Germany.
Good luck!

Thank you Beppi 😃 I just started my German language course and I'm on A1 now 😬 Hopefully I'll get better next year.

Will I not get any credit from what I'm studying now? I am planning in translating everything I have to help me get into vocational school. Can someone recommend any vocational in Berlin? Thank you 😊

You probably need B2 or higher to enter Berufsschule.
Whether any of your credentials will be recognised? No idea - ask the relevant authorities!
You need to apply at individual kindergartens, not the Berufsschule.

Without more information I cannot judge it exactly but getting  a degree in early childhood development and an Erzierer-Ausbildung sounds pretty similar. Why would one spend the time to do a training in one country and basically repeat it in another? Sounds like a couple of years of redundant learning.

You should find out if such a certification would qualify you to be a Erziererin already. The main thing is the language. You'll need to get your German up to level anyway. So why not just concentrate on German and then do the Erzieher-training and skip the child development diploma? Or if you finish the current degree, inquire if it isn't already recognized.

jheannievujic wrote:

Hi,

My name is Jheannie and I am from Australia. Does anyone know how to become an erzieherin in Germany? Where to apply for an Ausbildung and what are the requirements? I am currently doing Diploma in Early Childhood Education and I'm hoping this will also help me in getting into this course in Germany.

I never really had a proper qualification but I did finished High School (10 years from where I'm originally from) High School Diploma. And I have some certificates from a vocational course in Australia.

Please help. I am planning to move in Berlin early 2023 after I finished studying here in Melbourne.

Thank you 😊

Kind regards,
Jheannie

Are you looking to come to Germany under a visa for an apprenticeship or will you be on some other kind of visa?

Every state has a slightly different path to qualify as an Erzieher and it's generally set at the higher end of requirements and level of instruction. Often, the Ausbildung takes four years rather than the typical three. This is the case since Erzieherausbildung does not only apply to early childhood education but encompasses after school care for primary school children, positions in boarding schools up to the age of young adulthood, positions in residential hospitals, etc.

Ausbildung can mean a dual system apprenticeship based on a contract with a nursery school or a school-based programme interspersed with internships in different organisations or a programme that qualifies those who might have had a different qualification  and now work in child care. The 'Fachschulen' may be state or private. Up until December 2020, Erzieherausbildung was one of the few apprenticeships where tuition was payable by the trainee.

I hear that recognition of non-EU qualification is often unsuccessful since a good portion of the programme is about the German laws surrounding child care. Not sure whether there would be any partial recognition.

Berlin has several Fachschulen, my daughter attends one of the state schools that offer a programme for Erzieher (she is in a different stream, though, so I can't tell you much about it).

The town where I live - just outside Berlin, yet still on its public transport system - also has a state school for this and I know several nursery schools/day cares that desperately need more Erzieher, even specifically bilingual ones. I think it will come down to your visa or lack thereof and whether you will need sponsorship or not, how hard it will be to find a place.

jheannievujic wrote:

HWhere to apply for an Ausbildung and what are the requirements? I am currently doing Diploma in Early Childhood Education and I'm hoping this will also help me in getting into this course in Germany.

Jheannie

What exactly is a Diploma in Early Childhood Education? Is it a Bachelors Degree?

Have a look here:

https://www.erzieherin-ausbildung.de/co … ausbildung

There is no problem with me getting a visa since my daughter holds a German Passport. I will get through her.

jheannievujic wrote:

There is no problem with me getting a visa since my daughter holds a German Passport. I will get through her.

That's great, residence permits of parents of minor German nationals give unrestricted access to the job market. I'd be surprised if you'd be struggling to get a place - either in the dual system or a school-based one.

ALKB wrote:
jheannievujic wrote:

That's great, residence permits of parents of minor German nationals give unrestricted access to the job market. I'd be surprised if you'd be struggling to get a place - either in the dual system or a school-based one.

This assumes the daughter is a minor. If not then it doesn't help. A family reunion visa is for a spouse and/or minor children. An adult cannot get one for a parent except under extreme hardship conditions. From what has been posted I  would also assume the OP is not old that the child is no longer a minor but this should be clarified.

Thank you ALKB 😊 the link is very helpful

Yep my daughter is a minor. Thank you for all your efforts in giving lots of info. 😅

@jheannievujic you can actually be an erzieherin with english speaking schools or bilingual kindergarten here. i have a friend & she did'nt learn german because she's teaching the kids english

@beppi Hi, what if i already finished Pedagogy and got teacher certificate in my country? And i am looking for a job in Kinderheim ? currently my german is B1 but will go there and study more

Thanradaj: Check whether your foreign degree is recognised here. You also neet German at least at C1 level, so you may want to work on that.

@beppi hello there, may i know on how much does a erzieherin paid monthly? thanks!

@izaviena I do not know (only that they aren't paid well, compared to other professions), but you can certainly find this information in online salary surveys. Google them!