Menu
Expat.com

Vietnam Evisa

Last activity 17 January 2023 by OceanBeach92107

Dantès

@Aidan in HCMC

I suggest you the same. Color copy. And I suggest you to ask for the price BEFORE they do the copy. I pay 1000 d for black and white and 5000 d for color. The first time, same place, I paid 10000 d for color...

honem

I just went to the official website to apply for a visa. Clicked on "For outside Vietnam foreigners, click here".

On the next page it says, translated to English,

"Electronic visa declaration is temporarily unavailable".

Anyone have any info why?

Aidan in HCMC
I just went to the official website to apply for a visa. Clicked on "For outside Vietnam foreigners, click here".
-@honem

Confirmed. Thank you for that report. It does state "temporarily unavailable". They might be doing an update/maintenance on the page.

Also unavailable in Vietnamese, "Khai thị thực điện tử tạm thời không có" (Electronic visa declaration is temporarily unavailable).

When you do get through, honem, please post here

narcrepellant2525

@RTLisSB if you do not have printed paper with e-visa approval you gonna pay 5 USD for printed copy to immigration as I did in march 2022 on HCMC airport big_smile.png

narcrepellant2525

What is agent fee for obtaing tourist visa?

narcrepellant2525

@Dantès Some of them like to rip off foreigner...but it's minority. Yesterday I went to street food restaurant and lady working there wanted to charge me 150.000 dongs for meal, I admire her audacity...

OceanBeach92107
-@honem

Confirmed. Thank you for that report. It does state "temporarily unavailable". They might be doing an update/maintenance on the page.
Also unavailable in Vietnamese, "Khai thị thực điện tử tạm thời không có" (Electronic visa declaration is temporarily unavailable).

-@Aidan in HCMC

Just one more reason not to wait until the last minute (last week before travel) to apply for an eVisa.

OceanBeach92107
-@narcrepellant2525

That's totally up to the agent.

The government doesn't encourage using an agent but they also don't keep you from using an agent if you prefer doing that.

I have always recommended that people consider trustworthiness before worrying about price.

it would probably be very easy to find someone willing to do it for next to nothing or maybe even free, charging only for the official fee.

But then you'd also be much more likely to never see anything, with the scammer getting a 100% profit from your

₫600,000+ VNĐ submission fee.

I know that forum member goodolboy

has been successfully using an agent to help him.

Other users may be able to recommend a trustworthy agent via private message if you request that in the forum.

Malcolmleitrim

@narcrepellant2525 I pay $50 for a tourist visa through an agent and have never had a problem.

narcrepellant2525

@Aidan in HCMC The site was also down after in the march 2022 they opened border to tourists, I tried too site which ends with govt.vn (2nd hit on google, scammers) and went back to offical site, which issued me visa in 3 days. Either the legit site has hiccup or regular maintainance.

narcrepellant2525

@OceanBeach92107 It can be stressful, I went to consulate in Budapest, paid visa, they said come next wednesday to pickup your passport, I thought I was almost all set, then they call me on monday and informed that they cannot issue me visa, I already ordered plane tickets, bit panicked but then official e-visa site saved the day. Never make any arrangements before you have your visa...

goodolboy
-@narcrepellant2525

That's totally up to the agent.

The government doesn't encourage using an agent but they also don't keep you from using an agent if you prefer doing that.

I have always recommended that people consider trustworthiness before worrying about price.

it would probably be very easy to find someone willing to do it for next to nothing or maybe even free, charging only for the official fee.

But then you'd also be much more likely to never see anything, with the scammer getting a 100% profit from your
₫600,000+ VNĐ submission fee.

I know that forum member goodolboy
has been successfully using an agent to help him.

Other users may be able to recommend a trustworthy agent via private message if you request that in the forum.
-@OceanBeach92107

Using my well established & trust worthy agent, it cost me 1 mill VND last Monday, 3 days later to the hour got the call my second e visa was ready to be picked up at her office & that was a good excuse to hop on the old Mobylette & drive across town to D2 for the visa then drop in past Unionjacks for a fish supper with mushy peas.

narcrepellant2525

Looks like they are slowly bringing the   offical e-visa back, the site is working now apart from captcha

narcrepellant2525

Lools like the site is up people

OceanBeach92107
Looks like they are slowly bringing the  offical e-visa back, the site is working now apart from captcha
-@narcrepellant2525

Based on an earlier post, the captcha may work with one browser and not another

narcrepellant2525

Does the buses going to Cambodia pick up passengers at Moc Bai border crossing? I am not sure I can get VN  e-visa again, officer handling my case keeps sending me email about incorrect photo, in portrait photo I have hair, while in passport I totally shaved my hair, could this be a issue? I used same pictures already 2x for e-visa and both times visa was granted without issue, suddenly there is problem...

OceanBeach92107
Does the buses going to Cambodia pick up passengers at Moc Bai border crossing? I am not sure I can get VN e-visa again, officer handling my case keeps sending me email about incorrect photo, in portrait photo I have hair, while in passport I totally shaved my hair, could this be a issue? I used same pictures already 2x for e-visa and both times visa was granted without issue, suddenly there is problem...
-@narcrepellant2525

My personal opinion is that you most likely need to pay an agent to intervene on your behalf.

Good luck!

narcrepellant2525

Yes, this is last resort - agent.I googled bit and found interesting info about pictures for VN e-visa application:1. Format and quality of Vietnam e-visa photoSince Vietnam e-visa picture is used to submit online, there are some differences compared to printed photos.  Vietnam e-visa photo size: standard size of passport photo used in e-visa application is 4x6cm (equivalent to 2Ã2 inches).  Vietnam e-visa image format: you can only upload your portrait photo saved in .jpg, .jpeg or .gif files. Pdf and png files are unacceptable.  The file canât be more than 2 MB in weight. If your picture is too heavy to upload, you must compress it by photo management programs.  Only color picture is qualified, so donât take black and white one.  The photo should be identical and taken within the past 06 months.  Filter is not allowed in the Vietnam e-visa passport photo.  Background must be in white color and plain, thereâs no texture or pattern on the background  Although the maximum weight of the file is 2 MB, the photo still needs to be clear enough to see your full face and the upper part of your shoulders. Blurry picture may make your e-visa application rejected.  Lighting is also important when it should be kept even to get rid of shadow on your face. It should not present any flash or glare that affects the photo qualityhttps://vietnamembassy-norway.org/visa-for-vietnam/e-visa/photo-requirements/

Aidan in HCMC
Does the buses going to Cambodia pick up passengers at Moc Bai border crossing? I am not sure I can get VN e-visa again, officer handling my case keeps sending me email about incorrect photo, in portrait photo I have hair, while in passport I totally shaved my hair, could this be a issue? I used same pictures already 2x for e-visa and both times visa was granted without issue, suddenly there is problem...
-@narcrepellant2525

From your passport info page, crop the picture of your face and submit that. This has been done by many people, with success.

And, GAK! You're receiving email responses from VN Immigration?!?! Wow! Congratulations smile.png

narcrepellant2525

No email directly, they just wrote as reason for delay "incorrect" picture big_smile.png. I wrote them, well being aware that they do not reply to email, phone calls, it still holds big_smile.png

Malcolmleitrim

@narcrepellant2525 honestly, it's worth going through an agent, especially if you intend doing this regularly.  You only have to upload your details once then they store them and reuse as necessary.

narcrepellant2525

Yes, I agree.

narcrepellant2525

@Aidan in HCMC My passport picture is bw, on this FAQ about E-visa made by VN embassy in Norway they stated profile picture should be in color, so in my case it will not work, but in other cases it will, Hehe!

pogiwayne
@Aidan in HCMC My passport picture is bw, on this FAQ about E-visa made by VN embassy in Norway they stated profile picture should be in color, so in my case it will not work, but in other cases it will, Hehe!
-@narcrepellant2525

It is VERY inexpensive to get a color passport/visa picture made. No real reason to not have a acceptable picture IMO.

Aidan in HCMC
-@narcrepellant2525

So, narcrepellant2525, now you have to decide whether you'll be shaving your head prior to getting your new pic taken, so as to match more closely your passport picture smile.png

Please keep us updated on your progress

narcrepellant2525

Haha, I got evisa, by uploading new profile picture, obviously you cannot use same picture more than 6 months.

narcrepellant2525
-@narcrepellant2525
It is VERY inexpensive to get a color passport/visa picture made. No real reason to not have a acceptable picture IMO.
-@pogiwayne

Yes, one shop in D1 made 4 pictures for me for 30.000 dong and even  had sent jpg example to my email. Agree!

narcrepellant2525

@Dantès  Hmm I am not sure, if they need visa in color. I forgot to print my evisa in march 2022 and it coat me 5 USD to get printed it was BW and 2nd time I arrived at HCMC airport  I had also BW printout of visa, no objections from border guard. We need to confirm more of this "requirement".

Aidan in HCMC
@Dantès Hmm I am not sure, if they need visa in color. I forgot to print my evisa in march 2022 and it coat me 5 USD to get printed it was BW and 2nd time I arrived at HCMC airport I had also BW printout of visa, no objections from border guard. We need to confirm more of this "requirement".
-@narcrepellant2525

You're right of course, a colour print is not obligatory. That being said, and understanding the nat'l pride felt by many of the locals (especially police and military), going that little extra step/cost of having your eVisa printed in colour sure can't hurt.

Again, colour is not required. The QR code will be B&W either way.

narcrepellant2525

Check if approved evisa is correct, my friend got error in his visa (not his fault)  on border crossing he was charged 200 EUR to enter the country...

narcrepellant2525
@Dantès Hmm I am not sure, if they need visa in color. I forgot to print my evisa in march 2022 and it coat me 5 USD to get printed it was BW and 2nd time I arrived at HCMC airport I had also BW printout of visa, no objections from border guard. We need to confirm more of this "requirement".
-@narcrepellant2525

You're right of course, a colour print is not obligatory. That being said, and understanding the nat'l pride felt by many of the locals (especially police and military), going that little extra step/cost of having your eVisa printed in colour sure can't hurt.

-@Aidan in HCMC

It is on case by case basis, I have seen fellow visa runner (Mr.Bob) showing evisa  on smartphone and it worked, both for Cambodia and Vietnam. Tommorow probably would be different situation, but personally never had problem with BW printout.

Aidan in HCMC

-@Aidan in HCMC

It is on case by case basis, I have seen fellow visa runner (Mr.Bob) showing evisa on smartphone and it worked, both for Cambodia and Vietnam. Tommorow probably would be different situation, but personally never had problem with BW printout.
-@narcrepellant2525

I would advise people to be careful showing up with their eVisa only on a phone.

Considering the ease with which the eVisa can be printed, not doing so might result in unnecessary (and perhaps costly?) complications.

From the eVisa's Faq page (link)

I. General questions

...  5. How can I check my e-Visa result?

...   Provide the required information, including registration code, email and date of birth, to check and print your e-Visa result.

* Note: - Registration code must be saved in order to check and print e-Visa.

lpsedillo

From the "Saigon News" online, dated 09 Jan. 2023.

"The PM asked the Ministry of Public Security to work closely with the Foreign Ministry and concerned agencies to adopt technological advances and reform administrative procedures related to the issuance of e-visas at international border gates and review and submit amendments and supplements to visa policies to competent agencies to create favorable conditions for tourists."

and link:

https://www.sggpnews.org.vn/pms-conclus … 99656.html

OceanBeach92107

"...reform administrative procedures related to the issuance of e-visas at international border gates..."@lpsedillo

I've been (still am) doubting that longer tourist visas are going to be approved anytime soon, but allowing Visa On Arrival without the need for an advance approval makes sense (something similar to what Cambodia requires).

It would probably also be helpful if they can expand the list of countries qualifying for evisas and visa exemptions.

Technically though, if the visa is issued at the border, would it still be an Evisa?

goodolboy
"...reform administrative procedures related to the issuance of e-visas at international border gates..."@lpsedillo
I've been (still am) doubting that longer tourist visas are going to be approved anytime soon, but allowing Visa On Arrival without the need for an advance approval makes sense (something similar to what Cambodia requires).

It would probably also be helpful if they can expand the list of countries qualifying for evisas and visa exemptions.

Technically though, if the visa is issued at the border, would it still be an Evisa?
-@OceanBeach92107

seems to me that some people have short memories.................visa on arrival (at Tan Son Nhat) .....sit & wait for an hour with a hundred other hopefuls at the "visa on arrival place" then after getting your VOA join one of the lines at immigration & depending on how many planes have landed at that time wait for another hour for some disinterested half asleep immigration person slowly processes the passports in his or her queue using some greatly outdated & slow computer system. Give me the e visa any day! Even if they were to extend it to 60days would be a bonus.

but allowing Visa On Arrival without the need for an advance approval makes sense ........so what happens if you get rejected, Saigon Hilton & first plane back to where you came from courtesy of the airline that took you or at the expense of the Vietnam Government?

With all these extra tourists they are trying to attract I think they need to get the first experience of entering Vietnam sorted out (first impressions matter) OK Vietnam is not in the same league but I have recently done quite a bit of international travel & entering & leaving Singapore was a totally stress free, welcoming & pleasant experience, entering & leaving Amsterdam was a totally stress free, welcoming & pleasant experience, even entering & leaving Paris CDG (which on previous experience could be bad) was not that bad. So flying off to BKK in a couple of days (first time in over 2 years) & will be interesting to see how that pans out as it is one of the countries Vietnam is looking to compete with but I suspect again based on previous experience entering & exiting the land of smiles (including the immigration people) will be a pretty welcoming experience too.

AndyHCMC

Sounds promising?

Prime Minister orders reform of online visa application process:

"Malaysia and Singapore have 162 countries under the visa-free list, the Philippines have 157 countries, Thailand has 65, and Việt Nam only has 24 countries on its list.

Whilst most ASEAN countries have a 30 to 45-day visa-free duration, Việt Nam had a 15-day visa-free policy, which is too short compared to other countries in the region and inappropriate for the long duration of international guests, especially in markets such as Europe, which tourists usually holiday for three or four weeks.

To boost international guests to Việt Nam, Hùng recommended an e-visa application for all guest markets and simplifying the application process. Hùng also suggested lengthening the visa-free duration for international guests to 30 days and testing the visa application at border gates."

Taken from Todays news

Malcolmleitrim

@goodolboy I flew into Bangkok in October and while the arrival experience was friendly enough, it was very tedious. I was in the queue for over two hours. I suppose it must depend on the time of day and the number of planes arriving.

Mac68
Sounds promising?
Prime Minister orders reform of online visa application process:
"Malaysia and Singapore have 162 countries under the visa-free list, the Philippines have 157 countries, Thailand has 65, and Việt Nam only has 24 countries on its list.

Whilst most ASEAN countries have a 30 to 45-day visa-free duration, Việt Nam had a 15-day visa-free policy, which is too short compared to other countries in the region and inappropriate for the long duration of international guests, especially in markets such as Europe, which tourists usually holiday for three or four weeks.

To boost international guests to Việt Nam, Hùng recommended an e-visa application for all guest markets and simplifying the application process. Hùng also suggested lengthening the visa-free duration for international guests to 30 days and testing the visa application at border gates."

Taken from Todays news
-@AndyHCMC

Thank you Andy.

MAc

goodolboy
@goodolboy I flew into Bangkok in October and while the arrival experience was friendly enough, it was very tedious. I was in the queue for over two hours. I suppose it must depend on the time of day and the number of planes arriving.
-@Malcolmleitrim

WOW I hope thats not my experience in a couple of days then Malcolm, mind you as you say depends on how many flights come in at same time & hopefully they have more on duty at immigration now that things are in full swing again. Two hours stuck in an immigration line is 2 hours less party time!!

goodolboy

Flew back in to Tan Son Nhat from BKK yesterday afternoon & you know something, after at least 30 minutes waiting in line (& it was not busy) I made it to the immigration ladies box. Handed over my Pass Port & e visa. She did not even take a look at the e visa just pushed it back to me & did what they do on the computer, stamped my Pass Port, wrote the exit date on the stamp & gave me my passport back.

So this beggars the question if they have all the details of your e visa on their computer why are you told to print off & take the e visa with you? Or was it the case she did not give a toss about the e visa & just stamped my Passport & added the 30 days to the stamp?

On a slightly different subject, I noticed for the first time that the visa on arrival office was manned & there were foreigners at the desk filling in forms just like it was open for business as usual. Just an observation though!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles