Menu
Expat.com

Vietnam Evisa

Last activity 17 January 2023 by OceanBeach92107

jgough115

Hello Aiden,

I am having trouble getting the government e visa site to accept payment. Having read the thread I see that some other people have had the same problem. I am considering using an evisa agent but have heard that some of them are scams. Could you or others please recommend legitimate evisa agents for Vietnam.

Thank you and regards,

Jason

OceanBeach92107
Hello Aiden,
I am having trouble getting the government e visa site to accept payment. Having read the thread I see that some other people have had the same problem. I am considering using an evisa agent but have heard that some of them are scams. Could you or others please recommend legitimate evisa agents for Vietnam.
Thank you and regards,
Jason
-@jgough115

We can only do that by private message.

lpsedillo

I was having a problem recently(weekend Oct 22nd) with my e-visa payment, (the government changed their website payment service). I finally just turned off my VPN ,( I am in Saigon now with a local server) and everything worked fine after that.

Aidan in HCMC
I was having a problem recently(weekend Oct 22nd) with my e-visa payment, (the government changed their website payment service). I finally just turned off my VPN ,( I am in Saigon now with a local server) and everything worked fine after that.
-@lpsedillo

And thank you Ipsedillo for reporting back to the forum!

Appreciate that very much, indeed.

Aidan in HCMC
Hello Aiden,
Thank you and regards,
Jason
-@jgough115

Hi jgough115, and welcome to expat.com!

I understand your frustration, and in your wanting to use the services of an agent. Unfortunately I have no references to give you, but hopefully other members will chime in with recommendations.

As the member Ipsedillo has now successfully submitted his payment, I'm wondering whether you will try to pay online again. I'm hoping that the apparent glitch the eVisa system is displaying has been patched.

Whether you eventually manage to pay through the online application process, or whether you opt for the services of a visa agent, we would very much appreciate hearing back from you on which route you took and the steps involved.

If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Lots of friendly folk here at expat.com

Again, welcome to expat.com

Aidan in HCMC
Hello Aiden,
Thank you and regards,
Jason
-@jgough115

Good news being reported now.

S̲e̲e̲ ̲h̲e̲r̲e̲,̲ ̲in p̲o̲s̲t̲ ̲#̲3̲6̲, ̲f̲r̲o̲m̲ ̲F̲f̲o̲r̲e̲s̲t̲F̲a̲c̲h̲!

If you do try to make the online payment again, please take the time to let us know whether you were successful.

Dantès

Hello everyone.

I have a question about the way to ask for new evisa, in term of date.

My last evisa was from 07/10 to 06/11. That makes 31 days if you include the two dates.

My current evisa is from 03/11 (because of visa run date) to 03/12. That makes 31 days again.

Now I'm asking for the next one. When I enter 03/12 for entry day, the computer suggest me 01/01 for expiration date. That makes 30 days. BUT it's possible for me to change this date, I tried. But I didn't finish to register because I have a doubt... I have contacted the person who organize visa run, she told me to change for 02/01. I don't know, because it make 31 days !!

If you try any date by now, it gives 30 days instead of 31.

So the question is : was it wrong before, and it's correct now, or the contrary ?

The other question is : do we have the right to change the expiry date ourselve ? It could create problem no ?

OceanBeach92107
Hello everyone.
My last evisa was from 07/10 to 06/11. That makes 31 days if you include the two dates.
My current evisa is from 03/11 (because of visa run date) to 03/12. That makes 31 days again.
Now I'm asking for the next one. When I enter 03/12 for entry day, the computer suggest me 01/01 for expiration date. That makes 30 days. BUT it's possible for me to change this date, I tried. But I didn't finish to register because I have a doubt... I have contacted the person who organize visa run, she told me to change for 02/01. I don't know, because it make 31 days !!
So the question is : was it wrong before, and it's correct now, or the contrary ?
The other question is : do we have the right to change the expiry date ourselve ? It could create problem no ?
-@Dantès

Since you are here in Hội An now, I'm guessing that Lynn is helping you?

I highly recommend that you follow her advice, even though she's most likely guessing as well.

I (making a somewhat educated guess after having used the online interface to obtain a few eVisas) think the application will be immediately kicked back to you for correction if you enter an unauthorized date.

Aidan in HCMC
Hello everyone.
-@Dantès

Hi Dantes. You sir, are to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the first member to bring this to the forum's attention. Thank you for that!

(apologies to any member who might have posted on this matter previously. I missed it)

Your eVisas, which will expire tomorrow (06/11) and early December (03/12) were always considered to be 30 days, not 31. The two eVisa expiry dates you hold are in fact of 30 days duration. Their expiry dates were the default expiry dates, generated by the VN eVisa application and were based on your stated arrival date, 30 days post arrival. This made logical sense, considering that one day has 24 hours. If you wanted to apply for a 1 day visa, one would logically expect that arriving on, say, a Monday would give you until Tuesday, to legally still be in the country.

Well, I just checked online at t̲h̲e̲ ̲o̲f̲f̲i̲c̲i̲a̲l̲ ̲V̲N̲ ̲w̲e̲b̲ ̲p̲o̲r̲t̲a̲l̲ ̲o̲n̲ ̲i̲m̲m̲i̲g̲r̲a̲t̲i̲o̲n̲ , and lo and behold, the default expiry date is, as you stated, now 29 days.

There has also been some (sloppy) editing done to the e̲V̲i̲s̲a̲'̲s̲ ̲f̲a̲q̲ ̲p̲a̲g̲e̲, though I see no mention of the shortened eVisa validity period. As it stands now, arriving on the 1st of a month gives a default expiry date of the 30th. I count that as 29 days.

Travellers, tourists, and expats must take note and plan accordingly.

To your questions:

Technically speaking, neither is "wrong". As an independent sovereign state, VN immigration can start your 30 day eVisa counting your arrival date as day 1, or start the count (as was previously the case) the next day. It's their call.

As the application now allows you to change the date, I would suggest that, and again technically speaking, yes you have the right.

Have you tried adding the extra day? As previously mentioned in this thread, the system might not accept your amending the exit/expiry date. There's also the chance that the application will be accepted, you pay your $25USD fee, and receive an answer stating "Denied".

Then again, it may indeed accept your date and issue you your new eVisa with the full 30 days.

Please let us know how things get settled.

Thanks again, Dantes. Feedback like yours makes expat.com all the stronger.

OceanBeach92107
As it stands now, arriving on the 1st of a month gives a default expiry date of the 30th. I count that as 29 days.@Aidan in HCMC

That's incorrect counting, and a variation of an argument that's been made about visa expiration dates since long before COVID.

30 valid days including an entry date, in your example, the 1st (valid for 24 hours but not one second earlier than the 1st) and an exit/expiration date, in your example, the 30th (also good for 24 hours but not one second more).

There are always some people (at least as far back as 2018, in my forum experience) who feel that 30 days shouldn't include the day of exit/expiration.

That argument simply never holds up.

As for what's been transpiring prior to now, my July 4th eVisa expired on August 3 (31 days including my entry at SGN airport and my exit date at Mộc Bài).

I used a shorter visa in August (4th to the 28th) and then a visa from August 28th to September 27th (another 31 days) to cover my time in Hà Nội as my TRC was processed.

OceanBeach92107
If you wanted to apply for a 1 day visa, one would logically expect that arriving on, say, a Monday would give you until Tuesday, to legally still be in the country.@Aidan in HCMC

Respectfully intended, that's not logic, it's wishful thinking.

Your example would require a 2 day visa.

A 1-day visa is just that, and actually possible if you apply for entering and exiting on the same day (as with a 1 day transit visa).

Of course, it would be virtually impossible to stay the full 24 hours (enter at the first second of validity and exit at the last second of validity) so a 1 day visa is virtually certain to be useful for less than a full day.

Vietnam (or any other country) is under no obligation to provide an extra day for the purpose of exiting the country.

OceanBeach92107
As an independent sovereign state, VN immigration can start your 30 day eVisa counting your arrival date as day 1,

or start the count (as was previously the case) the next day.

It's their call.-@Aidan in HCMC

That's just plain incorrect.

The day of arrival has always been counted as day 1

Aidan in HCMC

@OceanBeach92107

So, how to account for Dantes' observation?

