Selling an apartment in SP

My mother inherited an apartment in SP. She's elderly, lives abroad, doesn't want it, and has tasked me to sell it and keep the proceeds. I live in the US and would like to receive the proceeds in my US bank, without losing too much in the process.

Lawyer is also asking me to decide if I want to register the apartment under her name before we sell, or to leave it as is and let the buyer take care of the transfer of property after the purchase. I am not understanding from the lawyer the pros and cons of each path.

Will appreciate any guidance on these two points, even if you can only help in one area. :)

Thank you.

I will take the listing, matter fact, I am taking an American for showings.   Depending on what it is, You could work out the details without ever taking wired money. 

PM if you will.

Lawyer is also asking me to decide if I want to register the apartment under her name before we sell,
Thank you.
-@USAJeff

Under the lawyer's name?

If so, that sounds a bit dodgy. If, at least on paper, she owns the place, perhaps there's a possibility she could sell the place out from under you.  Unless there's a good local reason or norm to do that, it's time to dump the lawyer.

My mother inherited an apartment in SP. She's elderly, lives abroad, doesn't want it, and has tasked me to sell it and keep the proceeds. I live in the US and would like to receive the proceeds in my US bank, without losing too much in the process.
Lawyer is also asking me to decide if I want to register the apartment under her name before we sell, or to leave it as is and let the buyer take care of the transfer of property after the purchase. I am not understanding from the lawyer the pros and cons of each path.

Will appreciate any guidance on these two points, even if you can only help in one area. smile.png
Thank you.
-@USAJeff

If she has it deeded to her name, and she is alive, you might want to have it as a transaction between the seller ( your mother ), and the prospective buyer. It eliminates unecessary added fees ( attorneys and mandatory fees ).

@sprealestatebroker Thank you. I'll PM you.

@Fred Sorry, it was unclear. “Her” referred to my mother. The inventory took 3 full years and the lawyer was recommended by a cousin, I really expected him to walk away in the middle of it. I think he's honest. Although you made me think about the power of attorney we had to give to someone from his office to represent my mother during the inventorio signature… gotta make sure the POA really ended after that signature.

Will appreciate any guidance on these two points, even if you can only help in one area. smile.png
Thank you.
-@USAJeff

Use your own attorney or facilitator. NEVER NEVER NEVER use or trust a realtor in Brazil

@rraypo Thanks for the word of caution. But how do you go about selling an apartment without using a realtor? And can you be specific about the risks?

@rraypo Thanks for the word of caution. But how do you go about selling an apartment without using a realtor? And can you be specific about the risks?
-@USAJeff

I will send a PM and not air dirty laundry here

@Fred Sorry, it was unclear. “Her” referred to my mother. The inventory took 3 full years and the lawyer was recommended by a cousin, I really expected him to walk away in the middle of it. I think he's honest. Although you made me think about the power of attorney we had to give to someone from his office to represent my mother during the inventorio signature… gotta make sure the POA really ended after that signature.
-@USAJeff

It's Inventario ( not inventory. which is for stored merchandise  )  an equivalent to a probate sale  whose estate has been consumated. 

The Power of Attorney, or "Procuracao" depends entirely on the document's employed  language.

If you leave the attorney to consumate the sale, here's my five cents.  Estate Sales as seen by buyers as fire sales. 

Attorneys love to cash out and move on.  And to that extent, some brokers.   Lowball offers will come in droves if location has appeal.

Make sure he/she is not affiliated with the Firm   Sue, Grabbit & Runne LLC,, or else you will leave money in the table.

Thank you.
-@USAJeff

Have you sorted this out  already ?