Moving to LA with family

We are moving to LA from London for work with 2 children, aged 12 & 10.

I am trying to understand the differences between the UK & US school systems. Where are the best areas for school? Assuming we can, are there any private schools that are good for British kids?

Commute will be to Culver City - can anyone recommend areas that are good for families & preferably where British expats live?! We've been looking at Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Encino, Culver. Any advice?!

@sophadams

Hi there,

There are many private and charter schools around LA for International students.

I would recommend contacting the British Consulate (on Century Park Ave.) for recommendations.

Personally, I would prioritize where the kids go to school before I find a place to live: a bad commute can quickly make your family life miserable in LA.

All the South beach cities are great, more of a lay back attitude. Nice at the end of the day to go for a run on the Strand or play beach volleyball.

Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo (where I lived for 5 years) are all nice and safe areas.

North of Marina Del Rey is a different vibe, more congested along the coast in my opinion.

Either you are purchasing or renting in LA, make sure to find a competent / knowledgeable real estate agent to help you find a suitable home. 

Hope this helps.

BMS14

Please tell me if anyone is aware of my question. My family and I are planning to move to the U.S., but we have a grandfather who has been retired for a long time. He is already 82 years old. The question is that we at home get some of the drugs for free and some of them are compensated to us. For example, such a drug as amlodipine. I named it because I remember the name by heart. There are actually a lot of them. It seems at first glance that each of these drugs costs 20-40 dollars, but in the end we get a lot of money. [link under review] is about $25. We saved about $100 at home, and that's only for a month, even I would say three weeks. What do you have to say about that? At least tell me the direction to go in order to get information.

Please tell me if anyone is aware of my question. My family and I are planning to move to the U.S., but we have a grandfather who has been retired for a long time. He is already 82 years old. The question is that we at home get some of the drugs for free and some of them are compensated to us. For example, such a drug as amlodipine. I named it because I remember the name by heart. There are actually a lot of them. It seems at first glance that each of these drugs costs 20-40 dollars, but in the end we get a lot of money. [link under review] is about $25. We saved about $100 at home, and that's only for a month, even I would say three weeks. What do you have to say about that? At least tell me the direction to go in order to get information.
-@konstantin202301

It will basically depends on the drug and what kind of medical insurance you have so it's difficult to answer your question without that information.  Most medical plans have a « prescription plan » that will determine how much your copay is for a given drug.

HTH

The differences in teaching between the US and the UK are not very different, depending on whether you prefer the UK or the US environment.

Moving to the U.S. involves various considerations, and retirement can be one of them. Here are some general points to consider, but keep in mind that individual circumstances can vary, and it's advisable to consult with immigration and financial professionals for personalized advice:

Depending on the purpose of your move, you will need to explore the appropriate visa options. Common visas for immigrants include family-sponsored visas, employment-based visas, or diversity visas (green cards).

If your grandfather is retired and has pension income, savings, or investments, it's essential to consider how these financial aspects will be managed in the U.S. You may want to consult with a financial advisor to understand tax implications, retirement account transfers, and other financial considerations.

Be aware of the cost of living in the specific area of the U.S. where you plan to move heavy item movers. visit [link moderated]/ Different regions have varying costs for housing, healthcare, and other essential expenses.

Cultural Adjustment:

Moving to a new country involves cultural adjustments. Consider how your grandfather might adapt to the cultural and social aspects of life in the U.S.