Driving school for Filipinos...

Not that Filipinos NEED driver's ed or anything. *cough* But I'm reading an article today on Inquirer.net .

It's about the cost of driving school which is now mandatory to get a license for newbies. They cited one person paid over 11,000 php when it was all said and done.

But the part I find crazy? Separate fees for manual and automatic transmission. Automatics COST MORE to learn. They cited a school charges P4950 for manual trans and P6400 for automatic. Seriously this boggles me.

Driving schools are way cheaper than in Europe! Average driving skills consequently show then 😂😂

I could definitely be wrong here, but I think the higher charge for auto is because the auto costs much more from dealer then standard thus the school charges more to recoup the higher cost they invested for the car/insurance etc...

Driving schools are way cheaper than in Europe! Average driving skills consequently show then 😂😂
-@Tdionnet

True and of course in Europe not everyone passes first time ;) No examiner (at least here in the UK) will take a back hander. My gorgeous Filipina neighbour passed her driving test on the fifth attempt, bless her.

Hello everyone,

@Larry Fisher, Please note that I have edited the title of this thread to make it...let's say.... more friendly.1f609.svg

Recent threads will automatically appear in the weekly newsletter so a little change was needed here.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl OK 👍 👌

12 years ago Ben, the better half upgraded his bike license to a car  ticket in PH.

{and simply 500 pesos under the counter, never driven a car in his life and guess what, no accidents in all those years, bike or car.

Cheers, Steve.

Not that Filipinos NEED driver's ed or anything. *cough* But I'm reading an article today on Inquirer.net .
It's about the cost of driving school which is now mandatory to get a license for newbies. They cited one person paid over 11,000 php when it was all said and done.

But the part I find crazy? Separate fees for manual and automatic transmission. Automatics COST MORE to learn. They cited a school charges P4950 for manual trans and P6400 for automatic. Seriously this boggles me.
-@Larry Fisher

I owned a private Driving School in Chicago from 1969 to 1974. We charged $15.95 per hour. The number of hours varied, depending on age, hand & co-ordination, confidence.

Some students only required between 6 to 8 hours, on occasion some others 20 to 25 hours. I'm talking about private behind the wheel lessons.

(Teaching them how to drive with confidence, just not how to pass the driving test.)

12 years ago Ben, the better half upgraded his bike license to a car ticket in PH.
{and simply 500 pesos under the counter, never driven a car in his life and guess what, no accidents in all those years, bike or car.
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

See my post after yours . . . . My school was located in Lombard, Illinois a suburb of Chicago. In an urban area like Chicago the worst thing you could do is suggest to a student to pay under the table. I wouldn't like to have that person driving down my street when I had young children.

Side note, actually witnessed at the Secretary of State testing facility. The student paid the examiner $5 to get a failing grade to passing. The examiner opened the door and stepped out, the student hit the gas in reverse accidentally, knocking the examiner to the ground.

Honestly, I don't think I've had any issues with four-wheel drivers.  It's the motorcycles and tricycles that pull out without warning or even looking, hanging in the fast lane when there is a perfectly good slow lane on the right.  Driving at dusk or into the night without any lights or even reflectors.

@Larry Fisher The law was passed in 2019 and we had thought we needed to go to driving school last year for renewal. However, was actually happened was that, in order to get a 10 year license we need to pass an online course and shiw the certificate. Driving schools alsi offered the certificate but not mandatory ti go through them. Without the online course certificate you could only renew for 5 years. I know you mentioned newbies which talks about first time licensees who would mostly be Filipinos; most foreigners obtain conversion licenses based on their home country drivers licenses and there i suspect a full blown driver's course is not required either. We use the dumaguete LTO. You cab check LTO online to see  what is required in your situation.

@danfinn I'm not worried about it for myself. I'm pretty sure when I go to LTO and show my license and endorsements I will get everything. I have a CMV class A license, no restrictions, give me 80,000 lbs and 18 wheels  and 18 speed and a time you want it delivered. As well as at least 100k miles on Harleys, and a few 1/4 mile passes.

I was just curious about the difference in fees they charge to teach automatics...just seems so odd to charge more. And shouldn't a manual require more teaching?