Really looking at a few options

As you know I have lived in Hungary for many years, currently living in Turkey (cheap, very friendly people, everything is close (however not EU/Schengen))

Going back to Hungary is an option, but things (also with costs) have changed

Stay in Turkey, but not very stable (also applies to Hungary in a certain extent)

Go to Namibia (negative, very very far away, but English is official (if helps)

Go back to Netherlands (they speak Dutch which is a plus, also things are very very well arranged, but so so expenses, very sad is that people who refuse to take subsidies, un-employment benefits, ... are really lostm, we have to pay massive taxes on the fact that you have (limited) capital.

I think timing to leave Hungary was right, perhaps the price for selling our property was too low, but not too bad.

Amazingly property prices overhere were increasing quite a bit (I almost feel guilty), still I do not feel comfortable

I know Hungary quite well, but can you give the additional pluses or minuses compared to a year ago.

Have you considered Bulgaria if you are after a cheap place?

I am not sure Turkey is a great place to be for the next year. There is going to be a lot of unrest due to corruption. Its not a place I would like to be right now.

I gather and certainly hope that you are safe and well. Although, of little comfort to so many who did not have that basic human right; a structurally-sound house, will increase in value, dramatically, now, I imagine. I come from an earthquake prone country, myself, but we have almost completely knocked down or strengthened all non-compliant structures to prevent this scale of (inexcusable?) loss of life. The true price of government corruption is being paid in blood, it appears. I'm appalled, to say the least, at the loss of life, in what is promoted as a nearly first-world country. That said, if an earthquake hit Hungary....? But there's just no precedent here, to my knowledge.

I gather and certainly hope that you are safe and well. Although, of little comfort to so many who did not have that basic human right; a structurally-sound house, will increase in value, dramatically, now, I imagine. I come from an earthquake prone country, myself, but we have almost completely knocked down or strengthened all non-compliant structures to prevent this scale of (inexcusable?) loss of life. The true price of government corruption is being paid in blood, it appears. I'm appalled, to say the least, at the loss of life, in what is promoted as a nearly first-world country. That said, if an earthquake hit Hungary....? But there's just no precedent here, to my knowledge.
-@wavydavid

Hungary has earthquakes.

Mrs Fluffy remembers them happening when she was a child.

There was one very recently too but hardly anyone noticed.

Usually they are small and hardly noticeable - swaying lamps, cupboard doors opening,  books falling out of shelves, cats miaowing, dogs barking etc.

-@wavydavid

Hungary has earthquakes.

Usually they are small and hardly noticeable - swaying lamps, cupboard doors opening, books falling out of shelves, cats miaowing, dogs barking etc.
-@fluffy2560

Austria had at least 10 last year. Italy has had a fair few aswell.

Hungary has earthquakes.

Usually they are small and hardly noticeable - swaying lamps, cupboard doors opening, books falling out of shelves, cats miaowing, dogs barking etc.
-@fluffy2560

Austria had at least 10 last year. Italy has had a fair few as well.
-@SimCityAT

Italy is well known for earthquakes.  And volcanoes come to think of it.

Earthquakes in Austra https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/austria.html

Earthquakes in Hungary https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/hungary.html

As you know I have lived in Hungary for many years, currently living in Turkey (cheap, very friendly people, everything is close (however not EU/Schengen))
Stay in Turkey, but not very stable (also applies to Hungary in a certain extent)
Go back to Netherlands (they speak Dutch which is a plus, also things are very very well arranged, but so so expenses, very sad is that people who refuse to take subsidies, un-employment benefits, ... are really lostm, we have to pay massive taxes on the fact that you have (limited) capital.
I think timing to leave Hungary was right, perhaps the price for selling our property was too low, but not too bad.
Amazingly property prices overhere were increasing quite a bit (I almost feel guilty), still I do not feel comfortable

I know Hungary quite well, but can you give the additional pluses or minuses compared to a year ago.
-@cdw057

What about places like Curacao, Sint Maartin, Bonaire, Saba etc? 

I wouldn't suggest Suriname.

Chances of unrest in Turkey are very high. Erdogan was caught out by the quake. He cut the Army down due to fear of another coup attempt. The Army would normally respond in these cases. He's replaced it with an ineffectual and underfunded rescue organisation. And then there's the mad economics.

"Aftershocks" of the quakes are going to be felt right into the election period. I cannot see him surviving it politically. There are 33,000 dead and it's climbing all the time. And all those people had relatives. And they are a lot of voters.

-@cdw057

What about places like Curacao, Sint Maartin, Bonaire, Saba etc?

I wouldn't suggest Suriname.

Chances of unrest in Turkey are very high. Erdogan was caught out by the quake. He cut the Army down due to fear of another coup attempt. The Army would normal respond in these cases. He's replaced it with an ineffectual and underfunded rescue organisation. And then there's the mad economics.

"Aftershocks" of the quakes are going to be felt right into the election period. I cannot see him surviving it politically. There are 33,000 dead and it's climbing all the time. And all those people had relatives. And they are a lot of voters.
-@fluffy2560

20 odd years ago he raised taxes for an earthquake fund in situations like now. But the money is missing so people aren't happy.

20 odd years ago he raised taxes for an earthquake fund in situations like now. But the money is missing so people aren't happy.
-@SimCityAT

Yes, I forgot about that.  Another nail in his coffin.

@fluffy2560 So little coffin, so many nails?

@fluffy2560 Well, I didn't know that... When we build a house, in the next couple of years, it shall be up to earthquake standard, then!

-@wavydavid

33,000 of them. Minimum.

Turkish officials detained or issued arrest warrants for 131 people allegedly involved in shoddy and illegal construction.

Experts estimated the earthquakes will cost Turkey upwards of £69bn.

-@wavydavid

33,000 of them. Minimum.
-@fluffy2560

36,000 now

-@wavydavid

33,000 of them. Minimum.
-@fluffy2560

36,000 now
-@SimCityAT

I heard 33,000 this morning and it's up again.

Terrible

Turkish officials detained or issued arrest warrants for 131 people allegedly involved in shoddy and illegal construction.
Experts estimated the earthquakes will cost Turkey upwards of £69bn.
-@SimCityAT

I am sure there's some justification for that BUT it looks like obvious scapegoating to divert attention. Someone authorised these buildings. And that someone was probably a political appointee.

Having been involved as an observer in rather dubious "plots" in an Asia country to do "stupid" things industrialising a residential building, or pushing technical requirements to the limits on buildings, it's simply greed that people regularly fail to observe building codes etc. Costs too much money to follow codes, someone's ego and pride gets hurt and the results is what we see. 

In my case, I told them to hire structural engineers with heavy insurance about professional misconduct or negligence. If they agreed the "stupid" things were acceptable, and something happened, then the structural engineers insurance company would pay out. Not really likely though - everyone will suddenly go bust the next day or only paid one premium. Enough to get the paper to help get paid for the dodgy work. 

They were interviewing a builder who said that he had not cut corners and his proof was his buildings were still standing and said that there were dodgy dealings going on. All you needed to do was had over a fistful of money over.

They were interviewing a builder who said that he had not cut corners and his proof was his buildings were still standing and said that there were dodgy dealings going on. All you needed to do was had over a fistful of money over.
-@SimCityAT

It's the same the world over.  In HU, buildings like houses don't get inspected. 

We're having some work done on our house.  Did we ask anyone about it? 

Nah, it's "repairs", replacing worn out stuff with new.  Literally that's what's going on. Honest gov.

@SimCityAT Indeed Bulgaria is an option as well :)

@SimCityAT Surinam is no option I think, I looked at it, but crime is an option (apart from political situation (volatile to say at the least))

@fluffy2560 Well, I didn't know that... When we build a house, in the next couple of years, it shall be up to earthquake standard, then!
-@wavydavid

Oh yes, earthquakes happen in Hungary.  There have been severe ones. I seem to recall - but didn't check - there was one late-1700s where maybe 100 people died. 

Mrs F told me she was a very young baby and still remembers everything shaking.  That would have been in the 1960s. 

I was in an minor earthquake in Kosovo.  It was one of the weirdest feelings. Caused panic amongst the locals.

But they are going on all the time. We don't notice most of them. 

Just shows how our planet is still a work in progress. Same for the inhabitants.

@SimCityAT Surinam is no option I think, I looked at it, but crime is an option (apart from political situation (volatile to say at the least))
-@cdw057

Unless you're from these places and have family, it hardly seems worthwhile going there.  Sint Maarten particularly seems small scale and potentially very claustrophobic.  In fact, having lived on several small islands for periods, it's definitely an acquired taste.

Have you considered Indonesia?

They still speak Dutch don't they?

I would think there could be civil unrest in Turkey sooner or later.

Lots of sad people there now.

It is expensive to globe hop and move.

I don't know if you've ever lived on a remote sort of Island like Indonesia but it has some up sides.

We lived on Maui in the 70's. Hippie daze...People know you and care.

Lived in Honolulu and then Hilo, defo like the city life better.

Island life takes some getting used to but if your retired and don't have to work it really is a healthy way to live.

No place is perfect. Hilo had the volcano erruptions , very remote and a bit scary to know your pretty much on your own with just the ocean around .

Eathquakes, floods, tornatoes, droughts, I'm afraid the palnet is going to undergo many natural ( Or manmade) changes with weather and climate.

I tend to lean on the manmade disastor side but nature can't be controlled either.

Hard to pin point big changes in Hungary during this past year.

I know the interest rates have gone up for people seeking to get a bank loan.

Food prices are going up but that's everywhere.

At least on an Island you can raid a pineapple field and get a fishing pole.

@Marilyn Tassy Apart from Bali I tink Indonesia is strong with Islam, very nice, but Dutch very unlikely. I like Indonesian food without a doubt, but living there unlikely. Even on Bali.

@Marilyn Tassy In one thing I can agree very much so, no place is no perfect, but on the on the other side all places have pluses as well. Netherlands very well organized (but a lot of crime nowadays), London, centre and good restaurants, but on the negative side arrogant English and crowded. Hungary (village), massive house and animals as a plus, negative many things to do for elderly people. Luxembourg, luxury living, great property, but expensive (managable with a good job, but ....)

Turkey is great from many perspectives but being outside EU alo has it drawbacks (I can elaborate later). Where I live Turkish and Russian (both I do not speak)

There isn't any huge problem with returning to Hungary.

You may find another house of perhaps decide to stay in an apt.

We moved 2 times back to the same state in the US.

New Mexico and Hawaii.

It was always a bit different each move.

You can never recreate an old experience.

I was only 20 the first time I moved to Maui and a new mom.

Moved away and returned to another Island in Hawaii but in my mid 40's with a teenager.

New Mexico we moved and didn't even think about working for over a year. We lived off some money from the sale of our home in Ca.

I sort of wish we had just bought a home in NM instead of wasting money on being lazy.

I would of bought in the neighborhood where they filmed some of that show,"Better Call Saul". At the time we could of paid cash for a house there, going prices for a lovely old home in that excusive area were under $150,000, now I don't even want to know what they sale for.

I used to live close to that neighorhood, just a block away in a nice condo so i walked my dog throughout that area almost daily. Very nice area near Old Town.

The seond time we moved to NM we worked and then it wasn't as fun as th first time around.

I've learned that one can never really go back but even so if you like a place there is always something new to discover as well.

@Marilyn Tassy In one thing I can agree very much so, no place is no perfect, but on the on the other side all places have pluses as well. Netherlands very well organized (but a lot of crime nowadays), London, centre and good restaurants, but on the negative side arrogant English and crowded. Hungary (village), massive house and animals as a plus, negative many things to do for elderly people. Luxembourg, luxury living, great property, but expensive (managable with a good job, but ....)
Turkey is great from many perspectives but being outside EU alo has it drawbacks (I can elaborate later). Where I live Turkish and Russian (both I do not speak)
-@cdw057

London is just crazy expensive, being British myself I couldn't and would never live there.

@cdw057

Glad that you are OK in Turkey and maybe not  effected so much by the earthquakes.

Regards Anns

-@cdw057

London is just crazy expensive, being British myself I couldn't and would never live there.
-@SimCityAT

I commuted to Uni in London.  It was too much. Very expensive and took up huge amounts of time over the years. 

I decided there and then that I could never do that sort of thing again. 

-@cdw057

-@SimCityAT

I commuted to Uni in London. It was too much. Very expensive and took up huge amounts of time over the years.

-@fluffy2560

My dad studied there in the 60's, but that was a different time. He was a music student so plenty of work playing the piano in back street bars and pubs. Student digs were affordable. His home town was in Northamptonshire and his dad worked for British Rail so had free transport home if he needed to visit home.

Now my Sister lived in Enfield, London in some Edwardian House that had been split into 2 apartments. They had been there for a few years had a mortgage but wasn't that bad as she and her husband at the time had to separate properties from the midlands and bought the property together but still needed a mortgage.

They lived on the top floor but the owners on the ground floor wished to start a family and return the place into a family home. (They were some well off doctor and city dealer) They paid my sister in cash 500k an offer she could not refuse as they had decided to move to Cardiff at that time.

They bought their house outright and the mortgage paid off.

Also in the news today, from 1st April 5% rise in council tax!!

@cdw057

• Namibia became very mainstream recently to attract wealthy expats.

So ifr you are wealthy that can be a good place for you.

• Bulgaria maybe relative cheap but troublesome.

Certainly not safe, hight crime, and various hardcore maffias: Varna is their HQ.

But what I did not seen anyone mentioned:

• Cuba.

Best healtcare in the world and since some semi opening affordable comfort. Well there are still goods and services what the country lack off, but overall can be a choice.

• Vietnam and Thailand also affordable, and carries many possibilities.

Just needs to pre-study about their culture/ what not to do. Like they don't care diplomatic trouble land even tourist in hellish prisons to die there if they dare to criticize the royal family. But when someone aware of what NOT to do nice places.

-@cdw057

-@SimCityAT

I commuted to Uni in London. It was too much. Very expensive and took up huge amounts of time over the years.

-@fluffy2560

My dad studied there in the 60's, but that was a different time. He was a music student so plenty of work playing the piano in back street bars and pubs. Student digs were affordable. His home town was in Northamptonshire and his dad worked for British Rail so had free transport home if he needed to visit home.

Now my Sister lived in Enfield, London in some Edwardian House that had been split into 2 apartments. They had been there for a few years had a mortgage but wasn't that bad as she and her husband at the time had to separate properties from the midlands and bought the property together but still needed a mortgage.
They lived on the top floor but the owners on the ground floor wished to start a family and return the place into a family home. (They were some well off doctor and city dealer) They paid my sister in cash 500k an offer she could not refuse as they had decided to move to Cardiff at that time.

-@SimCityAT

Oh, Enfield. My SIL lives there and one of my brothers has a house just up the motorway.  Not an ideal place.  Moving to Wales has to be a good idea.   Same bro has a wife from Wales and they maintain a house there inherited from her mother.

Actually now I mention it, Wales has become quite popular with the English - free prescriptions, easier and slow life, nice scenery etc.  I even thought about going somewhere like North Wales - if (and more likely when) we leave  Hungary.   I even looked at the Isle of Man. It's not that expensive but one needs money to live well there.  And of course, it's a small island.  Expensive to get off it.

-@cdw057

-@SimCityAT

-@fluffy2560

-@SimCityAT

My eldest siter was about to get a divoce from her first husband in Ca.

She had bought a package for 2 to visit England and France in the late 1960's.

It was for the two of them but she was done with the marriage before the trip happened.

She was going to take me, my mother said she would pay for my trip. I was just 15 and mom thought it would be interesting for a summer trip.

Mom was very working class and it was a big deal for her to come up with the money for that but she saw when something was worthwhile and somehow always had the funds ready.

Well, my then 21 year old married sister told the eldest to take her instead since I was too young to be much fun or compnay .

Bummer for me, not fun to be the youngest girl at times in a family....

My eldest sister decided when she arrived in England that she was staying.

She didn't even bother going to France with our other sister.

He married and English guy( Welsh actually) and lived there for 10 plus years. Worked at either NBC or ABC news with that guy Peter Jennigings. They lived in Belize Park, I know she said it was a really nice area but very expensive. Some old house that was turned into tiny apts.

I wish I had been able to see England back then , the late swinging 60's.

PS, Our middle sister never repaid the eldest for the trip, I could of told her that when I was 15 that she would never see a penny back from her!

I have no idea why my sister never moved back to the UK. He went through 4 husbands so she was free to go anywhere in between those times. She still is in communication with a couple of her old UK friends.

@Marilyn Tassy Apart from Bali I tink Indonesia is strong with Islam, very nice, but Dutch very unlikely. I like Indonesian food without a doubt, but living there unlikely. Even on Bali.
-@cdw057

You can laways be a ,"snow bird" live in one place half the year and the other half anywhere else in the world.

As was suggested, why not look at Cuba?

Nice weather, low cost.

We looked into it years ago but stopped only because as an American I am not really,"allowed" there.

They also refuse to pay your US SS, retirement funds there.

There are several countries that the US has restirctions against and Cuba is one of them.

As an EU citizen not collecting retirement, you might enjoy it there?

As was suggested, why not look at Cuba?
Nice weather, low cost.
We looked into it years ago but stopped only because as an American I am not really,"allowed" there.
They also refuse to pay your US SS, retirement funds there.
There are several countries that the US has restirctions against and Cuba is one of them.
As an EU citizen not collecting retirement, you might enjoy it there?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Could always jetski to Miami and cash the retirement cheques there. Or maybe an offshore USD jurisdiction that issues a USD payment card.

I tried to go to Cuba once when I was in the Caribbean.  I just wanted to have  a look around while I was in the area.

Everything online is about US citizens visiting Cuba and nothing for non-US citizens.  It's all various forms and rubber stamps.  Absolutely irrelevant to non-US people.

It's really quite difficult to get to if you have to go via the USA. I would have had to fly into Miami, then to Mexico City, then to Cuba itself.   Would have taken longer than I wanted to spend on it.

So despite all the "isolation", it is possible to get there and spend US dollars if one is determined and one has oodles of time. 

IDK but big bro would know if a US citizen was in Cuba and they would stop all SS payments until you left the country.

I'd never mess with the US SS. They could even find a way to cut you off for good if you bend the rules. Only rich people can bend the rules and get away with it.

Belize isn't too far away from Cuba...

The problem with Belize is at least when were visited over 25 years ago, it was a bit too 3rd world unless you were maga rich and lived on one of the Cayes off the mainland.

Belize city at the time had an open sewer and all waste went right into the ocean! I saw open sewer lines in the city and the smell with humidity was a bit much!

The US has Cuba on the same no-go list as N. Korea!

Moldava and about 9 other countries are also on their list of none friendly countries, you need speacial permission toe get you SS in these other few countries. Too much red tape for me!

Hungarians are fee to travel to Cuba as far as I know.

@Marilyn Tassy

Well Hungarians have a traditionaly friendly relationship with Cuba.

Also with Vietnam.

Both is a heritage from the "gulash communism" era.

Things were a bit tense with Vietnam from late 2000's to mid 2010's because of their maffias, especially the drug maffia, but that is mostly settled.

There are many mixed marriages between Hungarian - Cuban couples, mostly because who come here prefered to remain here.

@Marilyn Tassy
Well Hungarians have a traditionaly friendly relationship with Cuba.
Also with Vietnam.
Both is a heritage from the "gulash communism" era.

Things were a bit tense with Vietnam from late 2000's to mid 2010's because of their maffias, especially the drug maffia, but that is mostly settled.

There are many mixed marriages between Hungarian - Cuban couples, mostly because who come here prefered to remain here.
-@sjbabilon5

Got any links and stats on that?

I've never met anyone Hungarian shacked up with a Cuban.

I've met Hungarians with German, British, Ukrainian, Austrian and Thai but never anyone from Cuba.

One of my kids knows a Vietnamese-Hungarian.  But only one.

I did know someone HU with a Russian wife but that was eons ago.