Moving to Casablanca, any advice is welcomed.

Greetings everyone,

I am an American who has been living overseas for the past 11 years and will be moving to Casablanca this summer.

I am looking forward to the new journey and learning a new culture and city. I would love to get some advice/insight about expat life in Casablanca. Nice areas to live, contacts that might help to find an apartment, what to expect, etc.

It would be great to chat with anyone who has some time. Or if you just want to drop a few lines, that would be excellent as well. Thanks.

Jay

Hello,

I'm french and I'm living in Morocco for now 25 years. The best areas to live in Casablanca are Anfa, Racine or Gauthier.

Orherwise Casablanca is the Economic Capital of the country. You should visit the Hassan II mosquee. For me the nicest of Morocco is the south of the country. Ouarzazate and the desert at Mehamid Ghizlane, the rose valley etc… Essaouira, Marrakech and the country side.

Fes is a very special city with an exceptional souk. You should enjoy your stay. People speak french a lot and spanish in the north (Tanger).

If you are not used with muslim religion, you will live special time during the month of Ramadan. If you have the chance to share a ftour (this is the first meal of the day at the sunset) do it.

I hope it will help you. Have a good stay and enjoy as much as you can.

@Z&M

Thank you very much for taking the time to say hello and drop me a few lines. I am happy to hear you have been living there for 25 years. You must really like it and it must have a lot to offer.

I am excited about my new journey there. I have been living in Indonesia for the past 9 years and my wife and son will be coming with me to Morocco.  I was looking at the map and it seemed living near this big park, Anfa Park, would be a nice area. Where we could get some air and walk around a bit.  Would that be a decent area in your opinion?

There does seem to be some nice beaches in various areas of Morocco also. We do hope to do some exploring the south and the north as we get time.  Where in France are you from? My grandfather was originally from France and emigrated to California when he was quite young. 

Thank you again for your message. 

Jay

@jangress hi

You can contact me in my Instagram if you want some advices, I'm currently living in Casablanca and I hope chatting with me would be useful to you. This is my Instagram : ******

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : For security reasons, do not share contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@jangress

Hi Jay --

Casa is great.  My wife and I have been living here for the past eight months and really enjoy it and will be here, at least, for another full year.  Depending on your budget would determine the part of the city where you might want to start looking for places.  For restaurants, cafes and entertainment, Gauthier and Racine are good places to consider.  You'll hear Maarif mentioned, as it's a large encompassing area with many neighborhoods, including Val Fleury, where we presently live.  Val Fleury and Beausejour are also good areas.  Inevitably CFC (Casa Finance City/Anfa Place) will be the trendy place to live, but it's still too new and doesn't yet have a base of restaurants and retail.   

I've lived aboard most of my adult life and in coming to Casa, I expected an ex pat community that pretty much hung around each other in a few spots.  Not really the case, and not at all what I expected, as ex pats as scattered across the metro and aren't prone to gravitating to any particular spots.  People simply hang out where they feel like hanging out.  Casa is very inviting and it's easy to feel comfortable here.  Moroccans, in general, are very helpful and patient when dealing with foreigners.  Just making the effort to communicate in French or Darija opens many doors.

Cheers,

Bryan

@jangress

Trying to contact you through email....

@jangress

Contact me at ***. i know the person to help you.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct