Return ticket from Canada to Thailand

Hi I'm wondering if everyone gets a return ticket? I have no intentions of coming back however it appears you can have issues with air Canada or Thailand once arriving. It appears flex offers a refund if u cancel ur returning flight. My plan is Canada-Bangkok -Phuket-Bali approx 40 days in Thailand . Some I've read just ate the return ticket but if I can save 2k legit may as well. If u have any insight I'd appreciate it thanks

Hello copp72,

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have moved your thread to the Thailand forum (since it was posted in the Indonesia forum).

All the best

Bhavna

Hi I'm wondering if everyone gets a return ticket? I have no intentions of coming back however it appears you can have issues with air Canada or Thailand once arriving. It appears flex offers a refund if u cancel ur returning flight. My plan is Canada-Bangkok -Phuket-Bali approx 40 days in Thailand . Some I've read just ate the return ticket but if I can save 2k legit may as well. If u have any insight I'd appreciate it thanks
-@copp72

Most airlines don't like one way tickets. If you have a forwarding ticket out of Thailand,then there's no problem what so ever. Thai immigration has the right to ask for evidence of either a return ticket or a forwarding ticket. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

@Leeds forever!  Thanks makes sense appreciate your help!

copp72

You can book a short, one-way, FULL FARE, FULLY refundable flight out of Bangkok (anywhere; Danang, Vietnam is not too expensive).

Once you arrive in Thailand, cancel the flight and apply for your full refund.

copp72
You can book a short, one-way, FULL FARE, FULLY refundable flight out of Bangkok (anywhere; Danang, Vietnam is not too expensive).
-@OceanBeach92107

...or even a bus ticket to a neighbouring country.

copp72
-@OceanBeach92107

-@Aidan in HCMC

Which bus company in Thailand will cross the border to a neighboring country? 

There's a few, if you look

copp72
-@OceanBeach92107

-@Aidan in HCMC
Which bus company in Thailand will cross the border to a neighboring country?
-@Leeds forever!

good point. maybe it would be necessary to pre-purchase a bus ticket to the border and also pre-purchase a bus ticket from the border further into the neighboring country?

-@Aidan in HCMC

You have to cross the border on foot, then get back on the bus again. So, it's not same as having a forwarding ticket by air.

-@Aidan in HCMC
You have to cross the border on foot, then get back on the bus again. So, it's not same as having a forwarding ticket by air.
-@Leeds forever!

The travel receipt/bus ticket will state the departure point (eg. Bangkok) and the destination point (eg. Phnom Penh).

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you have never done this as you were unaware of bus routes from Thailand into Cambodia and Laos.

Often there isn't even a need to "cross the border on foot", as passengers are allowed to remain on the bus while the driver/tour operator presents your travel documents at an immigration window reserved for larger groups.

There is also the option of travelling by rail, on a sleeper train, out of Thailand. The immigration officials, in neither the departure nor the arrival country, will insist that the entire train disembark to clear immigration.

These options would be proof of onward travel from Thailand, which is what copp72 was concerned the airline/Thai immigration might insist on.

-@Aidan in HCMC
-@Leeds forever!

The travel receipt/bus ticket will state the departure point (eg. Bangkok) and the destination point (eg. Phnom Penh).

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you have never done this as you were unaware of bus routes from Thailand into Cambodia and Laos.
Often there isn't even a need to "cross the border on foot", as passengers are allowed to remain on the bus while the driver/tour operator presents your travel documents at an immigration window reserved for larger groups.

There is also the option of travelling by rail, on a sleeper train, out of Thailand. The immigration officials, in neither the departure nor the arrival country, will insist that the entire train disembark to clear immigration.

These options would be proof of onward travel from Thailand, which is what copp72 was concerned the airline/Thai immigration might insist on.
-@Aidan in HCMC

I've been living in Thailand for many years and before I settled down here I was here regularly a long time every year since 1989, so I think I know a thing or two. I asked because of the eventual need for a forwarding ticket,not for me because I would never ever consider taking a bus. A ticket for a bus trip to for example Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia isn't the same thing as a forwarding ticket by air and don't compare a train with a bus, it's also not the same thing. And, we're not talking about a tour with tour guides. We are talking about a forwarding ticket you can buy online to a neighboring country (or even further away) by any mean of transportation and being able to cross the border without the need to do it on foot. A bus trip where you have to cross the border on foot doesn't qualify in my opinion.

@Leeds forever!

In fact, they are all the same thing (air/rail/bus) from the viewpoint of Air Canada and/or Thai immigration, i.e. they are all proof of onward travel out of the country. All three of these options are available for purchase online.

Let's not lose track of the topic of this thread.

-@Aidan in HCMC
-@Leeds forever!

-@Aidan in HCMC
I've been living in Thailand for many years and before I settled down here I was here regularly a long time every year since 1989, so I think I know a thing or two. I asked because of the eventual need for a forwarding ticket,not for me because I would never ever consider taking a bus. A ticket for a bus trip to for example Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia isn't the same thing as a forwarding ticket by air and don't compare a train with a bus, it's also not the same thing. And, we're not talking about a tour with tour guides. We are talking about a forwarding ticket you can buy online to a neighboring country (or even further away) by any mean of transportation and being able to cross the border without the need to do it on foot. A bus trip where you have to cross the border on foot doesn't qualify in my opinion.
-@Leeds forever!

Luckily, your opinion isn't the deciding factor when travel documents are being considered by an airline agent or an immigration official.

The essential thing necessary (when/if required) is documentation of a confirmed commercial travel itinerary, providing proof of onward/through travel plans.

Prior to COVID, countless backpackers were fulfilling this requirement by purchasing a cheap, online bus ticket and either eating the cost or getting a refund after arrival.

Also, getting off a bus, requiring walking through a border checkpoint is a fairly common thing around the world.

Numerous times I purchased a Greyhound Bus ticket from Tijuana, Mexico to San Diego, California USA.

All passengers are required to exit the bus on the Mexican side, walk through the border checkpoint and reboard the bus on the USA side.

During COVID and the closure of land borders, that option wasn't available when entering Thailand, so onward travel definitely needed to be by whatever international flight was available.

Although my application for entry at the Phuket sandbox during COVID was rejected because I filed insurance proof incorrectly (and didn't have time to fix that before mandatory exit from Vietnam) I was able to confirm that a short flight reservation to a minor city in Eastern India would have fulfilled the requirement.

Train or bus or even private car service through a travel agency capable of providing such itineraries are usually acceptable to officials & agents, as long as they don't suspect that the paperwork is bogus.

If it was me traveling from the otherside of the world, I would hate having to explain-beg-plead to be let into the country (immigration having a bad day, etc...).  I'd play it safe and just buy a "throw-away' ticket.

I just did a plane ticket search, Bangkok - Phnom Pehn (Vietjet) one-way= $45 (USD).

Or worse case scenario...pull out your Roaming cellphone, and buy a immediate ticket online, and 10 minutes later politely show your recently bought follow-on ticket to immigration or airline check-in...problem solved.

With that said, I arrived on Oct 2022 at DMK on a one-way ticket. The immigration lady asked me "how long I was staying", and I said 45 days, plus I also mention I was applying fora 90 day / 1 year retiree visa...she nodded her head, and said with a smile..."have a nice day".

I fly into Thailand on one way tickets all the time.   the simple thing to do is to buy a refundable ticket to Hanoi or somewhere, or a cheap non refundable one if you wish.  I have NEVER had to show Thai immigration anything upon entry. I have ALWAYS had to show something to the airline when checking in for the flight.

bon voyage!

I fly into Thailand on one way tickets all the time.  the simple thing to do is to buy a refundable ticket to Hanoi or somewhere, or a cheap non refundable one if you wish. I have NEVER had to show Thai immigration anything upon entry. I have ALWAYS had to show something to the airline when checking in for the flight.
bon voyage!
-@Friendly G34

I think I said in my first reply that immigration "has the right" to ask for evidence of a return ticket or forwarding ticket.If they ask is another story. It did happen a lot at Suvarnabhumi during 2019 for unknown reasons and it was mentioned online at forums and other websites. Immigration rejected loads of people for not having 20k in cash or no return ticket or forwarding ticket.

@Leeds forever! Duly noted, sir!