Apartment search strategies in Saigon

Hi Everyone

I'm moving to Saigon in about two weeks time, to work in Go Vap. I've lived in Tan Binh before so I have a good idea of the area. Last time I was able to find an apartment with an English speaking landlord just walking down the street from where I was staying near the airport

The owner told me that if someone had helped me find the apartment, he would have had to pay them a 10% commission on the rent each month for at least the first year, so I'm mindful of that whilst looking. Then there are other factors, like Facebook groups might be targeted to foreigners and so start with higher rents versus finding things on other platforms.

The other factor in my mind is that I did rent a place unfurnished in the Mekong Delta and furniture was actually really cheap (and good quality), so it was advantageous to rent unfurnished and buy everything myself. (It was $100/month less for unfurnished)

I'm wondering if people can help with the best search strategy for finding accommodation in or near Go Vap? Would you recommend trying to find unfurnished? Would you recommend not living in Go Vap but somewhere nearby? (I suspect rentals might be cheaper in Go Vap.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi Everyone
I'm moving to Saigon in about two weeks time, to work in Go Vap. I've lived in Tan Binh before so I have a good idea of the area. Last time I was able to find an apartment with an English speaking landlord just walking down the street from where I was staying near the airport

The owner told me that if someone had helped me find the apartment, he would have had to pay them a 10% commission on the rent each month for at least the first year, so I'm mindful of that whilst looking. Then there are other factors, like Facebook groups might be targeted to foreigners and so start with higher rents versus finding things on other platforms.

The other factor in my mind is that I did rent a place unfurnished in the Mekong Delta and furniture was actually really cheap (and good quality), so it was advantageous to rent unfurnished and buy everything myself. (It was $100/month less for unfurnished)

I'm wondering if people can help with the best search strategy for finding accommodation in or near Go Vap? Would you recommend trying to find unfurnished? Would you recommend not living in Go Vap but somewhere nearby? (I suspect rentals might be cheaper in Go Vap.)

-@expatvn22

Hi,

Yes you are 100% correct rental sites in English & USD  are aimed at overseas market and owners/brokers know they can ask higher rates, they also normally put in things like ovens, dishwashers, microwaves etc local don't normally ask for (stove & rice cooker)  the normal commission is 1 months rent to the broker paid by the owner for finding a tenant.

Empty is cheaper however you will be left with a heap of gear you will have to move or sell when you go.

Tip:

Find a building you like on English speaking sites and then checkout sites like chotot for the same building to see what the locals pay, same with FB they market specifically to westerners on certain groups.

Go Vap is good priced renting, you can get 1-2 bed for mid 4 to mid 7.

Hi Everyone

-@expatvn22

I've only lived in HCMC once, but some principles appear to be the same countrywide

The best prices can usually be found on the rental websites for Vietnamese people, in Tiếng Việt.

However, some expats might be disappointed with those, since the owners usually haven't made any special upgrades focused on western tastes.

Your options will probably depend in large part on your visa.

Are you returning to work legally?

@OceanBeach92107

Are you returning to work legally?

Yes, I am. Thanks for your advice.

@AndyHCMC

That's sound great! So this would be searching on local websites/foot?

@AndyHCMC

That's sound great! So this would be searching on local websites/foot?
-@expatvn22

PM sent

I sent you a link to look around Go Vap for apartments to see whats available I can send you others if you would like

Try to negotiate in VND only and get the price fixed in VND into your contract.

The agents typically get half the first months rent for a 6 month contract and a full months rent for a 12 month contract as commission. I still think it's a renters market here as there are much less foreigners about these days-although the prices you are seeing about the place right now might make you think otherwise!

@departed00

although the prices you are seeing about the place right now might make you think otherwise!

I agree, the prices are the same as when I left in 2020, maybe higher in some instances.

Thanks for the other tips.

Everyone is a real estate agent (because of the juicy commissions relative to a local wage), so this is why you see the same place advertised on the same platform several times, sometimes with a differing price?

That sounds like a job for  1f514.svg1f514.svg1f514.svgVietnameseSpouse1f483.svg1f57a.svg1f491.svg

I'm looking at an apartment in Go Vap, the apartment is offered by at least 3 different agents from 5.2 to 7m. That's quite a cut the agent at the highest price is taking, given the others are also making money.