Buying green coffee in Brazil

Was looking for a way to get green (unroasted) coffee beans in Brazil.  I thought it would be trivial, since Brazil is the world's largest coffee exporter.  But I have received mostly blank stares.  In the US, I could get small bags or large canvas bags (30 kg), shipped from a third party that must have dealt directly with coffee farms.  Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to get unroasted coffee, preferably directly from a fazenda?

@James Lyke Did you find out about that?  I have always wondered about the quality of the coffee beans.  I would really like to know where to get the best coffee in RIo and how the process from farm to cup works.....

I drink too much coffee and I am hoping that getting the best coffee will allow me to appreciate it more and decrease my consumption.

only time you could is if you know a farm not run by the coffee cartels. also not something you may want to seek out as in most cases they think you are going to buy in bulk. which again would have official channels to follow. May need to grow your own lol

@Mikeflanagan Coffee cartels - are those criminal groups or more of a reference to the business term?  I actually would not mind growing my own but I don't want to be branded as a "bad gringo" for doing that.  I purchased several acres in the Sierra Mountains to start my own vineyard but the illegal pot farms nearby operated by the Mexican cartels threw cold water on this endeavor.  Is this the same situation?

Without my reply you have awnsered your question. and to reply to your first question there, brazil its one and the same for business or other. Like in my neighborhood used to be high levels of crime until they found a gambiarra from what I understand was more or less of what was going on, so now the gangsters in our area are a security company by day run the local internet, run the groceries. excluding atacadaos. and its been that way for about 30 years.

One thing I have learned here is brazil is one country to have order amongst chaos lol

@Mikeflanagan Thank you for the clarification.  I guess that the difference between a crime and a business is whether there is an applicable law.  No worries.  If the system works, then it works....

Regarding getting good coffee, then the best is to go to the grocery store and buy in small amounts rather than in bulk - unless I decide to open a coffee shop or something like that but this is not currently on my mind.

10/25/23  @Pablo888.  The coffee market in Brazil was rigorously regulated from early in the 20th Century until the 1990s, very much including the sale of green beans.  It's probably legal now, although I've never seen them at retail, a market never having developed for them.  We only buy whole beans and grind them every morning ourselves, but they're already roasted.  We buy them by the kilo and most brands label them "Espresso", although they're really not.  Unless they're labeled "Arabica", I assume that they're from the new Robusta cultivars -- see below.

Embrapa, the Brazilian Agriculture and Livestock Research Corporation, connected to the Ministry of Agriculture, (https://www.embrapa.br/) has made many longterm research investments in coffee, especially in two ongoing projects, (1.) developing Robusta cultivars that have more qualities usually found in Arabica, and that grow better in a range of Brazilian soils and climates, and (2.) developing Arabica cultivars that are more resilient to pests and climate change.  They've made a lot of progress on both, and especially on the first.  If you go ahead with your hopes of growing your own, Embrapa research can probably help you find cultivars that will be successful at your location.

@abthree  Thank you very much for the link.  Good reading material.

Was looking for a way to get green (unroasted) coffee beans in Brazil.  I thought it would be trivial, since Brazil is the world's largest coffee exporter.  But I have received mostly blank stares.  In the US, I could get small bags or large canvas bags (30 kg), shipped from a third party that must have dealt directly with coffee farms.  Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to get unroasted coffee, preferably directly from a fazenda?

-@James Lyke

You will need to pack your bags and travel towards where Coffee is grown. Assuming there is, someone is willing to sell you green coffee.  Most rather want to sell it to wholesalers and your garden variety coffee shop owner. 

There used to be a trade magazine aimed towards folks on the coffee ... One of these...

Here are some publications...

https://revistaespresso.com.br/

The print version can be found at some fancy coffee shops . The above is a good rag, for you to scour pages and take addresses.

https://revistacafeicultura.com.br/

https://revistaespresso.com.br/

Oddly enough, Providence, RI, had a pioneer on roasting their coffee in location, both to be brewed or sold by the pound...

Thecoffeeexchange.com

(401) 273-1198

207 Wickenden St Providence, RI 02903

I am yet to see anyone in Brazil do this. They had a converted single family home, at the bottom of the hill, with an outdoor wood deck. Upon entering indoors, you were greeted by the counter staff, and behind them, a real working roasting machine. By the counter, you had several wooden bins with your global choice of on premises and on your order,  roasted coffee.

This was the time where you could pick up a copy of your daily news ( The Providence Journal )  or your weekly Arts, Sex Classified , Events, Food and Movie Critics weekly rag, then run by the now defunct Phoenix ) and read while sipping your coffee listening to some background Jazz/Blues tunes .

Very few if none retailers create this experience at here. Outside your fashionable Starbucks Joe Joint, most every other retailer offers some lame Italian Expresso machine and no choice of Coffee du Jour. 

I recall having some interesting conversation, way back in Quincy,MA, with a Dunkin Donuts Graveyard Shift Manager, who so happened to be a Brazilian Female, and she then confided me, the gross margin for your average lame "Regulah cup of Joe" ( not the Coolata or any other fancy and pricey beverage ) , before overhead, was about 1000% ( yes,, one thousand per cent ). Your gross on pastries, tops, 30% .  Coffee paid rent, made payroll, met your franchise fee,  and fattened your banking account. Hence why they sold Iced Coffee by the galons.  Coffee alone carried the store!

So, whatever you think about bringing to the States, you are skipping a gold mine in Brazil. 

@sprealestatebroker.... This isn't as challenging as you suggested. Any local *Fazenda Ambiental* store located in Brazil is where the OP can purchase it. Simply conduct your own research or consult the locals, as they have scattered throughout the states of Brazil.

@sprealestatebroker I was working with Peets Coffee as a client in the 2000 timeframe just before it went IPO for the first time.  Where you drink coffee in North America says a lot about someone's preferences - and some may venture even character.  For instance I have always been a Peets fan whereas my wife tends to go Starbucks.  The choice of beans and blend as well as the roasting process makes a big difference - and the up-charge is significant.  I agree that coffee is a gold mine.  I can't wait to taste the local Brazilian coffee.

Thank you for the links.  It's interesting to read about the various varieties from all over the world.

@Nomad Mundo Thank you for the information.  Are you referring to http://www.fafbrazil.com/Coffee.php?op=Home?  Sounds like a great farm to cup initiative.  Are there more of similar suppliers?  Just curious.

@Pablo888... Yes... You can just Google it according to your location and you gonna find lots of options to buy from!1f600.svg

@sprealestatebroker.... This isn't as challenging as you suggested. Any local *Fazenda Ambiental* store located in Brazil is where the OP can purchase it. Simply conduct your own research or consult the locals, as they have scattered throughout the states of Brazil.

-@Nomad Mundo

Hence, the "pack your bags" and locate where such farms  are. The trade magazine will help him to actually locate these farms.  He can compile a list and hit the road.   

I| take you haven't bothered to read my post reply thoroughly , haven't you ?

@sprealestatebroker I was working with Peets Coffee as a client in the 2000 timeframe just before it went IPO for the first time.  Where you drink coffee in North America says a lot about someone's preferences - and some may venture even character.  For instance I have always been a Peets fan whereas my wife tends to go Starbucks.  The choice of beans and blend as well as the roasting process makes a big difference - and the up-charge is significant.  I agree that coffee is a gold mine.  I can't wait to taste the local Brazilian coffee.
Thank you for the links.  It's interesting to read about the various varieties from all over the world.

-@Pablo888

You are welcomed. I went once to a Peets location, by Providence RI Thayer Street.  Great vibe, ambience.  A bit too posh I may add.   But with the right zip code, it could not go wrong.

The Expresso Magazine gave me an insight of the subtle differences on Coffee Grown by  different farms. Each farm grows its own specialty.  I used to browse old issues while taking my sweet coffee. 

It used to be that Sao Paulo was a coffee growing State, which latter moved over the Parana State. Parana had too many issues with severe cold winters to the risk of burning too many coffee bean trees.   

Folks eventually found out the hilly country side of Minas Gerais State had the perfect top soil and seasonal climate to ensure consistent harvesting seasons without severe losses.

So, once you pinpoint your Minas Gerais Farms., then rent your ride, and cross along the Minas State for your procurement journey. 

While at it, me not being from Minas, the state is famous for its hearty countryside cousine, and a a quality producer of dairy, specially their fresh cheeses.  Also great on Sugar Cane Distiled Spirits ( Cachaca ). 

It's a trip worth making in person. A few phone calls won't do it. You need to sip product, see how it is grown.

Some final thoughts...

Santos-SP is and used to be the Seaport where bags of coffee were exported. Such as when you hit the city from Sao Paulo by Via Anchieta Highway and Pedro Taques Highway, you will be entering upon the Historical Downtown/Valongo District, which is the port district. 

The first thing that hits your senses, and I believe it still does, is the strong scent of roasted coffee,  The Valongo is where the port is and it features  the Coffee Museum.

While in Sao Paulo, by the way...

Edificio Copan-Avenida Ipiranga,200-República,São Paulo/SP  01046-925

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sfu25Hi6a1wpJkpq5

This building above , at the ground level, houses a great standing coffee shop, where the Authentic Santos Export Grade Coffee is roasted and poured. The shopkeeper is old  school, no wifi broadband, no silly questions ( a bit rambunctious type ), seldom any wannabe hipster to be spotted.  But his coffee is what makes people still go there for a sip.

@sprealestatebroker Again, thank you for the great info.  I will definitely be planning a Brazil "coffee" tour in the future.

1f44d.svgI did it champ!

you are welcomed....

Write down these regions/towns in Minas Gerais, all known for their coffee growing heritage...

Patrocínio

Monte Carmelo

Araguari,

Patos de Minas

Campos Altos

Unaí,

Serra do Salitre

São Gotardo,

Araxá  ( definetively a must )

Carmo do Paranaíba.

Guaxupé ( another must see )

A Coffee Grower Coop

https://www.cooxupe.com.br/

Certified Fair Trade Coffee growing region...

http://www.cerradomineiro.org/

Coffee Growers Trade Rag

https://www.cafepoint.com.br

@James Lyke

Not to be undone, and always with a follow up to make sure I can correct myself on my previous suggestions....

Santos still makes up for 82% of Brazilian Bulk Coffee Exports. So it stands to reason to go there to find your exporter, freight forwarder, customs broker, sniff out samples at the warehouse.

Besides, the Coffee trading  district has  are companies servicing the industry all clustered on Historic Downtown, AKA, Valongo, not far from the Port Authority and Shipping Docks. The whole place reeks in history, and bygone derelict architectural gems.

It should no substitute to find your  Minas Gerais State based Farmers, so as to learn about how they grow their harvest and sample their on the spot roasted grown variety.  This lenghty expedition should set your foundation to a great story you will tell your  sipping  and bag of a roast  retail customers. Every sip and serving has some history. That is marketing 101.

Right beneath there is a  link is for a Coffee Exporters Council or Guild. I went directly to the Membership Directory for your quick perusal.  There are some coffee grower cooperatives in it as well.  Just google every one of them.

https://www.cecafe.com.br/conheca-o-cecafe/associados/

Then there is this Growers and Exporters Trade Group....

https://www.abic.com.br/institucional/i … ssociadas/

Notice the list grades purity, variety, issued certifications, location, roasted grade.

There are tabs for Farms, Trade Unions, Industry Suppliers.

You can download the entire lists by category on Excel or PDF

About 1,853  entries on growers alone !!!

Knock yourself out.

i9JmloW3jG4?si=AI65BNCWapTgWEQg

My wife and I created and built a Brazilian Coffeehouse in MD. Aqui%20Brazilian%20CoffeeAqui Brazilian Coffee.  It was years ago, but we were members of the Specialty Coffee Association which will have Brazilian Coffee Members.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@roddiesho

11/01/23  A search on "café em grão verde" in Mercado Livre will give you some retail sellers of unroasted coffee coffee beans in consumer quantities.  Be sure that the product description contains the words "verde" or "cru", and does not contain the word "torrado", because the search will turn up some roasted whole-bean coffees, as well.