Menu
Expat.com

tourist visa from HK

Last activity 19 March 2023 by michaelcohen717

stuleer

Hi,

my wife and I were married in Hong Kong almost 10 years ago. I'm an American and we both live in Hong Kong. We have tried numerous times to get her a visa so I can take her back to the states just for a visit; family and friends. She has been rejected 4 times. All but one time i filed the paper work. One time i engaged a USA lawyer and that didn't work. I just wasted $1,300.

Both my wife and i have Hong Kong permanent resident status. We both have full-time jobs in Hong Kong. She has a teenage daughter living in our Philippine house which is in my wife's name. But each time she goes into the interview they say there's not enough reasons to show she will return to Asia after the trip. They keep saying that she will overstay her visa and probably  stay in America.

One agent said to her, "you married an American, why don't you want to move to America?" When my wife told her we have jobs, etc, etc. the agent told my wife she is lying. Of course my wife walked out of the interview with tears.

We are not planning to move to the USA any time soon, but i want to take her back to even see if she might want to move there.

i am originally from upstate NY and i know for sure she would hate the long cold winters. So I really have no idea as to where we would move to in the usa. She tells me she would follow me to wherever i choose to go, but i know she would not be happy in a cold place, so I would not do that.

Has anyone been through this many rejections? I am wondering if there is a quota US immigration uses.........or do they just not like filipinos.

mugteck

Did you try a spousal visa? 

Jeffery M Brown

@stuleer I can only guess it has something to do with a Filipino being in Hong Kong seeking the Visa it comes up as a Red Flag.

Cherryann01

Can you not get a letter from your boss in Hong Kong explaining about your wife’s employment, giving start date, background information etc. Maybe if he or she was willing to give your wife a good written reference explaining how important she is to the company and any future work projects she is involved in, that may help.

Just an idea

stuleer

Thanks, but went through all that.

Yes, i'm sure it comes up as a SUPER red flag. Many filipinas here in HK have similar situations. I guess my question is, does this think happen cause USA states a quota per year..........or the agent got out of bed on the wrong side.............or just hates filipinas? not that even of those are the answers I can't change that.

All i can say is it's a good thing i cannot accompany her into the interview as i know I would unleash a lot of bad words, haha. And then we would surely be blacklisted for sure.

Just wondering if anyone had that kind of problem and got around it.

The US consulate here only says," if you have been rejected just keep trying." Crap advice, haha.

stuleer

@Cherryann01 Hi, your idea as to having my wife's company write a letter is a very good idea. Thanks for that. I think that may be a good thing to try. Stu

Skip Scott

From your post info, and having lived in the HK expat community, I think that you don’t have deep ties to HK other than your income. I think if you had deeper financial ties. If she could show that you Owned a business, or your your condo, etc., would probably improve her chances. Show some compelling reason for you guys to return. Using your jobs as the foundation of her request isn’t as strong as showing assets that would draw her back, as jobs are available everywhere.

She needs to avoid any mention of a possible move to the states. When asked a question, answer with the fewest words possible. If the interviewer needs more, they will ask.

All of my comments suggestions are simply my opinion, though.

stuleer

thanks Skip for your suggestions.

michaelcohen717

@Skip Scott thanks very much but she lives there in the Philippines and I am in the states

michaelcohen717

@stuleer thanks but I’m talking about the Philippines

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles