Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Last activity 19 December 2023 by Shorty1964

Yabba

@Julien

Hello

I am planning to do business in Thailand.

Please I would like to know Thailand better.

Anyone to walk me through?

scbrock
@scbrock thanks for you help. We are staying in Cha Am now. Are time is very flexible, we can wait till off season. We are retired, lots of time. Just staying in Thailand this year. But next year we will be doing some long haul traveling. I asked about Phuket because we have friends that live there, and they are always asking us to visit them. I drive so I could rent a car to get around. Last time we were there we stay in Kamala beach which was nice but difficult to get around even if you had a car. And the place was so small maybe only 26 metre but had a little view of the water. Patrick
-@thailand4me

You have stayed in Kamala so you have an idea about most of the areas

of the island. It's pretty typical of getting around with small soi etc.

You might consider Khao Lak area if you want fewer crowds. It's about

90 minutes north of Phuket by car and has some really beautiful resorts

at a reasonable price. I understand you have friends in Phuket you want to

see but just a suggestion. The Santhiya is amazing or The Sands is nice too

in Khao Lak. I agree 26 m is pretty small

scbrock
Hi I am Martin. I live in Phuket since 16 years.
I am married with my Thai wife for 18 years and father of two children. A girl 13 years and a boy 11 years.
We like to do all sort of out door activities such as diving, snorkeling, hiking, boating, etc.
We live in the north of Phuket and find it quite hard to find similar families with similar interest.
-@adventure-family02

Hello Martin

Since you have lived here 16 years would you be kind enough

to recommend an ex-pat lawyer if you know of one?

thailand4me

@Yabba  I don’t know when exactly we will get to Phuket, we just signed a year lease in Cha Am.  But it will probably be at the end of the year.

thailand4me

@scbrock  Thanks Again for the suggestion, we are flexible. The wife & I can go there on are own. Patrick

scbrock
@scbrock Thanks Again for the suggestion, we are flexible. The wife & I can go there on are own. Patrick
-@thailand4me

Flexibility can be beneficial. Another benefit from staying in the Khao Lok area is it is close to

some piers that can get you to Similan Island and some other isles in that area. I went to

Similan Island through Fantastic travel and they really did an excellent job. I was the only

white guy on the trip Lol not that it matters they had English speaking guides. For me the

highlight is the snorkeling not sure if that is something you do. But some go just for the trip

and beautiful islands. It's about 2 hours by speedboat and we visited 3 or 4 islands.

thailand4me

@scbrock sounds Great, am up for snorkeling.  Especially nice in clear waters. Thanks Again.  Patrick

adventure-family02

@thailand4me hi,

first of all I am not in the tourism business so I can give only random advice about such kind of question.

Less tourist activity is on the east side and north side. Maikhao beach is quiet and is north of airport.

Some areas of bang tao beach at the west side are also quiet. In the very south eg. cape panwa seems also not to busy.

Hope that help

adventure-family02

@Yabba Thai-visa forum and google search will give you most of information.

adventure-family02

Hello Martin
Since you have lived here 16 years would you be kind enough
to recommend an ex-pat lawyer if you know of one?
-@scbrock

Very difficult as lawyer most pretent that they are good and charge you accordingly.

Farrang cant be lawyer in Thailand so only locals can do the job.

I stayed out of trouble all those years and any advice when it smells like trouble came from my accounting service.

I know that does not help you but thats the way it is.

scbrock
-@scbrock
Very difficult as lawyer most pretent that they are good and charge you accordingly.
Farrang cant be lawyer in Thailand so only locals can do the job.
I stayed out of trouble all those years and any advice when it smells like trouble came from my accounting service.
I know that does not help you but thats the way it is.
-@adventure-family02

Thanks for your input. Everyone has been telling me to get an ex-pat lawyer and you

say it's not legal for them here. That must be why they have been so difficult to find.

Thanks again

scbrock
@thailand4me hi,
first of all I am not in the tourism business so I can give only random advice about such kind of question.
Less tourist activity is on the east side and north side. Maikhao beach is quiet and is north of airport.
Some areas of bang tao beach at the west side are also quiet. In the very south eg. cape panwa seems also not to busy.
Hope that help
-@adventure-family02

I think that is all pretty accurate although not sure of when you say the west side of Bangtao

Beach because it is North to south.

jkandsk2

@Julien Hello, my name is John. My Wife, Shana and I have been traveling to Mexico for the past 18 winters. We plan on traveling to Phuket and Pattaya  for 3 months this coming January (2024). Can anyone advise me on the visa that is required and the easiest way to proceed? Would prefer a 90-day visa if it's available.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

thailand4me

@adventure-family02 yes it helps.

JayEsCee

Kamala Beach is the home of Thailand Rob. Maybe you can check out his Youtube videos on the area or even contact him.

JayEsCee

There are many videos posted about Kamala Beach from a Youtuber who lives there. You should look him up.https://www.youtube.com/@ThailandRob

JayEsCee

@thailand4me

Kamala Beach is the home of Thailand Rob. Maybe you can check out his Youtube videos on the area or even contact him.

marlinsummers13

@Julien , hi Julien my name is Marlin and I’m hoping to move to Chang Mai around 20 May from San Diego. This will be my first time in Thailand.

Cheryl

Hello marlinsummers13,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

I invite you to start by reading the Living in Thailand guide for expats. In this guide, you will find information about relocating and living in Thailand.

Also, feel free to start a new thread on the Thailand forum to ask your questions if you want to discuss any topic.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

roiseau

Hi, my name is Robin. Greetings from California!

I'm a US expat thinking of moving to Bangkok, but I'm having trouble securing a job that will sponsor employment for a non-Thai, English-speaking expat.

I have a dual background in luxury (sales, marketing, brand management) and tech (product marketing, product management) -- both of which seem to be heavily guarded industries in Bangkok.

Does anyone have advice on where to look or whom to contact? Thank you!

jeanna63

@Julien

Hi Julien and all,

My name is Jeanna and I am moving to Thailand in October. I currently live in London, though Irish, and will be in Bangkok for 6 months initially to learn the language and familiarise myself with Thailand. I intend to spend time in Chiang Mai and Koh Samui as I need to make the decision as to which location I prefer to settle after my time in Bangkok.

I am retiring this summer from a career in medicine and clinical genetics but now looking forward to spending more time on my other passions such as cooking, animals, photography, sea activities, cultural events, travelling and just chilling with a book, listening to music or enjoying interesting company.

I am looking forward to this stage of my life and hope very much to hear from people who wish to say hello.

Bhavna

Hello Jeanna, welcome on board !

Congratulations on your move! Wishing you a smooth and stress-free transition to Bangkok.

Should you want to interact with members, feel free to catch up with them on the Bangkok forum.

Best wishes,

Bhavna

jcvalero06

Hello,

I introduce myself ..... I'm married with Yui, my wife is Thai, my wife live 6 months in Cha Am and six month in Nice / France, i live 10 months in Nice and 2 months in Cha Am... in 2 years i will do like my wife, half in Cha Am half in Nice smile.png

I'm Jc (jean-claude) i opened with my wife the JC BAR & KARAOKE in Cha Am 2 months ago, i like Cha Am and i want to live here, if you are in Cha Am come to speak with me! see u soon

JC

PatrickInSGP

Hi there

Patrick here. French and living in Singapore. I will be posting shortly about property purchase in Bangkok.

Cameron Youngblood

Hello 👋🏽 all,

I am Cameron, I recently relocated to Bangkok to accept a Science teaching position at the Saint Joseph’s Convent School. I am born in U.S. and raised in Philadelphia, city of Brotherly Love- even though I have not been in the States in quite sometime now. In addition to looking for new friends, professionally I offer the following services:

Have a great day everyone!!!

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please don't promote your services on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
kunalkaradia

Hello, my name is Kunal, 29, from London. I am currently in Patong, Phuket (probably the worst place in Phuket due to its crazy and sleazy nightlife, should have really researched that before booking the Airbnb lol).

I am interested in exploring opportunities to live and work / setup my business in Phuket. I would love to meet and network with expats who are in the same position or have already done this, feel free to ping me:

LINE ID: kunalkaradia

1f600.svg

DanielGER82

Hey Guys,

Nice to meet you all around here.

I'm Daniel from Germany. I'm currently in Thailand and look for a new opportunity to work as a chef abroad.

I left Thailand 2020 in the rush of COVID and want to live here.

Bigrad Wolf

Welcome to all new members!

sajjshiningstar

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all fine.

I am Sajjad Khan from Peshawar, Pakistan.

I am open to work and have experience in teaching English as well as experience in administration and business consulting!

If any of you have the opportunity or have leads that can be helpful, please get in touch.

Warm regards

ronstaff

@profes

Brian I am from the USA and thinking of moving to Thailand longer term...say a minimum of 1 year. What kind of Visa do you have? I am retired and considering a 1 year 0-A Visa for retirees? I am concerned about the banking minimums and the health insurance. Can you give me some direction on these? Can I get the visa when I am there? I have been there for 5 months previously and left every 45 days or less. I have a girlfriend but I have considered marriage. How does the marriage change things? Do you have to make that person a joint bank account holder. What did you do with your mail from Canada? I have placed almost everything I have in paperless mode but there are still some items that continue to come to my mailbox. It appears I cannot stop everything I receive. How was it buying land and a home? How often do you have to check in with the authorities? How easy is that process? I don't speak Thai but my GF does of course. I am not sure she doesn't seem as familiar with the process of moving there from the USA. You would think she has an incentive to learn though?

Any information you can give me to make this process easier I would appreciate it.

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board !

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Please note that the New Members thread is only meant for the introduction of members. If you are looking for information, you are most welcome to open your own topic on the Thailand forum.

@Ronstaff, this member has not logged in since long. I am not sure he will be notified of your question. It is better that you contact him through private message by clicking on his username > send a message.

All the best

Bhavna

Leeds forever!
@profes
Brian I am from the USA and thinking of moving to Thailand longer term...say a minimum of 1 year. What kind of Visa do you have? I am retired and considering a 1 year 0-A Visa for retirees? I am concerned about the banking minimums and the health insurance. Can you give me some direction on these? Can I get the visa when I am there? I have been there for 5 months previously and left every 45 days or less. I have a girlfriend but I have considered marriage. How does the marriage change things? Do you have to make that person a joint bank account holder. What did you do with your mail from Canada? I have placed almost everything I have in paperless mode but there are still some items that continue to come to my mailbox. It appears I cannot stop everything I receive. How was it buying land and a home? How often do you have to check in with the authorities? How easy is that process? I don't speak Thai but my GF does of course. I am not sure she doesn't seem as familiar with the process of moving there from the USA. You would think she has an incentive to learn though?

Any information you can give me to make this process easier I would appreciate it.
-@ronstaff

There are answers to every question here at expat.com. Just check out earlier topics in every category. That's much easier than waiting for answers especially when you're asking about every  aspect in moving to Thailand as a rookie. Forget about any info at all from your gf. Why would she know anything about the process of moving to Thailand and the stuff that's required? About buying land and a property. Foreigners aren't by law allowed to buy land and even a property can't be in your name. So, don't make the biggest rookie mistake ever in Thailand,buying land or property in your "gf's" name. You can rent a condo or a house long term in your name which in my opinion is way smarter and safer.

Bigrad Wolf

Guys, first time in The Land of Smiles but something else was smiling today that greeted me when I opened my hotel door.  It's a 1 foot of this:

CfQQvFY.jpg

scbrock

It looks like it's molting. You'll see a lot of different animals

in the lizard family

Leeds forever!
Guys, first time in The Land of Smiles but something else was smiling today that greeted me when I opened my hotel door. It's a 1 foot of this:
CfQQvFY.jpg
-@Bigrad Wolf

It's a gecko. There are many of those in Thailand.

Bigrad Wolf

It's very slow though so I was thinking just a baby but how did it get in my hotel room, I don't have an idea.   Was it there already the past week hatching?  If so is there a bigger lizard lurking in my room like papa and mama lizards that are 2 to 3 feet?   big_smile.png

scbrock

It got inside your room? I can understand getting inside the

hotel from many open windows and such. Kind of big to

get in thru a vent. I think they are mostly harmless and

eat bugs and things so they are good to have around.

Just don't want to wake up next to one smiling at me

😁

Leeds forever!
It's very slow though so I was thinking just a baby but how did it get in my hotel room, I don't have an idea.  Was it there already the past week hatching? If so is there a bigger lizard lurking in my room like papa and mama lizards that are 2 to 3 feet?  big_smile.png
-@Bigrad Wolf

Geckos normally don't get bigger than about 25".

Leeds forever!
It's very slow though so I was thinking just a baby but how did it get in my hotel room, I don't have an idea. Was it there already the past week hatching? If so is there a bigger lizard lurking in my room like papa and mama lizards that are 2 to 3 feet? big_smile.png
-@Bigrad Wolf
Geckos normally don't get bigger than about 25".
-@Leeds forever!

I meant about 25cm, not 25". 🤔  Autocorrect kicked in,but I didn't see it.

plowmanbrett

Hi my name Brett Plowman I lived in Thailand for the past 6 years with my wife. I'm from Australia where I owned hotels. I used play nrl back in the day for Broncos parramatta and chargers. I'm now semi retired and enjoying doing a few development over here.  I posted on classified that we have 4 purebred Labrador puppies for sale so if anyone is interested please contact me.

Cheers

BP

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles