Help with translation from English to Sinhala

What is the Sinhala translation of "Did you eat today?"

The question starts with the word Āhāra.

Would someone provide the complete question in Sinhala?

Hello Nameless Clueless,

Welcome to expat.com!

Are you learning Sinhala?

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello Yoginee,

I am transcribing a video that my teacher is saying in Sinhala. He was Sinhalese and from Colombo. So yes I am learning Sinhala and one other language similar to Sinhala.

If this isn't the right forum, would you advise where I can get the translation? I searched for "sinhala discussion forum" to post a question and get the correct translation.

I tried the dictionary but nothing has Āhāra as the first word in the question. Thanks for asking.

Oba ada kema kewada?

oba= you

ada= today

Kema= food

Kewada= did (you) eat

Oba in simple Sinhala Oya. In plural oyala or obala.  whatever you meant here "Āhāra" comes from one of those.

If you search google for the word ahara, it means nutriment.

Nutriment means food.

It seems ahara is Sanskrit and NOT Sinhala.

Ahara in Sanskrit means taking food.

That is interesting! But I thought the (not anymore active) OP meant  by "Āhāra" knd of Ohela, since the dash on top of A and a in the word, because In swedish Å means O and Ä means kind of E.

(Ohela  is plural of Ohe which comes from oya or oba whichmeans you, however one should never call close friends by ohe  because it is kind of little bit unfriendly similar word for oya or oba.)

By the way just "Ahara" is also a Sinhala word means food, a similar word for kema but normally don't use in spoken Sinhala in everyday life.   

Hi,

Actually Sinhala Language has spoken and written. Spoken kāēma and written āhāra for food. But in your sentence it says did you eat today. There is no food included in that sentence. Just asking did you eat.

The spoken translation is for your sentence, oyă ada kāēwada?

Written,

1. oba ada kāēwāda (ate)?

2. This sentence can use with food because you mentioned āhāra:

oba ada āhāra gaththāda? (Took food?)

Note: a small line top of the letter means you should drag the letter.

Ex: āhāra = aahaara.

Hope this helps!

Iro

@Iro Kalpage94 your sentence is did you eat today? So there also not mention food

Sorry now I understand, that is keama, I told kewada

Hi,
Actually Sinhala Language has spoken and written. Spoken kāēma and written āhāra for food. But in your sentence it says did you eat today. There is no food included in that sentence. Just asking did you eat.

The spoken translation is for your sentence, oyă ada kāēwada?
Written,
1. oba ada kāēwāda (ate)?
2. This sentence can use with food because you mentioned āhāra:
oba ada āhāra gaththāda? (Took food?)

Note: a small line top of the letter means you should drag the letter.
Ex: āhāra = aahaara.

Hope this helps!
Iro
-@Iro Kalpage94

That was a great explanation. I had no idea about the small line on top of the letter means to drag the letter. However the thing is why  the sentence would start with "ahara" that is pretty unusual Sinhala to start with the object rather than the subject.     

@Guest5876  ada kema kavada ?

@Guest5876  the word ahara is used when we write.  When we talk we use kema.

Hello Ranmali,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, all Guest profiles are deleted accounts.

I suggest you browse the various threads on the Sri Lanka forum to see if you can help other people.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team