Menu
Expat.com

Philippine entry

Last activity 23 January 2023 by Cherryann01

robwilks

I’m going to the Philippines again this year. Can you get a one-way ticket and decide to buy an electric ticket when you want to leave?

WHITE ASIAN

Yes.

FindlayMacD

You need an onward ticket

Guest8964

Hi Robwilks. I did it.  Not sure where you departing from, but I came from JFK in NY. Prepare yourself for some unstable schedules and long waiting time for connecting flights.  I think FindlayMacD is right. I am currently working on my 13A Visa so its different for me.

emvaningen

@WHITE ASIAN

I think that only is true in a number of cases, like having an existing residence already.

danfinn

@robwilks Yes, as long as you do not plan to enter on a tourist visa, stamped at the airport, an exception being the BB (balikbayan) stamp where you also need no onward ticket. Not sure what he means by "electric ticket", must be UK or  Ozzie slang lol.

pnwcyclist

i just buy a changeable round trip ticket for 30 days on PAL, which satisfies the requirement of having an onward ticket - once in country you can extend it. Don’t forget to extend your visa as well.

Frank Lyszkiewicz

@robwilks no you still have to have an onward ticket

kristopherryanwatson

@robwilks

Technically, it is possible. But very risky.  Be prepared to explain yourself when you arrive at the Airport, and, the very possibility that you may be sent back to your departing destination if the Immigration officer doesn't seem to like you for whatever reason.

i mentioned before in a previous post some time ago of my experience of not having a return/connecting flight ticket .

Back in 2014 i flew from Toronto Canada and only had a one-way ticket (why i didn't is a story for another time..). when i checked-in at the Airport to catch my flight on that occasion, the  Check-In attendant was very clear to me that I should be prepared for the possibility that I would be sent back for not having a return-ticket. over the course of the flight, i contemplated what was going to happen. I was petrified, only because there was a very important reason why i was flying into the Philippines on that particular trip. Being sent back on that trip would have had a serious impact on the whole reason why i flew for that trip at that time.

somehow,  by pure luck i suppose, Going through Immigration was a breeze; no issue whatsoever. I consider myself very lucky.

so anyway, i strongly recommend having a ticket for your connecting flight, or a very solid explanation as to why you have a one-way ticket.

but if you're a risk taker,  go for it.

Moon Dog

I bought two throw away tickets for around $80 each but I never had to present them. The lady at the Delta check-in counter in Atlanta only asked if I had return or forwarding tickets and asked for the return date.

My wife and I were availing of the balikbayan privilege and therefore were not required to have forwarding tickets, but good luck explaining that to the person at the counter in your home country.

"Bureau of Immigration, Republic of the Philippines

11 February 2022

PRESS RELEASE

Balikbayan, exempted from return ticket requirement

MANILA, Philippines—the Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that arriving balikbayan and their spouse and children who are traveling with them are exempted from presenting an outbound ticket."

xavierasia

I went with tourist visa 30 days stamped at manila aeroport. they never ask me a return ticket, even if i got it.

Larry Fisher

I departed LAX for Cebu, Eva Air Nov 24th with a one-way ticket. At the airport, the EVA air counter asked specifically for my return or onward ticket. I presented them with a $75 e-ticket for a flight to Brunei. While the attendant questioned me on it, I was cordial but firm that was exactly what I needed to have. She spoke to a supervisor, (mind you I was checking in with a 65lb trained Belgian Malinois cleared by EVA HQ in Taipei to ride in cabin) to which she did and everything was fine.

I was not asked upon arrival in Cebu.

danfinn
I went with tourist visa 30 days stamped at manila aeroport. they never ask me a return ticket, even if i got it.
-@xavierasia

I am sure that happens. When we used tourist visas, we got stamped at PI immigration and they wrote in BB. Never a return ticket needed over a few decades. But there is no way they could know at a foreign check in that you would actually be granted BB at immigration. They may deny it for a host of reasons so I don't know the purpose of foreign check in desks asking to see return tickets! If you convinced them you were BB they would be incorrect in letting you go if you were later denied BB. So foreign check ins should not have to make this check.But many expats say they were asked for the return tickets so I would make sure I had one, even if some agents are more lenient than others. Always prepare for worse case.

Lotus Eater

Under UK (and EU) law airlines are responsible for bringing a passenger back to their point of departure if refused entry by immigration. Which means you will be denied boarding at the check in desk without a return ticket if just visiting or without valid Philippine documentation to the contrary. My guess is that US & Canadian laws have a similar requirement.

pnwcyclist's excellent advice on buying a flexible return ticket really is a no brainer. Most airlines will let you change the return date for a fee of about $200.

danfinn
Under UK (and EU) law airlines are responsible for bringing a passenger back to their point of departure if refused entry by immigration. Which means you will be denied boarding at the check in desk without a return ticket ...
-@Lotus Eater

The problem is:

1. For Balikbayan, there is no way the ticket agent can confirm it will be issued by Phils immigration. Sometimes it is denied. But

2. *Phils issued a memo in Feb 2022 stating that BB does not require a return ticket.*

3. And how can the traveler himself predict that immigration will not deny BB at entry?

bigpearl

I live here and going to Singapore for a week,,,, visa run after 3 years (visitor visa) just now booking an exit ticket to Hong Kong for 3,000 pesos 2 months ahead so I'm not questioned, give the ticket away or just burn it.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob

In the past it was implied that the carrier taking you to the Philippines would check for an outbound ticket in order to board you.

It was also implied that if they did not check, they were responsible for your return trip back at their cost.

So with that in mind when I came to the Philippines in August 2018 I had a return outbound ticket for myself but not for my wife a Filipino. I did not want to take the chance of being denied boarding on my flight to the Philippines.

danfinn

@Enzyte Bob Nobody at the foreign check in ever asked us for the return ticket. My only question is, suppose the foreign (home) check in agent asks for for the return ticket but you say you do not need it because you are balikbayan. You show the marriage certificate proving eligibility for BB and they let you board. Then you arrive and you are denied BB for some other reason, perhaps the official is in a bad mood. They can do that and i know someone it has happened to. So now they classify you tourist only and you don't have the return ticket. Must the carrier pay to send you back?

Lotus Eater

@danfinn

An emphatic yes. Quite simply the Immigration officers ruling trumps everything, even though half the time they get it wrong.

Under UK law the airline will be duty bound to get you on the next available return flight. So if there is any doubt at check in the airline will refuse you passage.

On my visit to the Philippines last November Etihad Airways desk clerk at London Heathrow check In asked to see my exit flight with Cebu Pacific to Jakarta.

Why take the risk?

danfinn

@Lotus Eater I agree and that means that the February memo that states balikbayans need not show a return ticket is actually somewhat of a risk to follow. I don't think the officials thought that one out.

Larry Fisher

I'm reading on Philippines Bureau of Immigration website the definition of Balikbayan.

The following categories of persons can avail of the Balikbayan privilege: (a) a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure; (b) a Filipino overseas worker (OFW); (c) a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport

In order to avail of the privilege, qualified Filipino citizens need to present only their Philippine passports showing the date of last exit from the Philippines, which should not be less than 1 year.

So that kinda kills my thought of claiming balikbayan when we return from a 4 day trip to Thailand in March.

danfinn

@Larry Fisher Technically kills the idea but you should try anyway since I know many people who did not have to stay out of the country for a year.

jeisman590

The best thing to do is contact an Philippines attorney who is familiar with immigration law. Everything is inexpensive here, that includes legal advise.

danfinn

@jeisman590 Contact an immigration attorney here, specifically to see if you can get a BB privilege? Really? Also, no attorney can guarantee the BB as it is up to the immigration officer whom you hope looks at your request favorably; it is his/her option to grant or deny. Come here being prepared to get extensions, on a regular visa stamp, every 30 days or more, travel here with your wife, have the marriage certificate with you, then request the BB. I am fairly sure you will get it. That is what a lawyer would tell you.

danfinn

@Larry Fisher Are you married to a Filipina citizen or former citizen? Without that you will not get a 9A visa with balikbayan privilege.

Larry Fisher

@danfinn Soon young padowan, soon. Sorry couldn't resist to pull out the old Yoda in me :-)

But she's never even been out of the country. Let alone for a year. I was thinking in March when we come back from Thailand if I have everything set in place we could try but appears it's not available to us. Though I suppose we could always just ask for it at immigration when entering at airport in Cebu?

danfinn

@Larry Fisher OK, so obviously you will need to be married. Take an original of your marriage certificate. From immigration memos issued several years ago, no need for her to be out of the country for a year. Just one day will do. Yes, ask for BB when you reach the immigration booth and both meet the agent together. In my opinion your chances of 1 year BB are very high. If not, well nothing lost for trying but I can see no reason for denial. Have you considered the possible problems in getting your wife out of the country? Suggest you read up on offloading (something I know little about except that it can be a concern).

Lotus Eater
The best thing to do is contact an Philippines attorney who is familiar with immigration law. Everything is inexpensive here, that includes legal advise.
-@jeisman590

An 'inexpensive' attorney? Look up the word Oxymoron.

danfinn
-@jeisman590
-@Lotus Eater

Lol. Also, going on 6 years here I never heard of an immigration attorney who specializes in it like in the West. There are attorneys who sometimes handle immigration. But to get advice on balikbayan status is a bit unusual. Like, you either get it or you don't. If you don't you come as tourist wo BB.

Andy_1963

I went out with my filipina wife for a month and when we returned, I got the BB status as I have lost my ACR Card abroad.

danfinn
I went out with my filipina wife for a month and when we returned, I got the BB status as I have lost my ACR Card abroad.
-@Andy_1963

I'll bet you will have to go through a lot of paperwork, notarized affidavits and maybe even a court hearing to get a duplicate issued.

FindlayMacD
-@jeisman590
-@Lotus Eater

"An 'inexpensive' attorney? Look up the word Oxymoron." Especially if they know a foreigner is an any way involved, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

danfinn

@FindlayMacD For something like this, I estimate 50K, 75K if a court hearing. Even if you lose your LTO drivers license it is a big hassle to get a duplicate. For some reason, getting duplicates of lost documents/ID's is a big deal here. Do not be careless, never lose anything that shows ID.  I agree, use an attorney and pay him. Your biggest problem will be finding one who can actually do the job.

Ivan Cristante

Suggest you call Mike Ryan of ABC International Migration Services Inc from Ermita, Manila who has been established more than 20-years, is an Australian with the biggest Australian Migration agency in the Philippines and also does American and some other visas and is very knowledgeable on many other things including requirements in and out of the company, setting up a company so you can own a house without a wife, etc. If he can't help you he can steer you in the right direction as he knows a lot of people and won't charge you for the advise, only if you want a particular service and probably at a better rate. And he is honest. Say I referred you so he will give you special attention. Ph 921 755 2044, also Skype, WhatsApp, viber.

danfinn

@Ivan Cristante Yes, there are many visa agencies here, some good and some not so good. Previous comments were "see an immigration attorney" as if they existed here like in the US lol. But if you want to recommend visa agencies, I would recommend JRC. These are not attorneys but they do work in conjunction with lawyers when needed.

kristopherryanwatson

I would like to recommend JRC Visa Consultancy & Immigration Services.

They have a few offices, located in NCR, Davao and Cebu. they have been brilliant to deal with for all my needs. truly wonderful people who excel in client satisfaction.

You can check them out on Facebook. Testimonials from Foreigners and their experience on assistance to help with their needs are regularly posted.

laymanm65

@robwilks Go to YouTube and look up Jennifer Terri.  When you find her type in do I need a return ticket.  She is a Filipina who does nothing but answers questions about getting to and living in the Philippines. I seriously doubt you can ask a question she hasn’t already answered in depth.

danfinn

@laymanm65 When Jennifer Terri discusses such things, even she will tell you that the final arbiter is the check-in agent prior to boarding your international flight. Sometimes they may be working on outdated information but if they think they are liable for your return flight if you have no return ticket, they will not give you a boarding pass without a return ticket regardless of what what some attorney or visa agency told you, no matter how correct they were. From watching her videos, improper interpretation of Philippine rules by airlines other than PAL seems to be more common than expected.

Enzyte Bob
@robwilks Go to YouTube and look up Jennifer Terri. When you find her type in do I need a return ticket. She is a Filipina who does nothing but answers questions about getting to and living in the Philippines. I seriously doubt you can ask a question she hasn’t already answered in depth.
-@laymanm65

Quite a bit of verbiage on this subject. An outbound ticket is a cheap guarantee covering the possibility of being denied entry. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him buy an outbound ticket.

bigpearl

Good word Bob. Honestly guys and gals I always have an onward flight from the Philippines whether a month or 6, main thing is you have an onward ticket if coming in on a tourist visa. I have done it for years and the last thing I need is no onward ticket and having to rush and purchase something expensive online.

As others have mentioned it's up to the check in desk from your departure country to make sure you have a departure ticket if a tourist/visitor visa, never a problem as always have an exit ticket, done it 2 dozen times or more.

Balakbayan, 13a or SRRV I have no idea. The OP has not been back to clarify his/her entry status for such a question so perhaps we should put this to bed until the OP responds?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles