How is life like working in Iraq

Hello All

Pleasure meeting you here. How is work and life generally in Iraq. I am from Nigeria.

I just got a job offer to work in Basra in Iraq and trying to find out how working in Iraq is like. Though am going to be living in the Company Project Camp at the project site.

Please I will appreciate if you can furnish me with how is life like working in Iraq regarding Security, Food, Working condition, Hospitality of the people and Social life etc.

Your prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Nurudeen
@Deen30

Hi Nurudeen, happy to hear that you are moving to Iraq, I'm sure it will be exceptional and unforgettable life time, Basra (south of Iraq) is the third  biggest city in Iraq, there are thousand of expatriates working there in Oil & Gas companies (operation field 25 - 150km) out of the city, as well expats can be found in shipping and freight  forwarders company in Umm Qasr port ( 70km) from the city, working there are safe with no doubt, the thing that might make it little bit unclear regarding the safety (mostly for locales and little for expats) is when there are demonstrations that done by unemployed  villagers who want to be recruited by the companies nearby their houses otherwise nothing to worry about.

Local, Western & international food types are available everywhere, small cafeterias to high class restaurants (McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza hot and similar brands are not available).

Locals are social and friendly easy to go with, so gorgeous,  helpful and supportive when needed.

Note:
corruption are almost everywhere, from top of pyramid to the base, you may not notice that at the beginning but sooner or later you will know it, my advice to avoid fighting or stopping these corruptions try to correct it step by step smoothly otherwise will be in trouble if the do not want to harm, they will send you back home.

I was working in Basra in umm qasr port for 1.5 year, 99% of my relatives and tribes are in Basra so i know this city proberly.
Conclusion.
No need to worry of coming here and how you life will be, you will have good experience and money.

Finally do not hisetate to be intouch if you need to know more or to offer you a hand.

Cheers
@shmuai

Thank you so much for your prompt, detailed and kind response, I deeply appreciate everything.

Please I will like to confirm one more thing regarding visa processing. My company is currently processing my multiple entry work Visa, Pls I will like to know how long it takes for work visa to me issued? (On average).

Also is there any possibility of visa been denied by Iraq authority?

Thanks

Momodu
@Deen30
Hi, visa process time can not be determined, it depends on the PRO (public relation officer) relation with government department, the more the pro will pay (bribe) to the gov . The fastest they will issue the visa. Thats it. Sometime it take several months other time will take less than a month.

Abdulsameea
Hi all,

@Deen, Welcome to expat.com! 1f603.svg

Please note that your post has been moved to create a new discussion on the Iraq Forum.

Thank you @shmuai for giving Deen some insights about life in Iraq!

Cheers

Vero
Expat.com team
@shmuai Hello Bro,
How are you, trust u are having a productive day.

Please my Iraq Visa process is over 2 Months (since Mid June) now and still waiting for approval.

Just want to know aside the more money the PR (Bribe) is willing to pay, what other factor could result to delay in Visa approval.

Thanks
Nurudeen

Nurudeen can we conn? i am a Nigeria also wanted to work in iraq. i got job offer

Hi Nurudeen, i am a Nigerian who got a job offer to work in Basra Iraq.  please lets connect

@Kuchoh as you got jobs offer, you have nothing to fear then

Thank you! the job is from Eni (permanent position) 28x28 rotation. i am an american citizen

Hello Everyone,

I am reading the above and i have an offer to join Fly Baghdad I am not going to lie I am a bit scared.  Has anyone flown with them? and how is their crew mix? only Arabic speaking or there are all kinds of nationalities.

I am from South Africa  i will appreciate some insight

Thank you all

I am researching for a project and want to find information about living conditions of rich expats living in Basra. I have the following questions:

1. Living conditions of rich expats mostly who work in the oil industry.
  2. Do they bring families? If yes, where do they live? What kind of gated societies? If possible provide names.
  3. Do they have household helps in their homes? If yes, who are they mostly? Are they local people or refugees from Syria or Afghanistan, etc?

Thanks in advance.