Hostels in Rio

Hello Guys. I have been traveling back and forth Miami to Rio for over 10 years. I really enjoy the vibes at hostels so decided to open up my own. Anyone else thought about opening one?

Hello DraganFit,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for starting this new thread.

Could you give us more details about the information you are looking for?

Are you looking for an overview of how to open your own hotel?

Or are you looking for a business partner?

We need more details so we know how to help you.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl Thank you for the kind welcome.

I have learned the insides and out of running a hostel over the years as I worked in a few part time along my travels in the early days many years ago.

I already have the agreement with the building owner and arranged the lease.

I initially was going to do everything on my own. But after some thought I would entertain the option of having a business partner to venture with me. I plan to get everything up and going for the busy carnival season. If someone is interested we can have a chat.

Good luck 🍀

l hope it works out for you.

Hello Guys. I have been traveling back and forth Miami to Rio for over 10 years. I really enjoy the vibes at hostels so decided to open up my own. Anyone else thought about opening one?
-@DraganFit

Hostels are money pits.   

You are dealing with personnel, so Labor claims are a huge concern.  And Carioca's lack of work ethic is legendary. 

You have an up front expense called rent.  And, for the right place, it won't come cheap, specially Rio.   

And Rio's lodging industry is just coming out of the doldrums.   To exemplify, I had people who bought hotel rooms ( as you would buy a condo apartment ), for passive investment in a newly built hotel in Downtown Rio ( away from the beaches, therefore ).

These people went 3 straight years without a red cent of dividends on their units ( pooled revenue ).  On a Franchised Hotel Building ( think Ramada Inn, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, pretty darn close ).

Weren't for the management company to meet the expenses, these holders would be paying to own a unit that is supposed to bring in passive income!

Unless you are a seasoned hotelier with deep pockets or bankrollers, leave it to the pros.  And don' even bother to AirBnB.   This is a business that requires you to mind the store. 

Get a hole in the wall, or a Tiki Hut, and be in the Food and Beverage.  Which, by the way, is how Howard Johnson, Marriott, and Holliday Inn got their start before they moved onto the Lodging Business. 

What you also can do is to create a Country or Rio host agency, where you recruit local guides to take tourists around .

You collect the fees and pay them for booked groups.   

You can do a lot of this online. 

You will need to train personnel, be present to make sure your hosts/guides follow your outlined principles.