Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Last activity 19 December 2023 by Shorty1964

pjf24855

@Julien

Hi

My name is Phil I have just retired here in Thailand with my wife of 22 years. 

Phil

scbrock

@pjf24855 Welcome Phil.

Where are you and your family retiring to?

Good luck in retirement and your new life!

Steve

philkatich2022

It looks like there are two Phil's here. One (pjf24855) has just retired with his wife of 22 years. Nice to meet you Phil (pjf24855).

I am the other Phil (I also and will go by Felipe) who is planning on retiring in September/October 2023, most likely starting out in Phuket to do some diving. I (Felipe) prefer larger cities with more activity and amenities closer than the calm and serene remote quiet cottage by the beach or on a mountain hill. Felipe

GeoffG64

@Julien

I'm reaching out today seeking some advice and insights. You see, I'm seriously considering a move to Thailand, and I would greatly appreciate any guidance based on my past experiences.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Geoff Gartland, and I have spent the past 29 years immersed in the vibrant expat community of Benidorm. During this time, I had the privilege of managing and owning Company Bar Benidorm, in the heart of the Old Town. Additionally, I run Benidorm Travel Mart, an affiliate travel page where I share my passion for Benidorm. Alongside these endeavors, I also operate a print-on-demand store, which allows me to express my entrepreneurial spirit.

Before my time in the hospitality industry, I held the esteemed position of Managing Director at Round Town News, a widely read and respected ex-pat newspaper. Through these experiences, I have developed strong communication skills, effective leadership qualities, and the ability to make sound decisions.

Aside from my professional background, I take pride in being fluent in Spanish and a native English speaker. This language proficiency has enabled me to connect with individuals from various backgrounds.

In addition to my work, I have a passion for travel, music, and fitness. I find joy in exploring new cultures and connecting with people from different walks of life. As an aspiring DJ and music producer, I am constantly seeking opportunities to enhance my skills in this creative field.

Lastly, I am proud to have been involved in organizing and promoting the Benidorm Pride Festival, an annual LGBTQ event held each September. This experience has allowed me to champion inclusivity and celebrate diversity.

Now, as I contemplate this exciting transition to Thailand, a country that I have visited many times over the years, I would be immensely grateful for any advice, recommendations, or insights that you could share. If you have personal experiences or knowledge about living in Thailand or the ex-pat community there, I would love to hear from you.

Geoff.

Bhavna

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for this detailed introduction .

Please note that Julien is the founder of the website and is not located in Thailand.

I would suggest that you open a thread of your own on the Thailand forum whilst asking your questions to members so that they may guide you.

You may also read the Living in Thailand Guide for expats for a good start.

All the very best

Bhavna

Blackwaternc

@Julien  Good Morning my name is Jose Alburquerque from new york city, looking to fine a job an move to Pattaya Thailand around Sept or Oct.  Looking for advice and hopefully land a job by that time. I will be moving to Thailand at the end of Sept

tehrann1212

@Blackwaternc hi. im ashkan. talk more about please here,***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Bhavna

Hello and welcome @Blackwaternc,

Feel free to read the articles about Work in Thailand of the Guide to gather as much information as possible. You may also create your CV in the Jobs in Pattaya for better exposure or open a new topic on the Pattaya forum and ask members about jobs prospects in your field of expertise.

All the best

Bhavna

tpgjes

Hi,

My name is Jesmine. Will be moving to Lamphun, Thailand by mid Aug. New job opportunity!

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thanks for your interest in the forum.

To all job seekers, please create your CV in the appropriate section, which is the Jobs in Thailand section, using the following link:

https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/thailand/

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Jake Fitzgerald

Hi all,

My name is Jake, I'm from the UK, 30 years old and looking to start a new life in Thailand shortly. I am currently a automotive electrical/software engineer managing a team of technicians in a highly established automotive brand. I am seeking work in thailand and to relocate, not sure which area as of yet, I suppose wherever I can find a suitable job.

Looking forward to hopefully living and working in the beautiful scenic country as soon as possible and getting away from the UK! 1f600.svg1f601.svg1f601.svg1f601.svg1f601.svg

Leeds forever!
Last time I was here, departed QUICKLY!!!!
March 2020 the airport was closing and had to make an hasty departure.
In the mean time, trying to reconnect. For example, I remember a food truck with hamburgers. Cann't remember the name associated with it and would love to find it again.

Classical music at one of the schools, I don't remember the name, would have concerts.
-@dad hatchett

"For example, I remember a food truck with hamburgers."

Wow, is that's the only thing you remember about Chiang Mai, a food truck selling hamburgers? I promise you, there were/are more than one.

Gilbert Williams

Grand Rising to all,

I'm Gil. Originally from NYC but currently living in Georgia.  Relocating long-term to Jomtien Thailand late August 2023.

Bhavna

Welcome on board, Gil !

All the best ^^

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards

Bhavna

johnallan72

Hello everyone

Im currently looking at Condo's around Pratumnuk Hill and Jomtien. Any good complexes (or bad ones!) that anyone can flag. Will be visiting in August just to look at properties so any hot tips will mostlikely save me a lot of time and narrow my search.

I will be flying in and out weekly once I move there due to my work but to put and end to that, am starting to look into mayvbe starting a small business in Pattaya City or anywhere touristy. Maybe a small sports bar? There are some pit falls with that I know and I can always fall back on my FIFO work if it didn't work out.

Anyways, just thought I would introduce myself and see what any expats with good local knowledge and experience can offer me in the way of advice.

Nice to meet you!

Steven_C

Hi everyone,

Nice to see all this variety of people and country in this forum.

I from Swisserland and I wish I can go to Thailand  to make some visits to this beautiful  contry in order to stay there in 1-2 years from now.

I m engineer in microtechnique and I already have my on company in Swisserland.  I wish  I can find new company  in Thailand  I can work for!

If you have any ideas it's welcome!

Wishing you all a good start!!

Bhavna

Hello Johnallan72,

Welcome on board !

Happy to have you on Expat.com !

I hope you'll get t o interact with members and find some valuable information.

Just saw your other post. I am posting the link here for members to have a look at : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1033881

All the best

Bhavna

scbrock

Can you explain an engineer in microtechnique? Sounds interesting

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

@ Steven_C, welcome on board ^^

Regards

Bhavna

Steven_C

@Bhavna Thank you Bhavna, looking forward to have some exchange  with you wink.png!

Steven_C

Hi scbrock,

Yes with pleasure, engineer in microtechnique is a mixe of 3 type of engineer: electronics, mecanique, programmation.

Normally we work for the robotique or the industry with robotics system.

For me I actually work in R&D with the objective to create new product for my clients. We start with a wite paper an go to the prototype and the pre industrialization and finally put the product in fabrication.

If you want to clearly what I talking about I let you see my web site wink.png

goaheadvd.ch

BR

scbrock
Hi scbrock,
Yes with pleasure, engineer in microtechnique is a mixe of 3 type of engineer: electronics, mecanique, programmation.

Normally we work for the robotique or the industry with robotics system.

For me I actually work in R&D with the objective to create new product for my clients. We start with a wite paper an go to the prototype and the pre industrialization and finally put the product in fabrication.

If you want to clearly what I talking about I let you see my web site wink.png

goaheadvd.ch

BR
-@Steven_C

Hello and thank you for the explanation.

Your description sounds similar to work that I have done

but it was robotics/electronics/programming in semiconductor

test equipment repair.

Good day

ekhotek

Salutations,

Visiting Thailand for the summer.

Figuring how to retire here.

Opened bank account the other day.

Now researching the LTR situation.

Happy Trails,

Mick

martinoo2002

Martin, been here since 2002

Dutch National and working for multinational

Nice to meet you people

PeteWN

Hi all, I'm Pete and a Thai-American. I was born and raised in Bangkok but left Thailand for school in the U.S. in 2007 and has not lived in Thailand since. I've only made short visits, a couple of weeks at the most. I had a pretty good job here in LA with a nice pension, but a family situation in Thailand changed the circumstances overnight and suddenly I was searching for a job that would allow me to be in Thailand with my family.

I am negotiating a contract with an American NGO who does not yet have a legal presence in Thailand and I will be managed by a PEO. An agreement is expected to be reached by the end of the fall, after which I must start the process of permanent relocation to Bangkok. I might have questions from the community on how to uproot myself and get re-settled in the motherland. I'm particularly worried about how to move my earnings over to Thailand and being in compliance re: financial reporting and staying out of trouble with IRS.

Bhavna

@PeteWN Hello and welcome on board !

I strongly recommend that you start your own topic on the Thailand forum so that you may seek advice from members. I hope you are successful in moving back.

May I ask where you intend to relocate (city/region) ?

All the very best

Bhavna

YBJ22

Hi there,

My name is Yash, I currently live in Goa, India. I manage a few real estate businesses developing holiday homes in India's tourist capital ; while working on starting a bar in the near future, wish me luck. I moved to India during Covid due to my visa in America lapsing at the time. While Stateside I managed a Bachelor's degree in Computational Sciences and Managerial Economics, and worked at a collector vehicle insurance company as a marketing analyst.

I like beer, I collect and work on some old broken benzes, and I would love to work with somebody here on setting up a little business in Bangkok so I can move there a few years down the line.

I recently visited, and I fell in love with the place. People are mostly hospitable, the place is so well organized, and it's a similar sort of melting pot as America with a thriving expat community. America was built on immigrants and I would love to be a building block in Thailand's story. Far higher standard of living than where I live currently so its a win-win.

I look forward to getting to know you guys

Leeds forever!
Hi there,
My name is Yash, I currently live in Goa, India. I manage a few real estate businesses developing holiday homes in India's tourist capital ; while working on starting a bar in the near future, wish me luck. I moved to India during Covid due to my visa in America lapsing at the time. While Stateside I managed a Bachelor's degree in Computational Sciences and Managerial Economics, and worked at a collector vehicle insurance company as a marketing analyst.

I like beer, I collect and work on some old broken benzes, and I would love to work with somebody here on setting up a little business in Bangkok so I can move there a few years down the line.
I recently visited, and I fell in love with the place. People are mostly hospitable, the place is so well organized, and it's a similar sort of melting pot as America with a thriving expat community. America was built on immigrants and I would love to be a building block in Thailand's story. Far higher standard of living than where I live currently so its a win-win.

I look forward to getting to know you guys
-@YBJ22

"America was built on immigrants and I would love to be a building block in Thailand's story."

Sorry to disappoint you, but in Thailand you'll just be a Non-immigrant.

YBJ22

@Leeds forever! That's okay, happy to just be in an environment i appreciate.

echew

Hi,

My name is Evan.  Been in Bangkok for almost a month but will be leaving back to USA in two days.  I should had visited this site sooner to hope and meet some of you. 

My goal is to move to Bangkok.  This trip was to meet a real estate agent and to looking around the condo space.  I am not retired, but wanted to take a break from the crazy American life. 

In any case, I still have two days.  If anyone is up for a cup of coffee, I am free!

Bveerasit

@Julien I m a US citizen living in Thailand for 26 years. Original Thais. You re welcome to ask any question about Thailand.

Leeds forever!
@Julien I m a US citizen living in Thailand for 26 years. Original Thais. You re welcome to ask any question about Thailand.
-@Bveerasit

From an earlier post: "Please note that Julien is the founder of the website and is not located in Thailand."

Jimpdxusa

@Julien Hi, my name is Jim and I currently live in Portland, Oregon USA. I am looking to retire in SE Asia in 2024. For a long while I was thinking Vietnam was where I would end up but it seems the visa situation post Covid is much more restrictive in VN so Thailand is where I think I will end up now as well as a few other reasons it might be a better fit. It will be a multi step process as I learn more about Thailand, the culture, geography, climate, visas and so much more.

I will likely start in Bangkok in Q1 on a 60 day tourist visa and pay the extension for another 30 days. I want to explore the city life in Bangkok, get a smile makeover while i'm in BK, but know I will want to eventually settle settle by the ocean in one of the wonderful beach communities. Phuket, Pattaya, and Koh Samui as possibilities but open to other coastal town, open to suggestions. I do like a mix of chill beach vibe but also enjoy city life. I love fishing the salt for pelagic sport fish, so an area with good fishing is high on the list.

If all goes well I will then go back to the States and disposition the belongings that will be in storage and head back to Thailand and start a new life. I will want to take classes on yoga, Thai language, join a gym, find a group of expats to befriend, find a volunteer opportunity and learn how to surf at 58....

Things I'm not sure about or that make me nervous are the constant heat & humidity, rainy seasons and adapting to it. I worry about getting older and the quality/cost of medical care, air quality, and being isolated given I don't speak the language. I take comfort knowing I am pretty outgoing/social and make friends fairly easily, and super open minded and can get along well with others. I love history and learning new cultures, and am eager to learn a new language enough to get by.

There will be lots of newbie questions as I prepare to make the jump and close the learning curve. I appreciate your patience and understanding as I ask.

Jimopdxusa

scbrock

@Jimpdxusa

@Jimpdxusa

Hey Jim

Welcome to the forum!

I am about 30 mi to the north of you in

St Helens visiting my mom. Will be heading back to Colorado

in another week then to Thailand at October's end.

It's a bold move moving to Thailand. But you mentioned the

rain you must be used to it living in the NW. But the heat is

of course much more intense in Thailand.

I think you will find the medical in Thailand very good and

much more affordable than in the states.

The areas you mentioned near the beaches are going to be more

expensive but have more expats too. I can tell you most anything

about Phuket I have a residence there

Good luck on the planning and moving!

Steve

Jimpdxusa

@scbrock Steve, do you have time to meet for a pint or coffee before you leave?  I'm happy to make the trek to St Helen's and meet you.  Would be nice to be able to ask a ton of questions and get a data dump from someone with boots on the ground.  Or we can also  chat on the phone/video chat if that works better for you.

Jim

scbrock

Hey Jim

Sure, if you want to drive out here I would definitely like to meet over lunch,

or drink or coffee. Wednesday or Thursday of this week is good. Tomorrow

may be a little short notice for you.

Steve

GuestPoster1009

Hi all

I am Jonas from Accra, Ghana currently in Bangkok for studies.

Connecting with anyone is a pleasure.

scbrock

Welcome Jonas!

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay!

Steve

mmazibuko50

I am South African who studied for a Bachelor of Commerce and studying for CIMA i would like to move to Thailand in Bangkok.

Currently i am in South Africa.

Bhavna

@mmazibuko50

Hello and welcome on board !

I would invite you to read the Living in Thailand guide for expats to gather as much information as possible and to seek advice from members by creating your own thread on the Bangkok forum.

What is your profession, please ?

All the best

Bhavna

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles