Siem Reap apartment

I am relatively new to the forum even though I have been following since my love affair with Cambodia began when I was first here 4 years ago. I arrived in Phnom Penh one week ago and booked a guest house but I am quickly realizing this isn't working for me. I plan to go to Siem Reap for May.

Is it possible to get an apartment there for one month while I check it out the lifestyle there? I read that if you look around for an apartment yourself you can avoid the commission. But I have a friend here that said that is not true. The agent usually gets a flat commission regardless if the rent contract is 3 months or less (or whatever the agreement is with the owner) or a monthly commission for something longer.

That being said can anyone recommend a good agent in Siem Reap to contact?

Thanks all!

You can find an apartment for one month, or you can check into a guesthouse for same price. Best place to look is the Siem Reap expat facebook group. The commission thing is irrelevant - thats a deal between the landlord and the agent, and does not affect the tenant. Again, the SR Expat facebook group is the best way to contact agents.

@hdgh29 That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't do Facebook but you can also find something on Airbnb easily. I did this at first. Things changed a few times for me. I had a flexible place I was staying right by downtown and the landlady helped me out. You can book a week on the site and then just talk to the manager. This has worked well for me. We found a small apartment after on the ground floor with swimming pool and security gates for $180 a month. Signed year lease and paid first and last month up front. Been very happy there with alin. Of course she makes the place what it is. So thankful to have her.

@tchamp     Yes, you can rent month-to-month but your choices will be reduced. 

Two reputable agencies that I have used are Daka Kun in Taphul Village and Da Best Properties on the river, not far from Hwy 6.

I've used them both.  Tell them what you want and how much you're willing to pay.  They are very professional and helpful.