Menu
Expat.com

Is Federal Police registration so close to expiration date a problem?

Last activity 20 January 2023 by acpr

acpr

I'm here in Brazil with a residency visa and they give 90 days to register with the Federal Police, so that one can get their RNE, etc. I didn't register because I was waiting to find an apt to rent and I found it after 60 days, but then it was Xmas and NYE so I only made my PF appointment in early January, and their earliest appt was the morning of Jan 23rd. Since today is a state holiday in Rio I can't go into a bank to pay my GRU tax (a requirement to register with PF), so I have to wait til Monday (the 23rd), and thus no time to hit the bank beforehand.

I just found the only other spot for a few days later, but that only leaves me with 2-3 days before my 90 days is up. Is that going to be a problem and make it so I have to leave the country next week since I'm registering so close to the time limit? Or do you think my registration counts from the appt date?

acpr

It looks like someone asked the same, or similar question last year. And from what I can gather online, there would just be a late registration fee, likely similar to overstaying one's visa (ie, 100 reais per day).

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1000207

Articles to help you in your expat project in Rio de Janeiro

All of Rio de Janeiro's guide articles