Menu
Expat.com

Moroccan romance scam or love story?

Last activity 17 October 2024 by Ambreh

Popolushka

@Vladilena it is not your fault. And do not feel guilty. He was just c.....t. excuse my French.

javava88

@Popolushka I met this guy personally during my travel to Morocco. So it is not an internet love story. That is the reason why I was not so cautious about his some strange behavior at first because I believed what I saw. He told me he is looking for true love which made me a so good impression on him. He made you believe at first that he was so pure, a little bit naive, conservative, traditional, devot, caring and passionate.

Yes I totally agree with you. I believe in karma as well. The scammers will be punished sooner or later✌️

Vladilena

@javava88 thank you very much for your support

Maria Valladarez

@javava88 inbox me

Nana Tee

@KKJjJ Absolutely agree with you. My moroccan scammer told me so many things before I came that were an absolute lie. He stayed with me 5 years. Once he got passport he filed for divorce . They will stay for a long time, expect you to pay for yourself and half of every shared expense. This is what I have found.  I was stupid enough to go through with it even with all the inconsistencies. Trust your gut. I did not!!

javava88

@Nana Tee Wow he catfished you for five years! It is quite long! One should be really cautious about the financial issues. If he married a Moroccan woman,  he is supposed to be the provider. He has to pay everything. I know another foreign woman who is also scammed by a Moroccan guy. The moroccan guy has made her sell her home in her country to follow him in Morocco. But once she stopped to support him financially, he left her and cursed her.

LolaRoss
I am normally a confident and intelligent woman. But I am not so sure now with my moroccan love story. I need your adivces.
I have met this moroccan guy on the ship to Tangier in November. He is 34 and 18 years younger than me. We exchanged our whatsapp on the ship. He sent me messages on the second day and told me he liked me. We met three days later in Casablanca and spent two days together. Since then he told me he loved me everyday. He wanted to marry me and stay with me forever. He does not want child. All are red flags. I told him that I can not marry him in so short time. But I would like to help him to find a job in Germany. He does not ask me for money. But I paid everything when we were in Casablanca.
I have fallen in love with him. He knows how to speak sweet words to me. I am not sure whether I am blind in front of love. How can I know whether he is a romance scammer or he really loves me?
Thank you for reading and every advices in advance.
-@javava88

Here are some things to consider as you navigate this situation:

Take it slow: While it's tempting to dive headfirst into a whirlwind romance, it's important to take a step back and evaluate the situation. Don't make any rash decisions or commitments until you've had time to get to know this person better and assess whether their intentions are genuine.

Be wary of red flags: It's good that you're already aware of some potential warning signs, such as his insistence on marriage and his disinterest in having children. It's also worth noting that asking for money isn't the only way that scammers operate. They may also try to isolate you from friends and family, refuse to provide personal information, or be evasive about their past or present circumstances.

Do your research: If you're considering helping him find a job in Germany, make sure that you have a clear understanding of what that would entail and what the potential risks and rewards are. It's also a good idea to do some background research on him, such as looking up his social media profiles or asking mutual acquaintances about him.

Listen to your intuition: Ultimately, your gut feelings and instincts are some of your best resources when it comes to evaluating a potential partner or relationship. If something doesn't feel quite right or you have a nagging sense of doubt or unease, take that seriously and don't dismiss it.

Seek advice and support: It can be helpful to talk to trusted friends or family members about your situation and get their perspective. You might also consider seeking the guidance of a professional counselor or therapist who can help you navigate this complex and emotionally charged situation.

javava88
I am normally a confident and intelligent woman. But I am not so sure now with my moroccan love story. I need your adivces.
I have met this moroccan guy on the ship to Tangier in November. He is 34 and 18 years younger than me. We exchanged our whatsapp on the ship. He sent me messages on the second day and told me he liked me. We met three days later in Casablanca and spent two days together. Since then he told me he loved me everyday. He wanted to marry me and stay with me forever. He does not want child. All are red flags. I told him that I can not marry him in so short time. But I would like to help him to find a job in Germany. He does not ask me for money. But I paid everything when we were in Casablanca.
I have fallen in love with him. He knows how to speak sweet words to [link under review]. I am not sure whether I am blind in front of love. How can I know whether he is a romance scammer or he really loves me?
Thank you for reading and every advices in advance.
-@javava88
Here are some things to consider as you navigate this situation:

Take it slow: While it's tempting to dive headfirst into a whirlwind romance, it's important to take a step back and evaluate the situation. Don't make any rash decisions or commitments until you've had time to get to know this person better and assess whether their intentions are genuine.

Be wary of red flags: It's good that you're already aware of some potential warning signs, such as his insistence on marriage and his disinterest in having children. It's also worth noting that asking for money isn't the only way that scammers operate. They may also try to isolate you from friends and family, refuse to provide personal information, or be evasive about their past or present circumstances.

Do your research: If you're considering helping him find a job in Germany, make sure that you have a clear understanding of what that would entail and what the potential risks and rewards are. It's also a good idea to do some background research on him, such as looking up his social media profiles or asking mutual acquaintances about him.

Listen to your intuition: Ultimately, your gut feelings and instincts are some of your best resources when it comes to evaluating a potential partner or relationship. If something doesn't feel quite right or you have a nagging sense of doubt or unease, take that seriously and don't dismiss it.

Seek advice and support: It can be helpful to talk to trusted friends or family members about your situation and get their perspective. You might also consider seeking the guidance of a professional counselor or therapist who can help you navigate this complex and emotionally charged situation.
-@LolaRoss

Thank you dear Lola, for your precious advices. No word of you is a waste. Have you ever been scammed by a Moroccan guy too?

Fortunately I followed the advices of many women and have taken my time and have not rushed to an engagement. As I can see today my BF is obviously scamming me through claiming his love to me after first meeting and pushing me to marry him only after two months. He left me now because I refused to marry him so soon. As I understand now when there is no marriage there is no love from his side. 

Yes I have the feeling that my BF is reluctant to share his past and present with me. He does not show his interest in our future together. He does not show his interest in my life as well. He never asks me with whom I am. He is not jealous at all. What he is interested is when I can start the procedure to marry him. He is also reluctant to share his social media account with me. He kept his relationship status as Single even after he claimed he loves me and wants to marry me for ever.

Yes I totally agree with you. I would definitely do a background research before marriage. Fortunately I have seen his true color before I made my decision to marry him.

Have you had the impression that many scammers are groomed and networked to scam others?

I am so surprised how skillful my BF is in being a con artist:

He claimed his love to Allah even tough he drinks and smokes a lot when he is not in Morocco;

He claimed he is virgin which I very doubt;

He claimed he is looking for true love and lovebombed me later which made me emotionally attaching to him even today.

He repeated how poor he is and how sick his parent are in order to make me support him financially.

Popolushka

@javava88 you are better off leaving him. Do not start relationship when you are feeling lonely. This is not love, this is attachment. Too very different feelings and state of mind. You can not change him but you can change how you approach this situation you are in. There is no other solution I am afraid. Relationships are not about age. Trust me I know many women in late 40s or early fifties who look much better than many young women with fake eyelashes, botox lips,  done boobjob. I am sorry for Moroccan men going for young girls, this Tik Tok messed up generation with fake IG profile.

javava88

We have broken up. Sarcastically he initiated the separation after he knew I am not going to marry him very soon😂

Yes the loneliness makes me attached to him emotionally. But I will recover from this love illusion. I just like to share my story and thought in oder to give other women some insight in romance scammers.

Popolushka

@javava88 yes recovering is very long process and not always comfortable. But good luck with it. I been there, I done that but I have changed and practicing self-love on daily basis

javava88

Thank you dear! We will find someone who deserves our love one day✌️Good luck to you too 🤞

badbunnie

would a scammer give you their personal info- passport, id, and banking info? We've met in person and talk/facetime everyday. Met him 9 months ago on vacation. I got the banking info to wire money as reimbursement for something i requested

ancillamcpherson

I met a 31 year old morrocon man on a forum. He reached out and seemed really nice. Said he worked as a police officer.

Video calls and daily contact. Never asked me for anything.  Said he was falling inlove with me. Made plans for me to visit him.

Suddenly the visit had to be postponed because he had a training course. When I asked a serious question he accused ne of doubting him.

He seemed genuinely interested and real, Said all the right things.

My concern was that I could never call him. Last week I got a vote saying he was really unwell, and would video call the next day.

Then nothing. He has read some of my messeges but no reply. He has not been online but I'm not blocked. Part of me is worried that he is seriously ill.

The other part says he got cold feet

The other part says it was all lies, and I feel such a fool for believing him.

Do I block him and move inn or give him the benefit of doubt.

I have fallen gor him. I feel sick to my stomach

aishahm

He's most likely married or just as a typical moroccan man doesn't want to be questioned and has very old fashioned / cultural views of how a woman should be which is very different to a western woman or other cultures.

If he's sick, he can still reply especially since he saw your messages.

To leave someone on read, that's a red flag!

Bhavna

hello everyone,

Please note that posts 95 and 96 have been added to this present thread on the Morocco forum.

Regards

Bhavna

javava88

@ancillamcpherson Had he lovebombed you at the early stage?

If he accused you instead of comforting you with a satisfied answer when you are concerned, it could be a red flag 🚩

If he chatted with you everyday and suddenly stopped, it could be a gastlighting behavior. Then it could be a red flag 🚩

Trust your gut and don‘t jump into any decision very quickly. Take your time to know him. Try to meet him personally and live with him for some time then you could see his true color.

wish you good luck 🤞

javava88

@badbunnie Just for your info: I have all of them from my ex: passport copy, ID, bank account. Why did he want money from you?

ancillamcpherson

@javava88

Good morning,  I have come to the realisation that he was a fake. He has simply disappeared. Our last conversation 8 days ago was him accessing me of doubt.

So it is what it is. I also started talking to another man before him but I put all my energy into him. Subsequently the other person I was talking to is the complete opposite.

The transparency from the other person is something I have never experienced. In a space of a few weeks I know more about Cassablanca, the life. His life and family, and job and character. I have even been introduced to his mom on video call. He has not asked me anything about a visa or coming to the UK. He is very well travelled and have even travelled to my country of origin south africa.

I feel very respected and considered with this new man, and getting to know each other correctly is paramount to us both.

So watch this space.

Thank you for your reply and any advice is highly appreciated.

ancillamcpherson

@javava88

Thank you so much. He has turned out to have been a fake.

florinsandu1983

Hi, I can also confirm that Moroccans have a school in the art of deceiving and charming a woman. In a concrete case, a guy Ayoub O. from Tangier grabs a woman from Meef, promises her love and devotion, he being 24 years old and she is 44, married with two 10-year-old children. He overwhelms her with all his lies and manages to convince her to send money to his account 5 times. Of course, it was a scam taking advantage of the woman's naivety. So be careful, happy by them especially on social networks, their only goal is to get money, gifts and entertainment, possibly to get a Visa for Europe to escape from their poor country.

Els97

@javava88 . this doesnt sound good. who says after 2 days that they love you? and they do have girlfriends in Morocco. Many many almost all men there have girlfriends. They hide them usualy from their families. they only introduce a woman to their family when they want to marry her. And if he is 34 then why is he not married yet? and why does we want you when you are so much older? this stry of you has soooo many red flags. ive been a lot in morocco between the locals and what ive seen a lot is men hunting to get married to western women so they can get out of morocco. and ive not seen it a little bit. ive seen it a lot. they lie, cheat, take all her money. very fast after meetng they say they love them and will never leave them and want to get married. i'll give you some expamples 1 man married a woman from russia, she gave him a 4 x 4 and a camp and after he got everything from here he divorced her and she lost everything. anoher man said to a french woman we loved her, but he didnt told her he was married and has 2 children, after 2 years he told her. another man said a woman he loved he rnad that he had troubles with the gendamerie and need  some money, she gave it and after he through her out of the house. another guy told every week a different woman how much he liked her and wanted a serious relationship with her. another one got a relationship with a beuatifull woman and they have a child together, but he screws around with many women. another one told a woman he was divorced but he wasnt. another one had a girlfried, but also 3 more other girlfriends. those girlfriends didnt know about the existence from the other girlfriends. most of them are hunting for western women for marriage or money or to start a project with together. its work to them. oits like a trophy hunt. trust me ive seen it all the time. rarely its about love. if you felt i was good and that you can trust him then you would not be asking questions here.

very very rarely it is real and about love.

Els97

@Popolushka. thats just bull shit. what he means is; most of them like the money from the western women. most of these men want a moroccon woman, because of their families. they want their wives to live with their families. thats the culture. what you just told here is what they always say. and its a manipulation tactic

Peter Scofield

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Advertising/scam
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Heart Collector

I have read and seen numerous cases where foreigners, of either gender, have been betrayed and cheated in relationships. It's disheartening to witness situations where the sole purpose behind building these connections appears to be financial gain or acquiring citizenship, with no genuine emotional investment or love involved.

Heart Collector

@LolaRoss That is a long process and even after that if you end up in ----- what is the use. I have a better idea just find your partner where you live

Heart Collector

Such instances serve as a stark reminder of the importance of caution and careful consideration when entering into relationships with individuals from different backgrounds or cultures.

Heart Collector

@florinsandu1983 I love this phrase ``school in the art of deceiving and charming``but I will add that it applies on both the genders (trust me on this)

Popolushka

@Els97 not everyone. You can not speak for everyone. It is not a bullshit. Moroccan women go after money mostly and moroccan men know it. I know many girls in happy relationship with moroccan men who put their wife first.

Aliya55

@Nana TeeMy "husband" forced me to marry him by travelling to my home abroad while I was looking after my parent in another country...he turned up when I returned for a few.weeks and made me feel sorry for him that it was difficult...he has since received residency and visa in 2.countries and conned/forced me too give him almost 100k while living rent free for 4 years. Because I was abused by my family in front of him he took advantage.Now he tries to control me and I have basically decided enough is enough. I will file for divorce as soon as I can. he has spent all earnings on his family and fancy clothes and a house back home but he has never paid a bill or rent. I hate him and cannot believe I allowed myself into this situation. However depression and bereavement and family abuse led.me to this plus my stubbornness thinking I was helping him for our future. He also uses religion alot to defend himself, but the basics of providing for "wife* is.not there which is mandatory in Islam. Moroccaans looking for papers will do anything and lie about everything. They sadly cannot be trusted and WILL Twist things to make you look like your at fault. Basically if he ain't paying the bills and providing he has no rights to anything. I pray god finds me a way to get rid of this low life character out of my life ASAP

Ik2211

@javava88 a Moroccan man has been messaging and calling me nonstop. I found out he's married and then he started talking about threesomes and I was done.  He was fast and romantic but it's a scam ..

Ik2211

@aishahm. I had similar issues recently with a Moroccan man

Zarn786

@javava88

I can tell u all about it,email me i explain

javava88

@Zarn786 You‘d better share your story here so that you can help other potential victims.

javava88

@Ik2211 I am glad that you discovered his cheating, sister. I hope you have not lost a lot financially or emotionally.

Tez Cupit

@aishahm spot on

SalehUS

@Nana Tee sorry for hearing this. I got married to a Moroccan woman. I made 5-6 trips to Morroco. I still don't understand why she hide the marriage. Even after I married her, she still hide it.

I'm not sure if it is for the sake of protection and jealousy in the society or not.

muzzichuzzi

@SalehUS

my bro probably you are being taken advantage of and she’s probably having a ride of her life. Marriage is something that you do announce not to keep it hidden or quiet on that.

Think again!

Ambreh

Why do Moroccan women hides their marriage to foreign men?

Ambreh

I am asking this question because I saw it in another forum. Is it a normal practices for Moroccan to hide their marriage to foreign citizens? Some have sited evil eyes or black magic, how true are these allegations or foreigners are simply getting used for travel opportunities?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Morocco

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech

Marrakech comprises five leading neighborhoods, namely Medina, Mellah, Gueliz, Hivernage and Chrifia. Each of them ...

• Getting married in Morocco
    Getting married in Morocco

If you want to get married in Morocco, there are different steps and a variety of procedures to follow. These can ...

• Casablanca neighbourhoods
    Casablanca neighbourhoods

Stretching over 220 km², Casablanca is more than twice the size of Paris. Like all historical cities and ...

• Opening a bank account in Morocco
    Opening a bank account in Morocco

Opening a bank account in Morocco is relatively easy. The language barrier could be an obstacle if you do not ...

• Making phone calls in Morocco
    Making phone calls in Morocco

During your stay in Morocco, you will certainly wish to keep in touch with friends and family. To do so, you can ...

• Getting around Marrakech
    Getting around Marrakech

In Marrakech, there are many means of traveling inside the city and outside, whether for work or leisure. Each of ...

• Getting around Casablanca
    Getting around Casablanca

Moving around in Casablanca is a day-to-day challenge. However, the city has a fairly developed ...

• Driving in Morocco
    Driving in Morocco

You can drive with an international driver's license in Morocco for a period of one year as from your date of ...

All of Morocco's guide articles