"My last evisa was from 07/10 to 06/11. That makes 31 days if you include the two dates.

My current evisa is from 03/11 (because of visa run date) to 03/12. That makes 31 days again." In both instances Dantes counted his entry date as day1.

I wrote my friend in Hanoi. His last couple of visas were good for 06/09 to 06/10 (31 days), then 06/10 to 05/11 (31 days), and his current visa is for 05/11 to 05/12 (31 days). When I say 31 days, that includes the entry date as day 1. It was called a thirty day visa.

I have always submitted on his behalf, and these are the default expiration dates issued by the application. If one tries today, including the entry date you will be given a default date of 30 days (again, including the entry date), not 31 days as it was prior.

Either way you look at it, and whatever one chooses to call it, the validity of the "30 day eVisa" default has been reduced by one day.

Try it, and compare it to one of your older eVisas.

Aidan in HCMC

Received a link from a very helpful member. Thank you!

T̲r̲y̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲,̲ ̲a̲n̲y̲ ̲d̲a̲t̲e̲,̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲a̲d̲d̲ ̲3̲0̲ ̲d̲a̲y̲s̲.

OceanBeach92107
Received a link from a very helpful member. Thank you!
T̲r̲y̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲,̲ ̲a̲n̲y̲ ̲d̲a̲t̲e̲,̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲a̲d̲d̲ ̲3̲0̲ ̲d̲a̲y̲s̲.
-@Aidan in HCMC

That's totally irrelevant to the visa regulations of Vietnam.

pogiwayne

@Aidan in HCMC

i can’t understand why this is so hotly debated. If you enter on the 1st of the month and it’s a 30 day month your exit is on the 1st of the next month.

This is how it’s counted. If someone wants to say it’s 31 days then they are getting a bonus day. Its simply how immigration counts the days. My last one was 17/10/2022 to 16/11/2022.

Have some people gotten less days? Yes because they didn’t proof read the application before submitting.

Aidan in HCMC
@Aidan in HCMC
i can’t understand why this is so hotly debated. If you enter on the 1st of the month and it’s a 30 day month your exit is on the 1st of the next month.
This is how it’s counted. If someone wants to say it’s 31 days then they are getting a bonus day. Its simply how immigration counts the days. My last one was 17/10/2022 to 16/11/2022.
Have some people gotten less days? Yes because they didn’t proof read the application before submitting.
-@pogiwayne

Agreed.

I have now revisited the application. I skipped ahead to April, 2023, the next 30 day month (just to make the math easier).

Inputting 01/04/2023 as the entry date, the default expiry is now 30/04/2023. It would have previously, as you stated, been 01/05/2023.

The current default expiry date is entry + 29 days, whereas prior it was entry + 30.

What happens if you change the now changeable default?

Well, I'm not sure, but...

"As previously mentioned in this thread, the system might not accept your amending the exit/expiry date. There's also the chance that the application will be accepted, you pay your $25USD fee, and receive an answer stating "Denied".

Then again, it may indeed accept your date and issue you your new eVisa with the full 30 days"

Mac68
As an independent sovereign state, VN immigration can start your 30 day eVisa counting your arrival date as day 1,

or start the count (as was previously the case) the next day.

It's their call.-@Aidan in HCMC

That's just plain incorrect.

The day of arrival has always been counted as day 1
-@OceanBeach92107

AND, as my Vietnamese wife says, since dealing with Peoples Committees, contractor builder of our home here in VN, water department in our city/province, etc., as much as we are happy living here, ..... She correctly states> "Luật Việt Nam luôn thay đổi, 'gian xảo' .... đôi khi, nhiều lần, ... luật bằng miệng."

"Viet Nam law always changing, 'shifty' .... it is sometimes, many times, ...law by mouth."

MAc

AndyHCMC

The confusion is does the first day and the last day count as one of the days of your visa and does the evisa online software take that into account? as in do you get 30 full days to enjoy Vietnam?

Looking at the page it has 30 days as the period and auto calculates the exit date from the entry date put in.

"Screenshot-2022-11-06-075848.png"

Personal observations and opinions aside the advice to members should be put in your entry date and go off whatever the website gives as an exit date.

No one wants angry members to come on the forum after changing the exit date and missing out on their time frame to get their visa.

The debate although interesting is of no use to anyone moving forward as the website does what it does no matter what is said here.

What it was, who did it before and if it's fair or not is irrelevant to the coding in the website.

Please put a line under it and just advise members to go along with the online form dates.

Andy

Expat Team

Aidan in HCMC

@AndyHCMC

"...p̲u̲t̲ ̲a̲ ̲l̲i̲n̲e̲ ̲u̲n̲d̲e̲r̲ ̲i̲t̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲j̲u̲s̲t̲ ̲a̲d̲v̲i̲s̲e̲ ̲m̲e̲m̲b̲e̲r̲s̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲g̲o̲ ̲a̲l̲o̲n̲g̲ ̲w̲i̲t̲h̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲o̲n̲l̲i̲n̲e̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲m̲ ̲d̲a̲t̲e̲s̲.̲"

Done.

smile.png

Dantès

Hello.

I didn't read everything afther my first post. I'm sorry if it could create problem.

I've done new evisa demand. With the advice of my "Visarun manager", I changed de finishing date by myself, but only 1 more day. If I change for 2 or 3 more days, there is immediately an automatic red message under the line saying something like "it's only possible to have an evisa for 30 days maximum. So afther I change de date with only one more day, there is no message and I could finish my demand. My evisa is "in processing". I would let you know when it will be accepted.

Sorry again. I was studiing this point because, in my case, this day in more change my visa run dates a lot...

Enjoy the day 1f60e.svg

Aidan in HCMC
Hello.
I didn't read everything afther my first post. I'm sorry if it could create problem.
I've done new evisa demand. With the advice of my "Visarun manager", I changed de finishing date by myself, but only 1 more day. If I change for 2 or 3 more days, there is immediately an automatic red message under the line saying something like "it's only possible to have an evisa for 30 days maximum. So afther I change de date with only one more day, there is no message and I could finish my demand. My evisa is "in processing". I would let you know when it will be accepted.
Sorry again. I was studiing this point because, in my case, this day in more change my visa run dates a lot...
Enjoy the day 1f60e.svg
-@Dantès

And a BIG THANK YOU, Dantes, for reporting back that the n̲o̲w̲ ̲c̲h̲a̲n̲g̲e̲a̲b̲l̲e̲ ̲  eVisa expiry date can be moved forward one day from its newly calculated default expiry date.

Yes, please let us know the result once the application has completed processing.

Thank you again, sir!

Dantès

Hello again.

I received my next evisa. No problem. By the way, for my two first evisa I had to check myself on the site if it went ready or not. This time I received an email that told me that my evisa is ready.

Guestposter655

@Dantès Hey! Thanks for the info. I just applied yesterday. Interesting that the FAQ says no email will be sent. I don't mind checking the site since it is pretty simple but my extreme sloth and laziness benefits from them sending me an email. I am only getting the one visa. I have no intention of repeat visits at 30 days each time. How long did the visa take from the time you applied? I'm waiting to book my tickets from Siem Reap to Saigon and then Saigon to Hanoi and back and then back home to Siem Reap until I see the paper.

pogiwayne

@mpmilestogo

currently 3 working days is minimum. Some have taken longer.

Dantès

Yes arround 3 to 4 working days for me, never less. For my last evisa, I applied on saturday morning and I received the visa on thursday afternoon (so let's say 3 and a half working days)

Guestposter655

@Dantès Thanks! Appreciate the info. I am on the third day today. Here is hoping I got the name right :-).

OceanBeach92107
@Dantès Thanks! Appreciate the info. I am on the third day today. Here is hoping I got the name right :-).
-@mpmilestogo

Today is Monday.

Are you saying you applied last Thursday?

Guestposter655

@OceanBeach92107 Yep. I applied last Thursday early morning time. I think today is the third business day if you count the day I started the evisa application. I can wait but the price of airline tickets keep edging up because of holidays in Vietnam at the end of my trip and it is over the Christmas and NY holidays as well. Maybe I am impatient :-). My Vietnamese friends ask me almost daily if I have received the visa. I sure hope it comes today or tomorrow but no matter what I am not buying airline tickets until I see the goods. Or not. If not, I will not be going and will substitute Malaysia for awhile.

