Private Health Care

Does anyone have experience with MGEN private health insurance in Portugal?  Thank you.

Hi yes we have been using MGEN for about 3 years now have not had any problems with them & they don't have an age limitation cover like most of the others they cover you until you either die or cancel

@Jean Denise Thanks for your quick response.  That's helpful to know.

@CBW123

Good morning Jean,

Yes we work with MGEN. And they are great! They do not have age restrictions and they cover pre-existing medical conditions after 1 year. Claims are dealt quote rapidly  if all the procedures are followed.

If you wish we can send you further information in english.

Kind regards,

Lean (Ibex Insurance)

Hi, can I have the Link from MGEN. I'm already abroad, therefore I ask kindly from the link

@lenagouveiaibex Hello, yes can you please send me more information about this private insurance. I have one right now but not too happy about it.

Thanks.

Julia

@lenagouveiaibex

hi. My electricity company is EDP which covers over 800,000 customers in Portugal. One of their benefits is that they offer all their customers their health plan which is great for us as I am 83 this month. Where insurance plans won't cover me, having their health coverage that greatly reduce your private insurance and other benefits and having a medical number good at public hospitals and  really cheap prescriptions, I am not sure I need my Medicare paid through my own US Social Security. Life is good in Portugal🙏

@juliajonesjy

Can you please send me your email address.

thank you.

Kind regards,

Lena

@Samsays

Hi,

The EDP offers a  plan which grants you discounts within their medical network.

MGEN is a medical insurance provider that offer medical policies in which you are covered for a capital insured.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Lena

@lenagouveiaibex

I know that but EDP health plan works for me and many others who use EDP for their electrical. You get great rates from leading private insurers including special prices on physicals and other services from top doctors.

couple that with my medical number obtained from the local public health centre and I also get the deep discounts Portuguese citizens get and I have the best rates from the public hospital and my choice of doctors from the top private hospitals in my area.

Like other EDP customers I don't need any other insurance including Medicare as a deduction from my US Social Security.

I love Portugal.

Hello! my partner is from the US and it I am from the EU. He will need a private health plan and MGEN has been recommended to him. He has a number of preexisting conditions and is not the youngest either. He takes a number of medications, some very expensive in the US (500$+ per month, which are covered here in the US by his medicare copay plan). Has anyone experience with getting meds in PT? Do you (US Expats) get onto the SNS to cover copay for meds? I am unclear how this works in PT.  We would like to move to PT next year. Thanks for your input.

If you use EDP the answer is easy. As a retired couple we pay less than €20/mo

@Stellablue26

if you use EDP the answer is easy. No preconditions or having an insurance company choose your doctor. One fee for all and you choose from a wide array of private clinics and what doctor to see. With the plan you pay a reduced fee. Also several other benefits and everyone pays a low monthly fee, regardless of age and medical problems. As a couple you will pay €20 per mo for the two of you and even get a discount on your electric bill.

EDP health plan

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 06#5637668

(Post #3)

@Samsays hello! Thanks for the info, I am sure it will be helpful. This health plan is not an insurance though, so probably won't count for the residence visa. Do you see that as an add-on to an insurance instead of the SNS?

@Stellablue26

NO. It is our only health plan

It is basically worth checking out. To get the D7 all I think you have to do is get an extension on your travel insurance but if you have a local attorney (which you should) he would know.

@CBW123

Mgen Insurance is a thief company. Not recommendable!

My insurance was supposed to cover both Portugal and Spain. One weekend in Spain, that I had to go to the hospital for an emergency, called customer care that only works from monday to friday 9-5pm… found out on internet that have agreement with one of hospitals available to which I went. After returning, despite providing all necessary and asked information, I only faced problems and could never recover the money back: over 300€! 

@CBW123
Mgen Insurance is a thief company. Not recommendable!

My insurance was supposed to cover both Portugal and Spain. One weekend in Spain, that I had to go to the hospital for an emergency, called customer care that only works from monday to friday 9-5pm… found out on internet that have agreement with one of hospitals available to which I went. After returning, despite providing all necessary and asked information, I only faced problems and could never recover the money back: over 300€! 

-@berbarq

What you refer to here leads to misinformation. Your post contains distorted, incomplete and erroneous information. MGEN Portugal covers ONLY the HNA network health care and ONLY hospitalisation costs, ambulatory care costs and medication costs. You can check this here on the MGEN website.

This is not the place to throw out your anger and personal frustrations... OK ? Thanks !

https://my.mgen.pt/reports/files/CG_2024.pdf

ARTIGO 8.º - Cobertura de Acesso à Rede HNA Espanha

A presente Condição Especial garante, quando contratada e nos termos fixados nas Condições Particulares do Contrato, as despesas de saúde abaixo indicadas realizadas em Espanha a seguir indicadas:

a) Despesas de Hospitalização, quando motivadas por Doença Manifestada ou acidente ocorrido durante o período de vigência do Contrato;

b) Despesas de Assistência Ambulatória;

c) Despesas com Medicamentos.

Rede HNA Espanha

https://www.hna.es/cuadro-medico/selector

I went to a HNA network hospital; to be precise, Vithas Hospital in Malaga, which is part of your network. Images can be uploaded if needed.

But also have to thank for having replied, in which is clearly visible m that anger and frustration only comes from your side. On my side, only resignation; reason why already asked to cancel my subscription.

Anger and frustration only comes from my side ??!...  You're new here, better inform yourself, OK?

I have nothing to do with MGEN. But, if you think you're entitled to reimbursement, and if you think your treatment is included in your health cover, all you have to do is complain. I'm sure they informed you at the clinic about the non-reimbursement.

Whether or not you understood the explanation is another matter...

I posted on this forum previously about private health care. I never mentioned company names, for the reason that Johnny stated. However, I would personally never ever buy private health insurance on Portugal again (needed it for initial D7 approval).

You have discovered certain of the limitations of these policies, starting with the inability to cancel them, except through excruciating minutely detailed procedures and ONLY at the very end of the initial contract! You cannot cancel them during any in-effect contract term!

Also, you will find often huge deductibles before you can actually claim, no doctors in your actual area (unless in Lisbon or Porto or Braga), and other exclusions.

This was my experience.

The public system is absolutely fantastic - BUT you need to understand how it works, and work within the framework of that. Do that, and you will be quite happy, in my experience. Fantastic professionals and very helpful.

@lenagouveiaibex

hi Jean ,

can you contact me so i can get a quote in english is thet possible ?