Application for L card (prevously D card) long term stay

@hssn601

same reply I got from my commune

To get a L card should we have a b card first?

To get a L card should we have a b card first?
-@maharaji1984

No No :)

Just ask one when you have worked (paying tax) for 5 years

@maharaji1984

no

Is there anyone who got their L card after 5 months since May 25th 2023?

@hssn601
same reply I got from my commune
-@Tanvirul Hoque

Which commune?

Hi everyone,

I have a similar problem. I was registered as a student during my first year in Belgium and it's quite hard for to calculate correctly the day when I can apply for an L card.

I tried to ask by email (infodesk@ibz.fgov.be) but they just answered that I should ask my gemente. I live in Antwerp and I have negative experience with them answering.

Maybe, somebody can share contacts that at least reply?

You cannt expect an exact date. you have in your mind the period you are under student visa and the period you are under work/single permit => you can calculate for sure

and just go to commune by then

Hello Peter John,

The calculation is quite simple, if you arrived as a student, you must calculate from the date of issue that appears on your first A card as a student to the first day that appears on your A card as an employee (or worker), this period must be divided by 2, for example if you have been a student for 3 years and the date of issue of your first A card is October 1, 2017 and you received an A card as an employee or worker on July 1, 2021.   You need to calculate (36+8)/2= 22months, if you're still working so far (you've worked 30 months), in total you'll have 52 months out of 60 months until application. which should be somewhere around SEPTEMBER 2024. You can do the math yourself accurately.

That way, you can estimate a date well in advance and work up the courage to go to City Hall so that you don't keep wasting time. As you know, an appointment to some city halls takes too long.

i wish you good luck.

@bozonchik

The calculation is straightforward.

As a student, determine the duration from the issuance date of your first A card to the initial day on your A card as an employee. Divide this period by 2.

For example, if you were a student for 3 years and your first A card was issued on October 1, 2017, and you received an A card as an employee on July 1, 2021, the calculation would be (36+8)/2 = 22 months. If you are still employed (having worked for 30 months), you have a total of 52 months out of 60. This suggests that you would aim to submit your application around September 2024.

This way, you can plan well in advance, and avoid unnecessary delays, considering that obtaining appointments at some city halls can be time-consuming. Best of luck with your application!

@Mu Jaycee

Thanks!

That's actually a worse-case estimation. I was hoping that there are clear rules and I can estimate more accurately, because for me the transition period between student and job was relatively long (a few months). Basically, I was paying taxes for around 3 months and only then I got a new A card with an employee status.