"Small jobs" and freelancing in Austria

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding freelance working in Austria. I am a Norwegian expat, and I relocated to Austria last year. I have been thinking of doing some small translation and proofreading jobs every once in a while, mostly as a hobby and to earn a bit more cash. I do not plan on working full time, every day, the whole year, and making a living of it.

I know that in my home country you can take on "small jobs" (like lawn mowing, house painting, dog walking, and other home-related small jobs for private persons) without paying taxes, as long as you are not paid more than €600 a year by the same "employer". You can also earn a maximum of €6500 total a year without paying income tax (and in Austria I believe it is as much as €11k). You do not have to register a business as a freelancer or self-employed for these kinds of jobs. I do not know if translation and proofreading jobs fall into this category in either Norway or Austria.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Do I have to register myself as a freelancer in Austria and pay freelance tax, etc. only to do smaller jobs like this? The site that I am planning on using to get translation jobs has users (outsourcers and freelancers) from all around the world - I will not necessarily work for any Austrian translation companies/outsourcers. Like said, I do not plan on making a living of these kinds of jobs.

Any help and advice is deeply appreciated!
O would suggest you join this group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/SelfEmployedAT

@SimCityAT Thank you!