OceanBeach92107
@OceanBeach92107 Yep. I applied last Thursday early morning time. I think today is the third business day if you count the day I started the evisa application. I can wait but the price of airline tickets keep edging up because of holidays in Vietnam at the end of my trip and it is over the Christmas and NY holidays as well. Maybe I am impatient :-). My Vietnamese friends ask me almost daily if I have received the visa. I sure hope it comes today or tomorrow but no matter what I am not buying airline tickets until I see the goods. Or not. If not, I will not be going and will substitute Malaysia for awhile.
-@mpmilestogo

Based on my 3x experience, I'd be surprised if you don't have it by tomorrow.

Meanwhile, don't hesitate to check on the website as often as you want, since the email notifications don't always get issued immediately on approval:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/tra-cuu-ho-so

Good luck!

RTLisSB

On a visa related note, I noticed that we are directed to print off a copy of our visa when approved. I actually don't have a printer with me in VN. Does anyone know if Immigration will accept the visa, with QR code, on my phone?

Roger

Guestposter655

@RTLisSB Hey Roger! I don't know the answer about whether they will accept it on the phone. I can tell you what I did before. I took the file to a print shop and they gave me either a WhatsApp ID or an email address to send it to and then they printed the physical copy.  This time I will ask my airbnb host to help print the document since I don't want to trust showing the visa on my iPhone when I think they want it printed out physically. Can you ask a landlord or airbnb host to help? Been my experience they will.

Aidan in HCMC
On a visa related note, I noticed that we are directed to print off a copy of our visa when approved. I actually don't have a printer with me in VN. Does anyone know if Immigration will accept the visa, with QR code, on my phone?
Roger
-@RTLisSB

You will need a physical copy. Take your USB stick to any print shop and have them print it.

I suggest you go "colour"

OceanBeach92107
Roger
-@RTLisSB

On my Android phone, using the Chrome browser, I was able to:

1. Click "share"

2. Click "print"

3. Click "select printer"

4. Choose "save as PDF"

Most copy shops I've encountered around the country have an email address for sending them attachments for printing.

Search your nearby area on Google maps. Sometimes that email address is on the storefront sign.

Otherwise, when you walk into a copy shop, just tell them you want to print a pdf file and ask them for the email address.

As long as you have data or a wifi connection on your smartphone, you should be able to take care of it in that moment.

Good luck!

honem

@OceanBeach92107

I suggest getting two copies.

Sometimes the arrival immigration officer will retain a copy and it is sometimes asked for at departure.

Aidan in HCMC
Roger
-@RTLisSB

You will need a physical copy. Take your USB stick to any print shop and have them print it.
I suggest you go "colour"
-@Aidan in HCMC

All the "print shops" will have a sign out front.

PHOTOCOPY, or

PHO

TO

CO

PY

smile.png

pogiwayne
Roger
-@RTLisSB

some have been refused when trying to enter with visa on phone only. You can get it printed in Vietnam. All hotels have printers…

Guestposter655

@OceanBeach92107 Yay! I just got the notification that my visa was approved. I guess they want to let me back in yet again :-). Thanks to everyone everywhere for helping us all understand about names, dates, times, and other interesting tidbits of the evisa system. Now I can let people know in Hanoi we will be meeting at the Bia hoi by truc Bach lake. Life is good!

RTLisSB

@mpmilestogo Great idea.  I'll ask my host.

Cheers,

Roger

OceanBeach92107
@OceanBeach92107 Yay! I just got the notification that my visa was approved. I guess they want to let me back in yet again :-). Thanks to everyone everywhere for helping us all understand about names, dates, times, and other interesting tidbits of the evisa system. Now I can let people know in Hanoi we will be meeting at the Bia hoi by truc Bach lake. Life is good!
-@mpmilestogo

That's great news!

Please consider creating some new threads on the Hanoi Forum:

expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=220

We don't get a lot of traffic there, and maybe a few new threads including the word 'Hanoi' in the title might generate new interest.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles