Menu
Expat.com

I am coming back for good this time.

Last activity 27 January 2023 by danfinn

eptowing

Well Guys I was in the Philippines last year for two months. I have my ups and downs but over all I had a good time. After coming back to the states I decided to sale  my house and everything I owned and move over there. My Filipina has a nice house that will be home until I get settled in. I want to live on the beach somewhere as I am a scuba diver and I want to dive. I will also end up buy a boat and maybe even a air compressor to fill me tanks up so we can go diving when ever we want. I will use a tourist visa for now. I do have to come back to the states in April for a couple of weeks but after that I plan on staying.

I am not 100% on all I have to do once I get over there as far as license and stuff so in help would be great Thanks

Lotus Eater

@eptowing

Thanks for the update. We were all getting concerned that maybe you had gone ‘off grid’ .

You will need this Forum to maintain your sanity once you settle permanently.

Oh and don’t forget ‘It’s more fun in the Philippines’ 😉

danfinn

@eptowing Most people here need a regular source of income like pensions, annuities and the like. If you just bring a large bank account balance, your stay will have an expiration date unless you have 35K per year interest. You can drive for 90 days on your US license from date of last entry but nobody seems to check that. Avoid philippine bank accounts, just keep you money in the US and transfer money or use ATM as needed. You have committed to live in gf's house but if your are single, be open to other women as there are many. Respect the local customs, don't complain about karaoke and crowing roosters and barking dogs and just be flexible.

eptowing
@eptowing Most people here need a regular source of income like pensions, annuities and the like. If you just bring a large bank account balance, your stay will have an expiration date unless you have 35K per year interest. You can drive for 90 days on your US license from date of last entry but nobody seems to check that. Avoid philippine bank accounts, just keep you money in the US and transfer money or use ATM as needed. You have committed to live in gf's house but if your are single, be open to other women as there are many. Respect the local customs, don't complain about karaoke and crowing roosters and barking dogs and just be flexible.
-@danfinn

Well I do not have a pensions and I was a small business owner. I believe I have my finance in order I guess only time will tell. Girlfriend house is just to get me feed settled and she lives to far away from the ocean. We will end up moving. I know all about the women there. Thats going to be the hardest part. The karaoke would be so bad if they knew how to sing. LOL I am bring my two dogs with me, so, the dogs thing is only going to get worst.  I also have an over seas account I that I will use.

Thanks for the head up

eptowing
@eptowing
Thanks for the update. We were all getting concerned that maybe you had gone ‘off grid’ .

You will need this Forum to maintain your sanity once you settle permanently.
Oh and don’t forget ‘It’s more fun in the Philippines’ 😉
-@Lotus Eater

I did for a minute. I have to come back home to get everything in order sale my house and everything now I fly back out on the 31st in 4 days

danfinn

@eptowing You sound prepared 👍

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles