National ID card + Tax Account Number

Hi guys!

I'm relocating to Mauritius on the Premium Visa as a location independent contractor with income from the U.S. and trying to figure out how to obtain a National Identity Card and a Tax Account Number.

EDB says, "Where your income is being credited in your foreign bank and you will be simply withdrawing a certain sum via foreign credit or debit card for your expenses, neither your salary nor these withdrawals will be taxed in Mauritius". Is Wise considered a foreign, non-Mauritian bank? Or is it safer to just transact with a Barclays card for example?

I have written to RMS and Legis to request their assistance with income tax planning and self-assessment tax returns but no reply despite a reminder. I've also written to MRA to seek instructions on how to obtain a Tax Account Number to no avail. Well, I've understood I need a National Identity Card but can't figure out the requirements for a foreigner on the Premium Visa. Can someone here fill me in on the requirements? How soon can I get both the ID card and tax ID?

I'd be grateful if someone can recommend a well-established financial tax planner and certified accountant. Thanks a million!

Hello Taxfree23,

Welcome on board!

If you are not Mauritian, you are not eligible for the National Identity Card...

You may try with your passport number/Resident card number which you will be provided with when you become a resident. For your TAN (Tax Number) , use your passport number : https://eservices.mra.mu/apptan/feedpdfapptan

Question : Do you really need a TAN  (TAX number) ?

Wise is not a local bank,it is considered as an international money transfer technology system. You may go with any bank, it is considered foreign if it's located outside Mauritius. Your source of income should not be local.

I hope members will shed the light on your queries,
Anoushka

Thank you, Anou86,

I'm not Mauritian but still need a TAN. It's the whole point of going to Mauritius on the Premium Visa. I need a tax residency and as a location independent contractor I'll go wherever taxes are most favorable. I'm surprised EDB doesn't have clearer instructions for obtaining a Mauritian Tax ID when the Premium Visa is for 365 days and anyone who spends more than 183 days in Mauritius becomes liable to tax in Mauritius.

Try with your passport number : https://eservices.mra.mu/apptan/feedpdfapptan

Let us know if you are successful...If you're not, we can sort out a solution...

It should work fine.

All the best,
Anoushka